Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie questions re power...

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Newbie questions re power...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:11 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie questions re power...

I"ve been flying R/C since 1987, but this is my first electric airplane. Looking at the E-Flite Pulse XT 25E.

My flying requirements are mild aerobatics, along with smoothness and a bit of precision. I flew glow helicopters for a long time; have no desire to fly a plank that way, so zero 3D in my plans. Basically, I want an honest sport airplane. This model seems to fill that bill.

Here is my question: I want endurance as well. Would I get better flight times by going with the 25 motor or the 32 motor? Most of my flying with glow planes is at half throttle. And what battery (of the available E-Flite sticks; no exotic custom jobs, please... one step at a time)?

I haven't yet wrapped my head around this watts-to-pounds ratio thing, so I'm really clueless in regards to e-power. I'm still using nicads and NImH receiver batteries, charged on an Alpha 4, if that tells you anything...

FWIW, I plan on getting a serious charger, like that Hi-Tec multi-whatever. But that's for another post...

Old 07-07-2013, 11:19 PM
cubaneight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie questions re power...

Just had a look at the aeroplane on the Eflite website and If it were me, I'd go for the 32 & 4S setup. As for getting the best duration; that is always going to be down to flying style, good throttle management and weather conditions (not too windy).

C8
Old 07-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Their suggestion for Power 35 setup gives you about 500W and 7-8min flight time.
Their suggestion for Power 25 setup gives you about 250W and 10-11min flight times (doesn't make sense to me to run a motor that low, says it's capable to 35A and 600W).

Here's the tool I used to calculate that:
http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc.htm?castle&lang=en

Not sure what to suggest. I personally like the extra power (I don't fly 3D but I fly a lot of pattern) and I really love 1.20 size planes, which could use two of the 4S packs together for power.

Batteries with more mah will give you longer flight times too. You could try a 4000mah pack.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:29 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

The advice above is sound. I own several E-Flite/Hangar9 birds. The less expensive recommendation is ALWAYS under-powered. I'd go with the P-32. You'll be a lot happier.

As a newbie save yourself a lot of (expensive) rief and learn to use one of the free performance predictor programs (motorcalc, Drivecalc, etc)
Walt
All E since 92
Old 07-08-2013, 03:59 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, fellows.