Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Flying wing

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:56 AM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying wing

Anyone flying this NitroPlanes flying wing: http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-101-n...o-red-arf.html

If so......what do you think? Anything to be cautious of on the maiden?
Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 AM
yorkiepap
My Feedback: (18)

Hey John,
Yes, I have the NP Tech One Neptune(blue one). I bought it last April after watching the NP video & really liked the flight envelope & put it together in June. Where I live is high & the wind is always moving so I thought this would also be a great change-of-pace from my gliders. I set it up with my JR10X & Spektrum AR400 & used the "Elevon" program in the Tx that worked superb. Unfortunately, in July, I had a mishap falling off a ladder & breaking my right arm bone at the wrist, so I was out of commission the entire summer & fall. I have to wait till spring now to maiden. I have not seen much of any kind of elaborate reporting/posting on this great wing, even on RCG, so it must be a sleeper. Somehow, I feel this wing will be a joy to fly. I've pretty well healed up now & READY!!!!!! for this years' flying season. I'll keep checking here to see if you get started & maiden before me.

Denny

PS: I forgot to mention that, even on the video, they say to allow the EDF to "spool up" to RPM before launching as it takes a few seconds to reach thrust level.

Last edited by yorkiepap; 01-18-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:05 AM
JohnS

Sorry about your injury......hope you heal soundly and get back to RC soon. Yes, the only thing I have found on this wing are the videos on the NP site. The guys at our field are flying a sort of "bump" combat with wings. I thought this one looked good...and with the EPP foam, I thought it would be somewhat "bump proof". I just glued the wings on this week using canopy glue. Sounds crazy, but some guys are having good results with the stuff. Seemed like a real tite bond, but 24 hour curing time. Cleanup was great, and it gave me time to reposition as needed. I will be getting a Futaba 7c radio this week and will be using the elevon feature to program it also. I will keep you posted on my progress here, and let me know how you progress also.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:14 AM
yorkiepap

Hey John,
Thanks for the wishes....at 70, takes much longer to heal....lesson learned-the hard way. Anyway, here's a link that will show you a couple of fellows who really push the Neptunes' flight envelope.....you may get some ideas. Also, here's a couple pics of my radio settings. I've been formulating a good system to mount a Mobius camera for frontal view that will not interrupt air flow to the EDF....may do some canopy mods. I'll post them if they come to fruition. Gonna fly it a bit before modding. yeah, I'll post any results so we can compare notes.....

Denny

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...20Neptune&sm=3
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Neptune1.jpg.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	1959450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Neptune1b.jpg.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	1959451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Neptune1c.jpg.JPG
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	1959452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Neptune1d.jpg.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	1959453  
Old 01-20-2014, 06:02 AM
JohnS

How well I know on the healing....I am 70 also. Thanks for the programming info and the link. Hey, those guys are really pushing it with those mods. I think this thing is fast enough for me in stock form. I was wondering, how much expo are you going to program in for your first flight???
Old 01-20-2014, 07:21 AM
yorkiepap

Hey John,
I'm gonna dial in some DR/Expo into my Flight Modes(FM1/2), although will leave 100% on FM0 to determine the flight characteristics. I'll probably have one of the really good aerobatic pilots at the club do the maiden so I can watch & listen to his input as he flies it. BTW, I saw you posted about glue on another thread.....I used 30min epoxy for all the assembly on mine.

Denny

Addendum: I forgot to mention about a space-saving method you can do for a bit more battery movement so you have a bit more CG adjustments. I cut a pocket inside the cockpit at the rear side for my receiver & used my Xacto blade to make a thin slice into the wing to recess the antenna.Here's a couple pics....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	NeptuneRx1.jpg.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	467.3 KB
ID:	1959905   Click image for larger version

Name:	NeptuneRx2.jpg.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	438.4 KB
ID:	1959906   Click image for larger version

Name:	NeptuneRx3.jpg.JPG
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	1959907  

Last edited by yorkiepap; 01-20-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:24 AM
JohnS

Hey Denny,

Thanks for the pics. I am going to use a Futaba FASST receiver, and they call for the 2 antenna to be 90 degrees to each other for best reception. I called the tech people at Tower and asked if I could dig a plastic antenna tube into the foam for one and still get good reception. They said "no problem". But your idea of the slit might be even better. I was also thinking about digging into the foam to get more space to move things......glad you showed me it can be done. I am going to do the same thing with the dual rates. I want to give myself the option to go about 60% of full throws at first if needed. I will set high rate at 100% of recommended throws. And yes, I already talked with one of our good retired fliers who has agreed to maiden it when I get it complete (and we get a good weather day).

Alot of stuff came from Tower yesterday (7c transmitter, connectors, etc. and some foam-safe thin CA). I used canopy glue for everything, with a 24 hour cure time (seems solid) but I am going to "tack" a few points around the wings with the thin CA just in case.

Last edited by JohnS; 01-21-2014 at 04:33 AM.