Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Experiences with different Hobbyking battery types

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Experiences with different Hobbyking battery types

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Forced_Induction

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experiences with different Hobbyking battery types

Hello all,

I know this has probably been hashed to death but its some pretty scattered information. I want to post my experiences so far with some of the different types of hobbyking lipos ive used, and was hoping to hear some of yours.

I have used 4 types so far. in chronological order: regular turnigy packs, zippy packs, turnigy nano techs, and zippy compacts. The regular turnigy packs ive tried had rough lives. It was when i was getting used to lipos and learning how to treat them. They held up good , but never got many flights on them. I usually disposed of them due to capacity loss from age. The zippy packs were at a disadvantage. they were used in a speed plane pulling way more amps than they were capable of and didnt last long at all, but that was my fault. THe nano techs ive had good luck with, contrary to what my flying buddies have experienced. In my experience, they all had capacities slightly more than advertised, and delivered good power. Ive had 2 pairs for a 600 sized heli last 100-150 flights each now and am still using 1 of the pairs. theyre slightly puffed, but not bad at all. im still using some 1300 3s packs i got a while ago, but they dont see much use. the only reason ive disposed of nano techs so far is from damage due to crashes.

this brings me to the zippy compacts. one of the guys i fly with recommended them to me as hes had good luck. Ive bought 2 3s 1300 25c, 2 3s 2200 25c, and 2 6s 3300 35c so far. both the 3300s cycled to a capacity of 3100, both 22000s cycled to 2100, and im currently cycling the 1300s. the 3300s took a couple flights to break in and start delivering good power on the heli, and now are performing as well as the nano techs. they are exactly the same dimensions as zippy compacts 6s 4000mah packs, and i couldnt tell a difference in weight. theyre also bigger than the nano tech 3300 packs by quite a bit. the 2200s are smaller and lighter than previous 2200s, but that comes at an expense of capacity.

I have to say i am disappointed that the zippy compacts dont have their rated capacity, and will probably stick to nano techs in the future. what have been your exdperiences?
Old 10-06-2014, 11:55 AM
DaveHickey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience has been pretty much like yours. I am not impressed with the basic Turnigy (or for that matter Value Hobby's G-Force brand), Zippy Flitemax, Zippy Compact and Nanotech have served me well.
What I do now is buy the next larger Discharge rate than my motor should need, set the voltage cutoff on the ESC to "High" and let the batteries cool (if necessary) before recharging. If course if your batteries are getting very warm in use you are probably not venting correctly &/or dischar4ging at too high a rate no matter what the battery is rated for. D.H.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've tried all of those in many different planes and found the Zippy Rhinos as the best all around batts for average use.