Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Multi engine speed controls - fixed wing or copter - how do you control them?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Multi engine speed controls - fixed wing or copter - how do you control them?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:12 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool Multi engine speed controls - fixed wing or copter - how do you control them?

My electric aircraft are all fixed wing single engine. I don't fly drones and I don't fly twin engine planes.

You can certainly connect two motors to the same ESC if it will handle the amperage, but then you may have synchronization issues between them. This worked fine in the days of brushed motors but I don't think brushless motors will work well with this set-up.

You can can certainly have two motors with two ESC but how do you sync those? Do you put them on the same channel or do you put them on separate channels? How difficult are these to synch?

And what about things like quads where you are actually using motor speed to steer and maneuver. How are you control these?

Just seems like an interesting topic for a discussion
Old 09-19-2017, 11:29 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With twin engine plankers, matched motors, esc's and props work fine. With multi rotor craft, the control of the motors is provided by the flight controller. Without the flight controller, it would not be possible to fly multicopters. The "pilot" only tells it to climb, go forwards, backwards, or left and right. Amazing tech in these things
Pete
Old 09-19-2017, 02:10 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Depending on the radio you can run a twin on something like a Dx-18 with special programming for multi engines by plugging each ESC into its own channel.

If you're using one of the onboard BEC's you have to pull the red wire from the other one. You can also just program them individually and then connect them to a y harness.