Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Electric trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 09:21 AM
Stumpy1958

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric trouble

I have been into flying RC Planes for over 35 years and have always did gas/nitro motors... Well, I decided to buy a Cessna 310 and went electric... It sounded simple enough and at first it seemed it was as I was able to get everything to connect and move... HOWEVER, now after getting all my servo leads ran and tucked into all the areas I wanted them in, I got to plug the motors in and I don't have any rotation of the props...
I have a constant BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, sounding off when I plug the throttle into the receiver, but I can't get motors to do the BEEP, BEEP thing they are suppose to do to get the props to turn... It's probably something simple I am over looking but am about to pull it apart and wait to find someone that can figure this thing out, but thought I would ask here before doing that, as I am sure there are many experts out here on the electric set-up that I am not familiar with...
I have also tried a different radio and receiver and have the same results... Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated... If someone with experience and expertise wants to chat, I can share some video or we can chat via video so you can see what I am running into....
Thank you in advance and please don't laugh at the old codger here, as this is not my cup of tea apparently...
Srumpy1958
Old 11-28-2021, 10:32 AM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Stumpy1958
... I don't have any rotation of the props ...
Your controller(s) situation is not yet clear to me, so bear with me:
Each brushless motor needs its own brushless controller and each controller/motor combination needs to be calibrated.
A brushed controller o.t.o.h. can handle more than one brushed motor.

Several other possible causes and solutions:
Motor stuttering? Won't run?

...I have a constant BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, sounding off when I plug the throttle into the receiver ...
The controller(s) is trying to tell you something in beep/morse code, using the motor as a poor loudspeaker.
Look up or google (make/type manual/instructions beep code) the code, several codes.

In case you have a Futaba transmitter, Futaba's need to have their throttle channel reversed.

The controller is using the motor as a (poor) loudspeaker. In a loudspeaker a coil moves in/because of changes in magnetic field, same for motor. In a motor magnets move because of changes in magnetic field.

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 11-28-2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:34 AM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have been into flying RC Planes for over 35 years and have always did gas/nitro motors... Well, I decided to buy a Cessna 310 and went electric...
To get you quickly up to speed, and to prevent easily preventable errors.

Some well-structured reading for rainy/windy days, including e-flight_101 & 102, and some handy e-tools.
Will save you, and us a lot of questions. Notably the 'what went wrong?' kind of questions
Will also prevent you from burning up several controllers and/or motors and/or battery:
E-flight primer and tools

And pleasepleaseplease, do your RC equipment, wallet, ego, battery, controller, motor, house/garage/car a big favour ... get a watt-meter.
It will more than pay for itself, will save you at least one fried motor and one fried controller. Will also help you finding the best setup and help you troubleshooting. A must have.

Prettig weekend Ron
• Without a watt-meter you're in the dark ... until something starts to glow •
E-flight calculatorswatt-metersdiy motor tips&tricksCumulus MFC

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 11-28-2021 at 11:44 AM.