Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

O-ring reliability in prop saver set ups.

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

O-ring reliability in prop saver set ups.

Old 08-12-2022, 01:42 AM
  #1  
Joseph Frost
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Coffs Harbour NSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,252
Likes: 0
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Default O-ring reliability in prop saver set ups.

As the tittle states, I like to hear from users of this prop intallations how reliable is this form of prop attachment. I never had a chance to use it in my past experience with E-powered models, but recently got a hand on very small outrunner by Dualsky and that was the only option to fit the prop.
Even with micro light model such as bellow150 grams AUW I was bit reluctant to use it, being an absolute pain in the neck to fit the prop to such a delicate model and the safest way to do it was to remove the motor from the frame, being just another hassle, with out damaging the model while trying to fit the rubber O-ring.
So far after about dozen flights I lost one O-ring by just gently denting into the prop while fitting in the fllight battery, but replacement broke few days later on its own while only lifting the model hoping to take it for a flight. It could have been easilly the end of the 3/D model it it came off in certain flight aspect.
That promped me to get rid of it and convert it to a proper adaptor attachment just for a piece of mind, as 100 hours scratch building this model is worth lot more to me.
After pulling the motor apart hoping, to replace the main shaft for a longer one, it just wouldn't come out while being most likely cold pressed in this tiny motor so I didn't want to put any more force to it.
The shaft was luckilly hollow with ID at 2mm so it was easy to tightly tap in longer hardened steel rod fitting in perfectly, but very tight.
I didn't have on hand any adaptor to fit 2mm one so machined tiny one with the 3mm threaded hole also right throught the prop to secure it.
Certainly more reliable than the inferior prop saver fit.
Easy fix, LOL.

Hoping to remove the main shaft didn't work.

Instead hammered in 2mm one.

Tiny adaptor made up with 2 grabs screws to secure it.

Running smooth as a silk after re-maidens.

Old 08-18-2022, 01:35 AM
  #2  
Joseph Frost
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Coffs Harbour NSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,252
Likes: 0
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Glad I have upgraded the prop mounting, last night while flying it, towards the end of second flight it sounded bit different, after landing fitted another slightly heavier 2S Rino pack and as soon as it was lifting off the bitumen the whole fire wall mount plate snapped off the foam frame. Could have been a write off if it happened mid flight!
Bit of luck comes always handy, LOL.
Easy fix, this time further re-infoced for piece of mind also on another model.

Couple more grams of added weight to fix it.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.