Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Q about my new KOKAM

Old 09-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Pocho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q about my new KOKAM

I connected my new 1500 3 cell kokam to a triton charge set the thing to charge at 1.5 but only indicated .1 at charging. After six minutes the charger beeped and read "END" is my battery charged already?
Old 09-24-2004, 05:17 PM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Q about my new KOKAM

I would tend to say it was charged although most are not shipped that way. To be safe I would set the Triton up to discharge the battery and keep an eye on it.

What was the voltage at the end of the charging cycle??
Old 09-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Q about my new KOKAM

A lithium battery only charges at the full rate for roughly the first half of the charge. Once the battery hits full voltage, the charge rate has to taper off to keep the battery's voltage from going too high.

It's easy to tell a fully-charge Lithium battery. Measure the voltage. If the voltage is 4.2 times the number of cells in series, it's fully charged.

Normally, new LiPoly batteries are shipped roughly half charged. Make sure you have the settings on your Triton correct for LiPoly batteries. It sounds like perhaps you were trying to charge the 11.1 Volt (nominal) battery on the 7.4 Volt setting.