Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Battery wire size and other wiring questions

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Battery wire size and other wiring questions

Old 11-22-2005, 05:58 PM
dragos_cscc
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery wire size and other wiring questions

Will a 22AWG work for a 6.0V 1100mAH battery extension (2 or 3 ft)? Anybody know how I can find out how many amps a servo will use?

While making this extension it crossed my mind why not make all the extensions for the servos, battery etc. Just splice into the servo wire and extend it to your liking. Or just run the wire itself from the servo (pc board) through a cannonplug onto the reciever. Just an alternative to a 5 dollar extension or 12 dollar Y harness. Id just like to try it out, but I'm kinda hesitant about it. Need some words of wisdom from the gurus out there.

Thanks

D
Old 11-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery wire size and other wiring questions

22AWG is pretty typical for commercial servo extensions. You'll see 20AWG on the "heavy duty" extensions. For long runs like that, I would recommend the heavier 20AWG wire, personally. Personally, I've had problems in the past with long power runs picking up interference in large electric aircraft...

The number of Amps a servo will use depends on the application more than anything. Heaviest loads will be experienced in flight, where it's not terribly easy to measure them. Currents range from a few hundred mA to several Amps, depending on the plane and flying style, of course.

What you're proposing is actually a common practice among builders and fliers of larger airplanes. A soldered connection is much more secure and reliable than a plug-together, especially floating around somewhere in the middle of a wing.