Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Orbit???

Old 11-10-2002, 03:13 PM
rahtware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orbit???

Orbit... Any other (cheaper) chargers out there that can handle the four (NiMh, NiCad, LIx. Pb) battery types?

I have a plane that would love to be Lithium powered.

Also, my current charger doesn't cycle the packs so I have to watch the meters as I drain each battery... Getting tired of that!
Old 11-11-2002, 03:00 AM
kwilliby
My Feedback: (13)

Default Orbit???

Great Planes is coming out with the Triton. Tower Hobbies says they will have them in mid November. Towers price is $129. It will charge nicd/nimh, lead acid and 1-4 lithiums. Here is a link to the charger.
http://www.electrifly.com/accys/gpmm3150.html
Old 11-11-2002, 02:07 PM
rahtware

Default Orbit???

Kent

Thanks for the link. I had checked that site out when I first heard about "the new" charger, but at that time they had very little information posted. From what I can see, Asia is now going after the Germans. I wonder if it is as accurate and reliable as the Orbit? I hope so, the savings equals another plane! Only trouble is, I'm not sure if I want to be the first kid on the block to buy one...

Thanks again, I guess I will hold off on the Orbit for now and wait and see.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:36 PM
kwilliby

Default Orbit???

Larry: I know what you mean about being the first to buy. I have had a couple of old timer's tell me Great Planes hasn't been too great in the electrical business. I have an Orbit on back order that should arrive in a couple weeks. I am tempted to buy the Triton but just don't know about the quality etc. The Orbit is very well proven and seems to be at the top of the rankings. I now I can spend $180 for the Orbit and not have to worry. On the other hand if I spend $130 for the Triton and have to buy again I haven't saved anything. If I didn't need a charger right away I guess I would wait and see how the Triton pans out. Unfortunately I need one now. One other thing if it matters is that the Orbit will charge 1-9 lithiums where the TRiton only 1-4.
Kent.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:25 AM
rahtware

Default Orbit???

Thanks Kent

I think you are right. The thing that drew me to the Orbit in the first place was it's reliability. I'm not in a real hurry, but my luck is that if I wait a couple of weeks, it will go up another $20!
Old 11-12-2002, 04:36 AM
kwilliby

Default Orbit???

Larry: If you want an Oribit check with Dave at radicalrc.com. He said my Oribit v6.0 with pc interface will arrive in about two weeks. He has some coming in sometime this week without the pc interface. I don't know if they are all sold or not. His price is $180 + $2 shipping for the non pc interface ones. Best price I found and Dave is a nice guy to do business with.
Kent.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:40 AM
talybont

Default Orbit???

Orbit is a good choice. I am using the microlader pro for three years now. But now it is in Langerwehe at Orbit. Something I guess it was a resistor broke down. OK, it is always in use. I have got only this charger for all types of batteries, from one cell up to 32 cells. Now I am using my father's Ultra Duo Plus II 'till it will be back.

CU,
Armin
Old 11-12-2002, 09:07 AM
rahtware

Default Orbit???

Kent... been there, done that. That's the guy that I have been talking to about the Orbit. do you know how the interface works? I was also looking at that one, but didn't know if it was worth the extra cash.

CU I can't believe that you had trouble with your Orbit. That resistor must have come from somewhere other than Germany. LOL
Old 11-12-2002, 02:42 PM
talybont

Default Orbit???

Hi Larry,

I don't how many hours the orbit has been charging. Must be many hundreds. So it can be that sometimes a little resistor from anywhere breaks.

CU,
Armin
Old 11-12-2002, 03:04 PM
kwilliby

Default Orbit???

Larry: Don't know much about the pc interface. I ordered it because I'm kinda computer nut too. Thought I might as well get it since it was available.

Talybont: Sorry to hear about your Orbit problem. Hope I don't have any problems with mine. Probably isn't too cheap sending it to Germany from the U.S. for repairs. Probably on thing nice about the GP Triton...I could get it repaired in the U.S.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:09 AM
talybont

Default Orbit???

Hi Kent,

it should be allways repairable in the US. A resistor is no reason to ship it back to Germany. My problem was that I had not got this special resistor. So I sent it back to Orbit. That's all.

MfG,
Armin
Old 11-13-2002, 02:31 PM
kwilliby

Default Oribt

Talybont: Glad to hear that. Do they have a specific company that handles repairs in the U.S.? Thanks for the info! Can't wait to get mine!
Old 11-14-2002, 07:25 AM
talybont

Default Orbit???

Sorry Kent,

I really don't know who does it but there should be someone who is able to replace a resistor or an IC. For myself I got it back yesterday. Although it was no warranty either I had to pay nothing. That's service. It was only a nameless little resistor. If you know someone who is trained in electronics you will have no problems if something happens. Maybe there will be program errors which are software based. OK, this will be Orbit's part.

CU,
Armin
Old 11-14-2002, 02:56 PM
kwilliby

Default Orbit???

Talybont: Hopefully I won't have to worry about it. Glad you got yours back. Sounds like they really treat customers right! Wish I had mine!
Kent.