Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

"Getting More" from Kyosho Ferias?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

"Getting More" from Kyosho Ferias?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 09:07 PM
MJCfromCT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Getting More" from Kyosho Ferias?

Hi all,

I have a Kyosho Ferias electric plane, and I am wondering what I can do to get a little more "oomph" out of it. With the stock motor it comes with, I feel that it is a tad underpowered. I am looking into mounting a CVS camcorder to this plane as well, and I suspect that before I'd even consider this, I'll need to increase the power of this model. From the searching I've done on these forums, it isn't as simple as dropping a "bigger" electric motor in my model.

Some of the questions I have:

1. If I keep the stock motor and battery, what performance increases/decreases will happen if I install a larger propeller? (Currently has a 9x6, I have some 11x7s)

2. If I keep the stock motor, will an upgraded battery pack increase the power of the model? (perhaps a Lithium-Polymer battery?)

3. If all else fails, will I need an upgraded battery, motor, and ESC in order to increase the overall power of the model?

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Doug Sipprell
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: "Getting More" from Kyosho Ferias?

Ref: Kyosho Ferias

1.) I have flying a Ferias for some time now. It is one of the most reliable planes I have in the fleet with good performance. However, it was anything but this in stock form. There were some major faults in the plane, most especially in the power train. I could barely get 5 minutes flight time, using 8 cell HD NiCad packs. The plane was given the nickname "The Brick". Definitely not an enjoyable fly. However, experience with other planes and reverse engineering helped the Ferias immensly. The plane is now called "Old Faithful".

2.) The plane CAN serve as a good aerial photography platform. You will need the modifications described below first before considering hauling a camera around with this plane. A very good thread on this in on RCGroups. Go there and search thru the complete thread for good info:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274527

3.) Forget about going to an 11" prop on the stock power system. You will pull too much amperage and probably burn up the motor, or get very short flights. My recommendation: scrap the entire motor/ESC/gearbox arrangement and go brushless. Here are the spec's for my Ferias:

- MPJet 25/35-20 Brushless Motor (from Hobby Lobby)
- 9x7.5 Slo Fly APC prop
- 3mm prop adapter, #286, Graupner
- CC Thunderbird 18A Brushless Motor ESC
- Thunder Power 3S1P 2100 ProLite LiPo

Also, check to see that the control horn on the elevator does not impinge on the fuselage. Mine did, so I reversed the horn and was able to get greater movement of the elevator.

The MPJet 25/35-20 Brushless motor comes with it's own gearbox, 4.1 : 1. This allows good torque to swing an agressive 9" prop, also a 10" prop. The stock gearing that came with the Ferias was 1.7 : 1, way to tall for the stock Ferias and the batteries normally used. Also, the 380 motor was not all that powerful. A standard 6V Speed 400 would have been a better choice. I used a Speed 400, geared 3.33 : 1 via an MPJet planetary gear box with very good results. However, the MPJet 25/35-20 is a great brushless upgrade, using the same motor clamps and motor mount arrangement as with the stock power train. I have pictures I would be glad to post or email you.

4.) Flight times with the brushless motor, and with the 3S1P 2100 LiPoly packs can easily reach 15 minutes, more with good throttle management. I tend to fly the Ferias quickly, with lots of loops and rolls. The plane will pull to very high altitudes if so desired, with the setup I am using. I do NOT have any camera on board. Again, check the link provided for good info on this.

5.) The plane is apparently out of production. Tower Hobbies was the distributor, I purchased the plane from them. Their latest catalogs no longer show this model. I wish now I had purchased a 2nd Ferias. It is a great 3 channel operation plane, but NOT in stock form. The AUW with the modifications I have made is 21.6 Oz, to include the 2100 pack. Hope this info is of help.

RD
Old 03-06-2006, 12:20 AM
MJCfromCT

Default RE: "Getting More" from Kyosho Ferias?

Fantastic info, and thank you for including the specs of your Ferias. I'll have plenty to research this week.

When building my Ferias, I too noticed the elevator control horn interfering with the body of the airplane. I notched out the control horn and that seems to have bypassed the problem.

I would be very interested in seeing your images as well.

Thank you for all the useful info!