Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Help needed for 280 design

Old 12-14-2002, 10:47 AM
rahtware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed for 280 design

While reading the posts on the "The art of building" thread I got inspired. I have a brand new GWS 280 waiting in a box and need to build a plane for it.

It is direct drive so I was thinking it needs something that can move through the air fast enough to let the prop unload. Thin wing, low or mid wing racer of the '30s? What wing span / area / loading? How about RTF weight?

Any ideas on this will be appreciated. Yes, even from you new flyers. You might know of a plane / design, that no one else has heard of, that would be perfect for this project.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:45 PM
rahtware

Here is what I have to work with...

Motor, prop, spinner = 44g

RX, Cirrus MRX-4 = 11g

Servos (total for 2) CS-10 = 16g

ESC ElectriFly C-10 = 6g

Battery = ? I'm thinking Kocam 880s

Looks like 5 - 5 1/2 oz total for the gear.

How about 7 oz RTF?

What about a wing loading of 6 to 7 oz per sq ft?
Old 12-14-2002, 11:24 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

How about a Zipper 010, perfect for the 280 direct drive on 7-8 350 nicads, 720 nimh, or 370 nimh cells. Its all built up, can be ready to cover in 2 hours.

You can choose from the conventional tail or the V-tail (parts for both are in the kit) It comes with a clear bubble canopy, and landing gear.

I actually like flying it with no landing gear and the V-tail the best since it looks like a little pylon racer.

Even though its all built up, its built like a tank, though its light. I had one customer build one that was 7.1 oz.

I haven't tested Kokams yet, but as long as the current is low, they should work with the 280, and yes, they will fit in the fuselage (the 880's and the 1020's)

Here's a thread on one customer who built and flew his http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Zipper

Kits are only $40 and available from www.oldschoolrc.com

--Paul Susbauer
Old School R/C
Old 12-15-2002, 08:03 AM
rahtware

Paul

Thanks for the post, but I am thinking more "sticks" and less "Sheet" for my plane.

My Desert Duster came in right at 7 oz without any exotics. I might have to add carbon fiber to the spars of this one.

Here is the direction that I would like to go.

Clear skies
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	41095_15871.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	25562  
Old 12-15-2002, 08:26 AM
a088008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oooh!

I like both planes, but the one you are thinking about building looks very interesting. Is it a plan for a rubber powered plane that you are going to be modifying? I like the oldies lines. VERY stylish!

Can't wait to see building underway and the final product.
Keep us posted with some building pictures.

I'm also finalizing a design (my own, again :idea: ) and will start building in the next day or two. I'll keep you posted. It's for a 380 motor (direct drive) in a pusher canard configuration (but I'm keeping a secrect about the canard ). Should be quite unique. It's also ment to be aerobatic so it should be a lot of fun to throw around, during lunch-time at a nearby park(inglot).

Actually, I'm torn between aerobatic and glider. Nah, I've already got a design for a glider waiting to be built (my own design, again :idea: ) , so aeorbatic it is!

-Q.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:47 PM
rahtware

Is it a plan for a rubber powered plane that you are going to be modifying?

Yes, it is an old Walt Mooney "Peanut scale" plan of a Miles M-5. I haven't decided that this is the one I want to do, but it is the direction I want to go. I have to admit that the landing gear gives me hesitation.

Can't wait to see building underway and the final product.
Keep us posted with some building pictures.

Will do. I am hoping to get feed back and suggestions as the project progresses. I probably won't actually start on it until after Christmas. We have the family coming up for the holiday, and the "honey-do" list is taking up all of my free time.

I'm also finalizing a design (my own, again ) and will start building in the next day or two. I'll keep you posted. It's for a 380 motor (direct drive) in a pusher canard configuration (but I'm keeping a secrect about the canard ). Should be quite unique. It's also ment to be aerobatic so it should be a lot of fun to throw around, during lunch-time at a nearby park(inglot).

Actually, I'm torn between aerobatic and glider. Nah, I've already got a design for a glider waiting to be built (my own design, again ) , so aeorbatic it is!

sounds exciting. My only education in design comes from articles I have read, and kits I have built. It would be nice to have an engineering background, but I don't, so most of the design / redesign I do is by "what looks good".

Good luck and clear skies.

Here is another candidate, the "Ole Tiger".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	41190_15871.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	25563  
Old 12-18-2002, 06:10 AM
a088008

Default The first one

I really like the first one. Such classic lines. Should look great with the wheel pants. Are you goint to build it? If so, put the wheel pants on!

-Q.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:18 AM
rahtware

Q

I also like the Miles M-5. The only thing that is holding me back are those outrageous "pants"!

If I build it, I might have to make them removable so they don't tear things up on a hard landing.

If you know of anything else along these lines, let me know and I will see if I can dig up a set of plans.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:26 AM
a088008

Default A bit of hard stuff

I would use a little 1/16" birch plywood on the sides (in the middle) to add strength to the pants and use 1/16" balsa sheet to make the pant sides. Also, use something like a 1/4" (all depending on the thickness of the pant) balsa stick for the LE and TE of the pants. Then just sand them to a smooth contour.

This should stand up to most hard landings.

-Q.