Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Hobbico Superstar EP

Old 12-18-2002, 03:44 AM
Jr Jetter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico Superstar EP

Hey everyone,
I would like to know what everyone thinks of the superstar EP?
Good trainer for beginners?
Corey Reese
Old 12-18-2002, 03:34 PM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

I saw one of these fly at a fly-in recently, a good flyer. But I really have to make this suggestion, once you get going, put a brushless motor in it and some ailerons. This was one of the most incredibly aerobaitc planes I have ever seen in regards to its original intent as a trainer. Unbelievable performer on brushless power.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:58 PM
Richie

Default Great trainer!

I suggested it to one of my friends and it has worked out great so far. I have been teaching him to to fly on it and he is progressing well. It will loop, rudder roll, and do basic aerobatics. Make sure that you have someone to train you and you will have a great experience.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:51 PM
Don 07tncav

I agree, but it's not a small park flyer. You need some room for this plane especially landing. Even with the cheezy electronics, it's a nice plane.
Don
Old 12-18-2002, 10:08 PM
amelia-air
My Feedback: (82)

mine lasted 6 seconds
Old 12-19-2002, 05:36 AM
Jr Jetter

Hey guys,
I got mine a few weeks ago and so far it flies pretty cool. I hope i can have it a long time for something to do while my Phillip Avonds F-15 is fueling up! I will take into consideration putting a brushless motor though.
Thanks
Corey Reese
Old 12-19-2002, 02:29 PM
Don 07tncav

Originally posted by amelia-air
mine lasted 6 seconds
What happened?
Old 12-19-2002, 03:31 PM
amelia-air

not enough power to allow the air craft to attain flight---hand launched it right into the ground--"CRUNCH"
Old 12-19-2002, 06:02 PM
Don 07tncav

Did you cycle the pack three times before flying and make sure the prop was on right? I've nosed in several planes because the prop was backwards. This thing by no means has the power of an IC plane but it's got plenty of get up and go.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:42 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

amelia-air,

If you find out that everything was as it should be, send an email to [email protected]. They'll probably want to see the wreckage, but if you go to all the trouble of sending them the wreckage, you stand a good chance of getting a replacement plane out of them.

Assuming the prop was on correctly, and the battery was fully charged, there is a good chance you got a dud motor. These motors are made by the hundreds of thousands for commercial and industrial applications. Other than checking to see if the motor runs, there isn't a whole lot of quality control. I suspect that many of these, "not enough power to fly" complaints on planes with otherwise good reputations are caused by bad motors.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:00 PM
amelia-air

cycled the batt.,ran the motor (sans prop) in a bucket of water for 30 minutes on 500 mah batt--installed a apc prop correctly--this piece of c*** is just like my last boy friend --worthless--i was goin to put a geared astro 020 on it,but thought i would see if it would fly as is---motor took out the top of the f1--batt took out the bottom--guess i will stick to my dymond" take it easy ,s"wanna buy a wing ? --
Old 12-19-2002, 07:29 PM
amelia-air

i guess i should really know better--went through this with a spectra,an electra,aspire ep,electric whisper,and my biggest ,most expensive was a x440--(pushrods came apart) had three new timers--and i am now on my 6th take it easy from dymond...tree eat the last one,so its not like i am not trying--spend about a hour each day on the G2 sim..trouble with the woodies is when you crash it,s bye-bye---still have the pieces --may put it back together some day--toodles
Old 01-08-2003, 05:32 PM
niceorange

I always hand launched my EP because it saved so much power than dragging it off the ground. I just full throttled it and threw into the wind. Almost always climbed right away. I miss that plane. (Got too cocky and dive bombed the field, only misjudged the treeline i was flying over! I also found the SEP to fly just as well if not better on a 6 cell... 2100-2400 range worked much better than the stock 7 cell.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:06 PM
320i

amelia,
I recommend you get a buddy box system and have someone experienced take it up first and get it all trimmed out. Sim time is not going to cut it.

I am currently teaching a friend how to fly his Superstar EP and on the maiden voyage, he hand launched it for me and the first thing it did was dip down before I could trim it out and get it air born. Fortunately, I had enough power and speed to pull it up and not crash.

Good luck on you next plane.
CV
Old 01-08-2003, 11:17 PM
amelia-air

thanks 320i,---but i have seen the light,and have moved on to glow planes--maybe some day i will tackle electric,s again...as robert duval said "i love the smell of nitro in the morning" or was that coffee ? hummmm--thanks for the advice --amelia--
Old 01-13-2003, 01:04 AM
caleb
My Feedback: (38)

What about putting a great planes gearbox and a bigger prop? Would that give it more power for climbing and takeoff from the ground?

I am about to order one this week.

Caleb
Old 01-13-2003, 02:39 AM
amelia-air

bigger prop means less ground clearence for said prop--you could all ways put a folding prop on it ,and leave the landing gear off--hand launch it--plane will fly the way it is built,just won,t rog off of grass--i would not classify this as a trainer...the small wing,heavy weight requires that a high rate of speed be maintained for flight--less reaction time--buy a wingo
Old 04-21-2003, 11:14 PM
luhran

I have an EP and have made some decent modifications to it. I haven't gone brushless yet, but did add a magnetic mahem speed 600 w/ a 2.5:1 gear box spinning an 11 X 7 APC Slo Flyer Prop. About 10 min flight times (at best), but man will it climb. Mine is a taildragger, and I am in the process of rigging up a steering linkage to the wheel I installed. I also had to install 3" main wheels so the prop clears the ground. I am also wokring on adding ailerons. Has anyone out there converted the EP wing to ailerons yet? I also need to seriously upgrade the landing gear. Anything but a perfect landing and they bend. This has been a good plane for me.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:10 AM
kingcobraRCU

Default hey!

Originally posted by Don 07tncav
I agree, but it's not a small park flyer. You need some room for this plane especially landing. Even with the cheezy electronics, it's a nice plane.
Don
what cheesy electronics? it has actual servos and an electronic speed control...more than some (aerobird) have...you can use those in another plane if you crash it.and its only like 30 bucks more. also it's an all wood plane. I thinks it's a great deal on a great trainer plane. If you are just starting out and not using a teacher to train you you might want to consider a plane like the aerobird. its a lot easier to repair if you do crash it( and you will) and it has the same style controller so a step to the superstar EP after learning the aerobird would be a snap. just my input.