Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Replacement motor for Firebird Freedom

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Replacement motor for Firebird Freedom

Old 06-29-2006, 08:33 PM
tomjoruss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement motor for Firebird Freedom

My motor for my Firebird Freedom is getting weak after about 8 flights the numbers on the motor are 545B9V6 and L3A24A11 (C). Is there anywhere I can find this motor? I looked at the Speed 480 and the Multiplex Permax 480 which one is better and is there any other motors that might work better. Thanks for any help you could give this beginner.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Replacement motor for Firebird Freedom

Tom, the motor in the firebird freedom is a standard "6V Speed 400" or "380" motor. It's a generic motor that's used in many airplanes, dustbusters, and even hair dryers

The 480 motor will NOT be any improvement. It's a "cooler" motor than the 400, and with the same prop and battery, will actually put out LESS power than the stock motor, even though it's a "bigger" motor. Bigger does not always mean more powerful.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:22 AM
tomjoruss

[&:]Matt,
Thanks for replying to my question, I am a little confused now. The Hobbyzone Firebird Freedom says that It comes stock with a 480 motor, is this information incorrect? The numbers on the motor 545B9V6 would suggest that the voltage rating for the motor (9V6) would suggest 9.6v. I have no idea what the 545B stands for. Being kind of new at the RC airplanes I am not looking to soup up this plane in any way. The original motor came from Fully Motor Co. LTD but I can't find the exact model and they have not answered my request for specs. Thanks again for your reply.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:24 AM
carguy1994ca

HI Tom!

You could go see the hoobyzone.com site or horizonhobby.com site for replacement part for the freedom. I just bought the airplane and didnt see the motor alone as spare part but i also own a f-27 stryker from park zone ( parent company 0 and its a 480 and should do the trick ( cheap too ! ).

Hope this can help. By the way i saw some rather bad posting about the flying caracteristics of thisd plane. How do you like yours?
Old 07-19-2006, 09:11 PM
tomjoruss

[8D] Thanks Carguy,
A couple of weeks ago I did exactly what you said, and 14 dollars later I was back up in the air. I am kind of a beginner my first plane was an Airhog aeroace once I mastered that monster I figured I was ready for a beginner plane and chose the the firebird freedom. All of the close calls and masterful flights of the aeroace could not prepare me for this Plane, Although 6 wings 2 tails and 1 fuselage later I am crashing it at a greatly reduced rate. This plane will take a real beating and I refuse to give up on it. I got in 5 short flights tonight before I crashed it terribly hard into the bricks that surround my wifes flower bed. and the battery came loose and the leads pulled out of the plug for the battery and it shorted out before I could get to it and now my battery is toast, fortunately It came with a second battery, after repairing the wing that broke I am ready to try again tomorrow. It really seems like it likes to drop on the left wing. It has had this problem since the first day. I wonder how many times I can crash this thing before the electronics give out on it. Well that is my experience with it. If someone wants to tell me a better beginner plane in case I destroy this thing beyond repair Please let me know. Thanks again Carguy for the info.

Tomjoruss
Old 07-19-2006, 11:04 PM
groundcheck

I haven't seen anything that can survive like the Parkzone/Hobbyzone planes, or be repaired so easy. I have maybe 20 crashes on my J-3 cub, and the electronics are in great shape, minus the motor. 50 flights, and 20 crashes and the motor finaly died. it would pull the plane still, but weakly. $9.95 got me a new motor, wires and gear ready for a 5 minute job of installing, and it's a new plane again. I now understand brushed motors are best considered disposable.

The f-27b Stryker's Motor is a 480 set up to be a pusher motor (No gear installed) and runs $10 at my LHS. being that I just diascovered my Cub has an Xport reciever, even though it's not suppose to be an X port plane leads me to believe that Parkzone/Hobbyzone use standardized parts through their whole product line. (My cub's radio has no Xport button, but my P51's radio works with it) So its a safe bet that a 480 from PZ/HZ is a 480 no matter what plane its in.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Mr.Pibb

I just got a replacement body (with motor and electronics) for my FF because the motor went out on my previous one. Not that many flights, and it was gettng weak for a while.

Well...after just a few flights (maybe 8?) I'm starting to notice that it's getting weak again. This doesn't go over with the wife who is already tired of me spending money on replacement parts

Now, I am using 9.6v battery packs now, but I had just started when the first one totally went out. It had been getting weak for a while. I wonder if having multiple batteries and going full throttle with a few batteries right in a row causes some of the problems? Also, somewhere I saw that someone actually was submerging their Stryker motor in distilled water (not up to the wires) and running it at low power to "clean" the guts of the motor to make it not burn out so quickly. Is this something that should be done? The also were putting a very tiny amount of sewing machine oil on the shaft where it goes into the housing to decrease friction.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Notpil22

I just got a FF last week.

It is a not-so-good airplane to learn on (got to fly too fast to have good control).

My motor is also getting shot (too many crashes?), I can tell that the batteries don't last as long, and the plane doesn't have the power for a loop anymore.

So what's the verdict with the motor?

The stock one is a 480 (btw--I googled the part number 545b9v6, and found this site/thread!).

Should I just walk into the hobby store and look for an exact replacement tomorrow?

Thanks
Kelly

ps.....where can I find some topics about the Firebird Freedom? One post stated that he read some not so flattering words about the plane).
Old 07-28-2006, 05:51 AM
Mr.Pibb

Try here for some mixed comments about the plane:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_32...tm.htm#3283662

here for some battery discussion:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_42...tm.htm#4251015

The charger that comes with this plane is crap. It false peaks the batteries more than not. I purchased 9.6V battery packs and a charger from all-battery.com with mixed results. The batteries and charger were fine, but the batteries were wired with the polarity backwards on the connector and the "recommeded" charger didn't have the right kind of connector to hook to the batteries. Once I straightened those two items out the charger does a much better job at charging even the stock battery. Even with a better charger you have to try to charge the batteries right before you use them if possible. These batteries self-drain pretty quickly.

Edit on my previous post about the motor going bad on my second fuselage, I think my batteries had just sat too long after the charge. I charged a battery and hooked my plane up to it real quick and it seemed to be running normal speed again. I haven't had a chance to fly again since my comments above, though. Darned wife and kids.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:45 PM
patnchris

I don't understand all these motor problems.....I must have crashed my FF 40 times, while learning to fly it. The plane is held together with hot glue, tape, balsa wood, and CA......with some homade styrofoam patches. I crashed it so hard that I needed a screw drive to remove the battery. I think I have broken every part on this plane at least once, in not multiple times. The only original parts are the motor and the receiver......Now that I've learned to fly it, I'm having a ball. It flys like a rocket on the stock 8.4 1000mah battery. I fly it every day, and fly at least 3 packs per day, sometimes more.....The stock motor still screams.....I assume that you guys using the 8 cell 9.6 volt batteries know that they cannot be charged with the peak charger that comes with the plane....It is only good for up to the 7 cell....Also, make sure that the LHS that is selling you replacement parts is selling you props for a Freedom.....Mine tried to pawn off some Commander props on me, because he was out of Freedom props......They are not the same....and will cause the motor to overspeed.....possible shortening it's life...

Side note.....You guys that are having flying problems need to check the tail, and the motor tower.....a hard nose in crash not only distorts the nose, but also the mounting surface of the motor.....no big deal, though....Remove the prop. Heat the caved in area, GENTLY, with a heat gun or high powered hair drier. Grab the motor shaft with a pliers and pull the motor rearward, untill the sides go back to their original shape.
The tail is critical. If you over tighten the screws, the "V" angle is too great. But you cannot undo this, as the foam is crushed. I rectified this by glueing 1.5" by 1.5" 1/16 balsa on the topside, where the piece locks the tail. Make sure the balsa goes far enough in so that it is under the top piece, as much as possible. Now when you install the tail screws, you can tighten them as much as you want, and the "V" shape stays exactly the angle determined by the top piece. You will probably be surprised at how shallow the actual "V" is.
One more thing.....Eyeball down the centerline of the fuselage and look at the orientation of the tail...It shoud be equal on both sides....If it is not, either the rear mount has come loose, or the boom has come loose at the body....Originally I fixed this with a mini hose clamp, but it looked tacky.....I tried some CA in the seam and it grips well. just make sure it is straight before you apply the CA......Since it has come loose a few more times, after a really hard crashes, but I just put it back in place and add a little more CA.......Be careful at the tail section, with the CA.....If you get it inside , it will glue the antenna, to the inside of the boom....Ask me how I know...LOL.......
Anyhow....I am now flying my Freedom, without incident, every day......Hope this helps some of you out.....Pat
Old 08-21-2006, 05:22 PM
tomjoruss

Hello all,
Since I started this thread I have learned a little more about some of the things you all are talking about. As far as batteries, If you are using the plug in dc charger that came with the plane it is useless. I had read some threads that when you throw the plane for take off it dips the left wing and if not thrown hard enough will crash. I believe that this is from not having a charger that will charge to peak. I was at the local hobby shop and found a used Superbrain 959 charger (used) for 20 dollars and man what a difference!!! It charges the battery using the default setting in about 10 minutes from almost totally dead. And even though you are charging at a faster rate I still get between 10 and 15 minutes per flight. And when you throw the plane it pretty much jumps out of your hand, there is no dipping of the wing. I even had to adjust the elevator because it was climbing too fast. Depending on how fast I run the motor. Also My last 6 flights have been without a crash. So things are getting better a little wind still makes me nervous sometimes but In little or no wind I seem to be doing ok. Thanks for all of your input. If you have any more questions, now that I'm an expert
or any comments feel free to post and I will check them out

Thanks All,
Tomjoruss
Old 11-08-2006, 01:20 PM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

Tom, the motor in the firebird freedom is a standard "6V Speed 400" or "380" motor. It's a generic motor that's used in many airplanes, dustbusters, and even hair dryers

The 480 motor will NOT be any improvement. It's a "cooler" motor than the 400, and with the same prop and battery, will actually put out LESS power than the stock motor, even though it's a "bigger" motor. Bigger does not always mean more powerful.

my motor for my P 51 Parkzone has different top numbers and same bottom numbers, what does this mean I want to find out what 480 I have, there are about 4 versions of them. Mine are top number 430B9V6 bottom number L3A24A11
and His are 545B9V6 and bottom L3A24A11
Old 11-08-2006, 01:42 PM
critterhunter

The Stryker, Freedom, P51 Mustang...all use a 480 motor. The one in the mustang is running a geared set up. Any of the 480s should be the same and can be used in any of these planes. There are aftermarket 480s that can give you more power/speed. However, an easy way to hop up the stock motor is to water break it in and set it's timing. The water break is only works on a new motor that hasn't been run yet. Stick the motor in a glass of water and run it off a D cell battery until the battery dies. This will get the brushes in the motor to seat properly and remove the carbon that results as they break in (you'll see some black gunk floating around in the water after a while). Next, blow all the water out of the motor with a compressor or at least use a hair dryer on it until it's dry inside. Now take some bearing oil (sewing machine oil works well) and lube the shaft on both sides of the motor where the brass bushings are. If you want to further improve the performance of the motor BEFORE doing the water break in you can set it's timing. These motors come set at neutral timing so they'll work in a pusher or front prop plane. You bend back the little "crimps" on the back of the motor so you can rotate the plate to set the timing. Notice a plastic thing on the side of the motor where two crimps seat down into slots on it. For a pusher such as the Stryker or Freedom you'll rotate the plate clockwise (I think) until the bottom one of the two tabs over the plastic now sits in the slot on the plastic that the top one did. For a front prop plane like the P51 you'll rotate the plate the other direction until the bottom plastic slot rests in the top crimp. Bend all crimps back down to hold the plate and you're all set. Might do a search of this site for setting motor timing because I'm not sure if I have the details right. I did this on a stock Stryker and the speed and power improved a good bit.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:30 PM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks critter, If you go into any motor calc and just change the 480 motors from the 4 that they supply in the program and you will see a great difference in performance amps draw and thrust with everything else the same,Try it , thats why I wanted to know exactly what motor I have. try this one, http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23530.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	556677