Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Feasibility

Old 08-03-2006, 06:28 AM
Helijack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feasibility

I am considering building a twin, seaplane, electric. The "kit" versions go 23 pounds for the scale version I would want to do.

It most of the time - almost all the time will be flown off a runway as our field has no water, so working retracts help run that weight up.

Scale is 3 blade props. Wing span would be 104"

Is it feasible to build this electric?

How big of motors? (plans call for .60 2 strokes or 90 4 strokes)
One speed controller or two?
Do they sync if you use 2 controllers?
How big of Lipos? Looking for 8-10 min flights.
Thanks
Jack

Old 08-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Hatty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Feasibility

I don't know specifics, but it is going to require a lot of power. I would almost say it is impractical to do it. It will cost a lot to get the runtime you want, the motor and single speed controller (you only need one. you cannot combine two with one motor) will expensive. Maybe it's just my cheap attitude, but I wouldn't even try.

But, if you are determined, the first thing I would do is find an average thrust rating for the gas engine and try to find an electric motor that provides a similar amount of thrust. Also, you will have pretty long landing gear since the prop will have to be very large. As for the batteries, you will probably want to put a couple packs in parallel since the high capacity packs tend to be very expensive.

As for trying to get the weight up, if you have extra money to spend (or already have one) you could put a camera on your plane. I wish I had weight to spare on my plane. I've been wanting a camera for a while. But, good luck and let me know if you nedd any more help. I'll try the best I can.