Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Li-po battery size for .40 sized 3d planes.

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Li-po battery size for .40 sized 3d planes.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:12 AM
rcmaster-RCU
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Li-po battery size for .40 sized 3d planes.

As I get into more li-po brushless planes, I am out growing my charger. I really don't plan to go any bigger than a .40 sized plane in the electric realm, so my question becomes what is a typical li-po battery size for a .40 sized plane? I realize this question depends on the set-up, but in terms of a general aerobatic 3d airplane with an outrunner motor, what is the typical needed amp rating/capacity on a li-po for a plane like this? I hope this will then dictate what charger to buy. I really like that $70 Fma direct charger that balances as well as charges, but it is only good for 3 amps and I am thinking that an over powered .40 sized aerobatic plane will need a higher capacity battery than 3000mah. Let me know what you think. Any charger recommendations are appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Alex.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:53 AM
DHC8GURU

Default RE: Li-po battery size for .40 sized 3d planes.

THERE ARE ALOT OF PACK CONFIGURATIONS. I WOULD SAY A 11.1V 4000-6000MAH (3S1P-LIPO)PACK WOULD BE A REASONABLE LIPO FOR THE MOTOR BEING RUN IN A .40 SIZE AIRPLANE. BUY A CHARGER CAPABLE OF CHARGING ATLEAST 4 CELLS. AS LIPO CONFIGURATIONS CONTINUE TO GROW THE MORE FLEXABLE THE CHARGER THE BETTER.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Chocks_Away

When you start to get into the 40 sized territory with electric planes they also tend to get into the expensive battery prices also.
A .40 sized motor usually require 4 to 6 cell packs as a minimum, and of that size you'll be looking at a pack with 5000 to 8000 mah as well.

A 3 cell pack will definately not be upto the job with motors of that size, 4 cell packs are a bare minimum.
For a 3D .40 size then you'll probably easily be looking at 5 cells upwards.

If your serious about going into electrics of the .40 size and maybe above, then I would buy a charger that can handle as many cells as you can afford
The more the merrier really.
But I would probably get one that can handle at least 6 cells.

But on the other hand, you are not forced to buy the larger 6 cell packs [sm=confused.gif] ................

[sm=idea.gif] You could do it a cheaper way by keeping your existing charger, and say buy two seperate 3 cell packs to run a 6 cell plane by wiring them together in series with the gold connectors when they are fitted inside your plane.
This also has the advantage of you being able to use the 3 cell packs seperatley in other planes that only need 3 cells, and also if one battery pack gets damaged by itslef or by mis-use, then you also haven't wasted a very expensive single pack.

Hope this helps you.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:35 AM
jaskel

ORIGINAL: DHC8GURU

THERE ARE ALOT OF PACK CONFIGURATIONS. I WOULD SAY A 11.1V 4000-6000MAH (3S1P-LIPO)PACK WOULD BE A REASONABLE LIPO FOR THE MOTOR BEING RUN IN A .40 SIZE AIRPLANE. BUY A CHARGER CAPABLE OF CHARGING ATLEAST 4 CELLS. AS LIPO CONFIGURATIONS CONTINUE TO GROW THE MORE FLEXABLE THE CHARGER THE BETTER.

No need to shout champ...for the sake of our eyes...caps off
Old 08-16-2006, 02:44 AM
jooNorway

I sure agree: 3S is to small...
4S-setups will work on leightweight .40-size 3D-machines if you use the smallest brushless possible running it at its maximum, but on 5S you have the right juice for this size. Typically 3200-3700 20-30C batteries are good because they weight less and still can deliver amps. But I prefer 5S5000 on this size...