Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

HobbyZone Super Cub - Tell me About It

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

HobbyZone Super Cub - Tell me About It

Old 11-06-2006, 08:16 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default HobbyZone Super Cub - Tell me About It

I have been reading great things about this plane. Tell me your experience. Should I be recommending this plane to new flyers?

Anyone have links to video?
Old 11-06-2006, 07:51 PM
htjoel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HobbyZone Super Cub - Tell me About It

Hello Ed,

I have almost the complete line of ParkZone RTF planes (J3, Super Decathlon, Mustang, Focke-Wulf 190) and decided to give this first semi-scale offering from HobbyZone a try. I taught myself how to fly with the J3 and would have greatly appreciated the bigger size, more powerful motor, and better stability of the Super Cub.

It literally flies out of your hand and can handle winds easily to 10 mph. I have also upgraded to the bigger (8-cell) NiMh pack and it really just shines with the extra power. I haven't found the ACT to be truly necessary (maybe less experienced pilots will), and fly with it off most of the time.

It is still in stock form, and the addition of the X-Port expander guarantees that you won't be bored. I took this plane to my local club field and the Parachute Jumper was a huge hit not only with the kids but even the hard-core IMAC and 3D flyers. I also have the night flight module and that also works very well.

As a first plane, I would have no hesitation recommending it as it will take tons of abuse, and once you get it in the air it will literally fly itself. ROG is absolutely no problem with this plane, and ground handling is no problem with the steerable tailwheel. If I were teaching someone else to fly, however, I would still go with a hand-launch to get it in the air.

Aerobatics, albeit limited to rudder-and-elevator style, are no problem; with freshly charged batteries it will loop easily from level flight. Stall turns and snap rolls are easily induced but the plane will recover nicely on its own.

Will try to upload vids later...

Just my .02 cents worth,

Joel
Old 11-06-2006, 09:20 PM
aeajr

Great information. Thanks!

I look forward to the Videos.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:48 AM
FlyVegas

Well, I can only give the opinion of a rank beginner. I have flown quite a bit on MS Flight Sim and a little on ClearView. A couple of weeks ago, I got a little 2-channel plane (11" wing) and flew it around the park a little bit. Then I got the Super Cub and took it out in the desert today. I was pretty nervous... not shaking... but I didn't want to crash my new plane and I knew it was inevitable!

I had no problem taking off from the ground. I had a couple of crashes and a couple of successful 5 minute flights. I had the ACT unit on at first but I felt that it was hindering rather than helping. This may have been because I was flying over a dry lake bed... the manual warns that light colored ground may confuse the unit. I seemed to fly much better with ACT off.

The end result was a wing that was nearly torn off near the fuse but it was easily repaired with CA, a broken prop (thank goodness I had a spare that came in the package), a cracked cowl and a slightly bent landing gear. I'm licking my wounds to my ego but it still feels good to have that experience under my belt. I know that I can do much better next time. I had fun and I realize that crashing is part of the game for a new pilot.

My pre-purchase research lead me to the Super Cub and I still think it was a good choice for me... but what the heck do I know?

I am using ClearView with an Esky controller and this combo is reasonably priced for a beginner's simulator. I got some extra planes from "Kens RC Simulator Page". http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/commun...pid=291233&ck=

The E-starter seems to be the closest thing to the Super Cub, though it is not a tail dragger... flight characteristics seem close. However, this plane locks up my computer. I have not had that problem with the FKstick (Ken's). I would recommend the E-starter if it will work on your machine.

Does anyone know of a ClearView compatible plane that would be more similar to the Super Cub than the E-starter?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:25 AM
aeajr

FlyVegas,

Congratulations on your first day out with the Super Cub.

Crashing is not necessarily part of learning to fly but it is far more likely for those who try to learn on their own with no help from a coach or an instructor. That is why these rugged RTF electrics are so popular. They are designed and targeted toward the self teaching crowd who are willing to go it alone and accept the crashes and breakage. The easy replacement of parts and quick repair has allowed eventual success for lot who would never have succeeded with a tradtional balsa plane.

Keep going.

If you have not seen it, you may find this thread helpful.

Six Keys to Success
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18
Old 11-06-2007, 10:25 PM
sgf323

Around 50 hours of Real Flight has given me 35 successful flights with a Mini Ultra Stick. The Super Cub has a huge following and everyone who flies it loves it but for anyone wanting to move up to a 4 channel plane, IMO, the simulator is a better option to get them there faster. I considered the Super Cub prior to buying Real Flight but I decided in the long run that would cost me more. Spending $150 on the Super Cub and then in a month spending more on another trainer, repeat... until I got to a plane I really wanted to fly.

With the simulator I could fly for hours at a time, no time wasted in between crashes and no costly repairs. If I did something wrong I could continue to practice until I got it right as apposed to making 1 mistake and being grounded for at least a day. Learning is harder to do when you can't keep on repeating your mistake immediately until you've learned how not to make it.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:00 AM
cjg

I had never flown before, had only 5 minutes of airplane simulator at the hobby shop, yet I do understand flight dynamics and flight controls (in theory only). (I did have a year experience on the BCX helicopter so did understand the flight controls of RC).

I bought the Supercub, did an ROG off the ground first try, less than perfect landing, no damage. I've had it since it came out and have only had one major crash that I fixed without parts. (Did go through half a dozen props). I never once used the ACT.

In short, this is a GREAT trainer for absolute newbies.

Last week I moved up to a T-28. I would have been in serious trouble starting with that.

I expect I will return time and again to the SC, it is relaxing flyer that doesn't need as much room as the T-28. (it's easier to avoid poles, etc as it flies slower).
Old 11-10-2007, 10:05 AM
aeajr

The HZ Super Cub is one of my two top recommendations for self trainers. The other one is the Multiplex Easy Star. Both seem to provide great opportunity for success.

Has anyone had to replace a wing?
Old 11-10-2007, 11:57 AM
pilotpete2

Hi Ed,
We have two of them flying at our field, both of the guys that bought them are "crash prone"
They have been doing great with them, the ACT seems to work real well[8D]
Pete
Old 11-10-2007, 12:19 PM
aeajr

I find ACT is a great asset IFF you read the instructions and understand what it does and does not do.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:45 AM
snowman333

I learned on the Super Cub and would highly recommend it to anyone that wants to learn how to fly , I learned the hard way ( on my own ) and I can testify that the SC can take some serious abuse . I crashed my many times and could always repair it with epoxy and some packing tape . I broke the tail section off twice , broke the wing into twice , broke the motor off once and it still fly great . I acually flew it into some cotten wood trees 150 feet up , I couldn't find it until the next day I was out looking for it thankfully the wind came up and dislodged it from its resting place , I could hear it falling through the limbs and thus located it a short distance away .
Here's my story .http://www.ampaviators.com/index.php...d=47&Itemid=27