Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

planes vs helis

Old 11-11-2006, 08:46 AM
eaglesfn68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default planes vs helis

which one should i get. what do you think the pros and cons are of each one. i have a tough decison to make and dont have much time.
you will proabaly say planes because thats the forum but dont be bias.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:49 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: planes vs helis

I have been flying planes for the last 3 years. I am pretty good now, have about 10 hanging on the wall and they all fly well. Some are even scratch built. I have been doing heli's for about 6 months. The are simply much harder to fly, but I am enjoying it because I get a rush if I just bring it down without doing any major damage to it.

I think planes have much more "modeling" involved. You can alter them and learn a lot.

Heli's have much more "tinkering" involved. Something always needs fixing and adjusting, you are alway upgrading some piece and unlike airplanes these are not things you can build, these are things you buy.

A lot may depend on if you have a good spot to fly in, and what would fit better a heli or a plane. It also helps to have knowledgeble people to help you.

Anyway that is my 2 cents.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:39 AM
groundparrot

If you have to ask, You are just a plane person.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:40 PM
RC-MAN-4EVA

I am a heli person Its fun and you can do really cool tricks with it like inverted hover (you can be like an inch off the ground if your good), Tick tocks, Funnels, and other cool routines. But it depends on what you like and how much $$ u want to spend. Helis are generally more expensive because if you crash it is very likely u'll loose your blades which mite range from $20-$80 depending on what size of heli ur running and that's not including other parts like the boom and skids, etc. But if your a beginner, i would get a CX cause you can fly it mainly indoors and it really neat to fly and land anywhere (coffee table, a box, counters). IF you plan to stick with heli then you mite wanna get something bigger so u can fly outdoors. A t-rex would be nice but it mite be $1000 but you can get a really basic kit for less (no shiney parts or carbon, mainly plastic). Or if you are really rich and you wanna go all out then get a T-rex 600 but that mite cost like $2000+ complete with radio but it only has like a 5-10 minute run time on batteries which cost like $200 a pack. Although it might seem alot to u, i've seen these birds do really cool things and they run like .50 size nitro helis (that is what i heard from ppl that fly 600's). Oh and i alost have to agree with lwatson, it depends on the size of the place ur flying, generally heli's take less room (hovering, mini circuits) and u can fly inside your living room with indoor micros (cx).