Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Electro streak

Old 11-12-2006, 09:07 AM
skrez
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electro streak

Hi folks,
Is anyone still flying the GP Electrostreak? I have an old kit that I`m building and want to use a brushless motor and lipo`s. Any suggestions on how to power this plane?

Regards,
Frank
Old 11-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Sky Sharkster

Default RE: Electro streak

Hello Frank, I don't own an Electro-Streak but do recall seeing the original fly in the late '80s. At that time we were using "Can" motors and NiCad batteries that were HEAVY! The Stone Ages, compared to Brushless and LiPolys. It flew, but like all the electrics of the time, was underpowered and overweight. Once it got "On The Step" with enough airspeed it was quite fast and maneuverable. Flights were short, caused by having to run the motor at nearly-full throttle. The combination of heavy batteries and high flight speeds took their toll on the airframe, particularly the fuselage.
None of which is meant to discourage you from building one now. The improvements in power systems alone should turn this model into a decent sport-aerobatic airplane. Here's a link to a build/flight report where the reviewer tried both the stock motor and a "Jeti 15/4" B/L motor.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183050
The Jeti seems like a good choice; This is one of the few non-outrunners that will turn a good-sized prop without a gear drive. With this model's size and weight you will need about 200-250 watts of power, nearly twice as much as a typical "Speed 400" model. Other motor options in this general power range would be (both outrunners) the "AXI 2814/12" and the MP Jet "Syncro AC 28/20-7". All 3 of these motors are available from Hobby-Lobby.com.
The speed controller should be rated for about 30-35 amps. A 3s1p LiPoly of at least 3000mAH (4000mAH would be better, or 3s2p) at 15C constant should be able to handle the power requirements. This is a serious power output, about like a .15 racing glow motor.
The latest "Electro Streak" ARF from Tower Hobbies has a fiberglass fuselage, they sell it separately, for $38.99. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAVR3
Hope this helps!
Ron
Old 11-13-2006, 11:16 AM
foo

If its any help,I have 3 balsa es with endos,2/1 gb,8 cell 1700 pak,9/8 prop,between 275 - 35o watts and it blows pass 60 sixe glo planes.Watch the throw on the elevator it will snap.I think the ailorens need to wider,it rolls too slow for me.Too many projects to do and too old.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:11 AM
skrez
My Feedback: (15)

Thanks guys for your replys. Hey Foo, if you plan on letting go of any of your ES`s , let me know and I`ll buy then from you.
Regards,
Frank
Old 03-29-2008, 08:55 PM
WO

If you can find the Scratch it is a builtup 40" plane simular to the electro streak. my problem is that you must throw away a motor and buy a 3s battery and fast motor and then land the plane with wing load of 19 oz or so. This is no glider and would take a accomplished fast mover pilot to land and not put in a trash bag. What do you think? Warren