Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Halo Longsword - any ideas?

Old 01-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Cheesehopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halo Longsword - any ideas?

Hi, I've posted this on the BMFA forum but I was wondering if you guys had any ideas.

You know the longsword from Halo, well does anyone think it would be possible to produce an either profile or simple traditional build (highly preferable) design of it with either EDF/pusher config? Because that would be SO cool and no-one's ever done it before. Just think, heading down to the patch and then everyone would be like what the...?
Thank goodness I've finally got this idea out of my head...
Link to all info here:
http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/sloftus_longswordtour/

Oh yeah, and a wingspan of about 30-55 inches

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19235.jpg
Views:	2581
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	590572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94504.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	590573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12873.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	590574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67450.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	590575  
Old 01-05-2007, 05:36 PM
flyingace451

Default RE: Halo Longsword - any ideas?

That would be so sweet!

...too bad I don't trust my building enough to even attempt it.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Heck, a little artistic license and some sheets of depron... That ought to be an easy one to make a reasonable facsimile of.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:49 AM
flyingace451

I still don't trust myself to attempt it
Old 01-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Cheesehopper

What, so a profile? I don't like profile planes too much, they're too.... flat. OTOH, easy to design/build, and probably the only way to make the design fly!
Then again... we can all dream.
Um, yeah, if anyone attempts this PLEASE say, and if you make plans (begging? I never...) please post them!
I've never actually made a plan before - I'm building a Simplex (December RCM&E) sssllooooooowwwly.
If depron is used for about a 30" wingspan, could I make a vaguely scale-shaped fuse and the bit where it merges into the wing (neither flat) and a flat wing?
I suppose a pelican is very vaguely possible... a big design would be needed to incorporate all the thrust pipes or whatever they're called.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:07 PM
flyingace451

a super Halo Pelican would be something that's roughly 6 feet long, and has turbines powering all 4 "thruster pipes". It could be one sweet VTOL...but seeing as how one turbine can costs thousands, it would be a pretty pricy build. Maybe EDFs? Or even a pusher from behind and the thrusters remain stationary...anyone up for the Pillar of Autumn?...actually you could make a blimp kind of like that.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Cheesehopper

A POA blimp?! Holy... that would also be great. Just imagine, sitting snugly in your garden, when you notice a giant spaceship silently floating by - it'd be funny if someone mistook it for a UFO and called the air force!
On the subject of the pelican, a simple 40" ish wingspan could do the job with 4 EDFs for the thrust pipes (I really need to find out what they're called) simply pointing down in a fixed position, but leave the tails movable. You could probably make it a built-up construction to and hide the fans as well... Then again, where could you put air intakes? There are none on the original. Oh well, so much for scale.

Oh well, back to the subject. Is it possible to make a hybrid (if you make a big enough model, say at least 20" span) of balsa formers and depron exterior? Also, can you curve Depron to a certain extent without creasing it? And would you have to elongate the airframe (it looks far too short)?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:29 PM
flyingace451

You could actually do a 6 mm depron internal skeleton, and use 3mm depron as an outer shell that makes it look scale instead of a profile. Depron flexes easily if you heat it up a bit, so it could definately be done.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Hatty

It seems like even if you made it, it would be pretty difficult to fly. But, just a suggestion, when they make things like airplanes and cars in games, then tend to make them outlandish and VERY futuristic. In no way would it be a practical craft. So, keeping that in mind, in order to build this, you will probably have to simplify things. So, I would start out by making sketches so that you can pick out the main points of the craft easier. Also, break it up into sections (ie front fuselage, left wing, left wingtip etc). Don't just start throwing stuff together. Draw everything out.

This looked very complicated at first, but now it looks pretty doable. Basic balsa and monokote would be the way I would go with this.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:27 AM
Cheesehopper

Whoa, sorry to disappoint, but I'm not going to try building this myself. I've just gone back to school and I've already got another scratch build project at the moment - my second plane!
Sorry to disappoint, but I may never make this. It was a suggestion wondering if anyone was interested, and I'm glad you are.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Cheesehopper

aw, have I scared everyone away? [&o] I was just thinking someone here might take up my idea and actually build a working model, which would be great (some may call me a slave driver...[>:])
I'm merely asking, is anyone willing to design a flying model LS and if they could, can they distribute the plans here?
How much lighter is say, 6mm depron compared to 6mm balsa?

Frankly, I reckon some random company should take up this idea to make me feel chuffed, but less importantly, they might make quite a lot...
Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 PM
U pwned who

hey just make the wings more of an  airfoil shape then a triangle so it produces lift.
but anyway i have 2 questions for someone who knows more about what there talking about then i do(which is most people) if u look at the flaps on the back of the engine thing in a 3d model or in one of the games youll notice that they are all seperate, i figured since its a spacecraft and flaps adn stuff dont work in space could those independtly move in directions not to act as flaps and other things but instead as some sort of thrust vectoring for steering?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:54 PM
U pwned who

oh yh i forgot the other question is if u added a  vent on top and hid this under a grate of somekind could you yuse hidden propellers inside to make it a vertical takeoff since it doesnt ever have landing gears(no runyway landings ever have in seen referenced about them anywere.)
Old 11-28-2011, 03:08 PM
yashi89

hey I have been considering making something on the lines of the pillar of autumn and several other concepts one of which is the halo long sword my problem is that i do not have the money quite yet to make them. but i have come up with some images of my thoughts and thought that I should put them in this blog.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:26 PM
yashi89