Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

GUANLI MODEL...WARBIRDS

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 02:05 AM
fitzis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GUANLI MODEL...WARBIRDS

I have recently bought and assembled a Guanli Model F4U Corsair. The kit is RTF and made of EPS. The whole thing is basically a copy of the GWS kits that are better known on the market. The Radio gear is a knock off of a 4 Channel Futaba skysport. The motor is a "370" with gearbox and as far as I can tell its the equivelent of a GWS 300CS-C it also has a GWS Knock off 25amp ESC.

I Re painted my bird straight out of the box as I didnt like the Scheme, But seem to have payed the ultimate price as It wont leave the ground under the power of the brushed setup that was supplied....[] The qouted flying weight on the box was 408g...Mine is 500g...

I am in the middle of upgrading the motor to a 25amp Brushless outrunner and waiting on a mount to arrive in the post. It has twice the thrust and have my fingers crossed that this will certainly sort the men out from the boys...[>:]

I am wanting to know if there is anybody else out there with one of these " GUANLI MODEL " kits just to get a bit of an idea of trials and tribulations other folk might be having.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28025.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	597467  
Old 02-04-2007, 09:56 PM
randon12

Default RE: GUANLI MODEL...WARBIRDS

Know your problem! Bought a Guanli Model P51D having same problem way under powered "LS 370" motor. Made more repairs from just taxiing on the ground than flying other planes. Wont even fly hand launched. I have never seen this plane fly. Guanli's Website does have a picture of this model flying (trick photo?) Where did you buy the Corsair, don’t see it on there site?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:24 AM
fitzis

Hi there Randon12,
I bought the Corsair on an web site similar to EBAY here in New Zealand, Its all turned to custard here as the maiden flight didnt go too well due to pilot inexperience. If you are Interested follow the link as there is a whole story going on and few other guys in California sharing your frustration...

[link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628028[/link]
Old 04-26-2007, 12:07 PM
crashcrash

I went to the other site and I'm getting the same info...weak in power. I just got mine delivered today, it's not even put together. My parkZone cub is the same...weak in power which causes nasty crashes. I ordered the higher pitch prop and it does climb at a better rate. Looks like my ParkZone prop might be interchangable. The supplied ESC don't look very powerful either. I'm contemplating just sending it back un-touched. I would recommend straight out of the gate getting a higher pitch propeller. This plane is supposed to be for intermediate pilots. If I do decide to give it a shot...no landing gears. I'll pick up some thin aluminum tape for the skid areas. Also, instead of using the supplied glue, I'll use Loctite 3 minute epoxy. That worked great on the ParkZone. I would also recommend you launch into a 5-7mph wind minimal, 12mph max. I've flown the Parkzone in up to 18mph winds...it gets pretty hairy above 12mph. The plane looks fine. You can bet it was engineered at minimal power specs to save $$ on the supplied parts. I'm also considering using a 3S Li-Po battery to replace the stock battery (11.1V 800Mha). This may also be a saving grace on the power issue. It's a nice looking semi-scale, I'd hate to dump it the first time out. I dunno what I'm going to do yet.[X(]
ORIGINAL: fitzis

Hi there Randon12,
I bought the Corsair on an web site similar to EBAY here in New Zealand, Its all turned to custard here as the maiden flight didnt go too well due to pilot inexperience. If you are Interested follow the link as there is a whole story going on and few other guys in California sharing your frustration...

[link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628028[/link]
Old 04-26-2007, 10:59 PM
crashcrash

OK...I built it up. I did run into a few snags here and there. I used LOCTITE 3 minute epoxy instead of the supplied epoxy glue. The paint job SUCKS. I made a mistake with the decale and tried to re-do it...took the paint right off so I removed all decales except the star/bars and the white stripe. I'll be picking up some Corsair blue at the LHS tomorrow to retouch the white areas where the paint ripped off. The LGears SUCK...I didn't even put them on. The flight control pushrods for the elevator and rudder SUCK...I used a spare set off the ParkZone because they have clevises. Other than the decales and the push rods the build was uneventful. I installed an AR6000 for my DX6 radio instead of using the factory radio. Ended up reversing the rudder and ailerons...no biggie. I did a full power up of the motor system. Thrust is good enough where it almost would hang on the prop. I personally dont see a problem for it to get airborne power wise. I got to make sure the trim and flight controls are perfect zero (I know this one well). Assuming it survives it's maiden flight, THEN I'll fix the paint job. No sense in buying paint if I'm just gonna put it in the trash. If it flies well...I'll get some semi-scale landing gears like some of you have done. I'll give a report after the flight/crash tomorrow.[:@]
Old 04-27-2007, 05:17 PM
crashcrash

I see this thread is just getting pounded (LOL). I took it out and put it up...then promptly crashed into some trees when she rolled due to a side gust (12mph gusts to 17mph). Tore the nose off it going thru trees and bushes. Damage was limited to the front end. I epoxied it back together and took it out again. Fighting wind big time Almost lost it a few times, and almost put it into a tree (again). I saw an oppertunity to land...so I did (good landing). I put it back up, and I was fighting the heck out of the wind again (this time out I set my primary dual rate to 50%).
Setting the primary dual rate to 50% helped alot. I still had plenty of flight control movement but I couldn't severely over react. Fighting the wind again, I decided to land again and I did so. The plane looks like crap...half the paint tore off, epoxy, no decales. I think it will fly as long as the wind is below 10mph...otherwise, you got a fight on your hands. I think the 10-8 prop is not enough. Needs to be 10-9 because you don't have power authority through the throttle (not enough power to get you out of trouble.

Parts...I contacted Hobb-e Store, they don't list parts for this plane. Makes me wonder about support for this plane. I'm still waiting for an answer. I'll follow up on this later.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:54 PM
crashcrash

Ended up finishing it out in a swamp. Flew like a rollercoaster and I could NOT get it to stabilize. Instead of hitting a house, I put it down in the swamp...It didn't survive it. My personal observation...It's a good plane and the power is there for flight. It's something I did...might be elevator trim. It HATES any wind at all (I flew the ParkZone Cub right after I finished off the Corsair with NO problems at all and I'll be flying it tomorrow too). I'm waiting for a response for support of parts. If it's cheap enough, I'll just order a complete airframe less the radio gear and battery and transfer my stuff. I'm NOT holding my breath though. I did not install the landing gear...that was a good move, and I cut the tail gear off. You don't need it because when you belly her in, it's smooth. I recommend hand launch and belly on grass landings. I still might switch to the ParkZone P51 because of good support of parts. Depends on what the jokers who sold me the Corsair do.[:@]
Old 05-16-2007, 10:06 PM
crashcrash

Followup on the guanli corsair. After the last crash...I found that the wire for the on/off switch under the shrink wrap was loose...this would explain the madness of up/down/up/down/ crash. I actually did get it to fly a half pattern (at 1/2 throttle) before it went berserk and crashed in the swamp. I brought it home and re-built it again. I have a GWS 1080 propeller I installed but the pitch and length is a bit much for a 370-12T motor. I cut 1/2" off each end of the propeller making it a 9/8 and seems to produce a lot of pull on the aircraft and the motor don't seem to mind the load. I'm supposed to buy a low wind day tomorrow, it's been pretty bad today. Tomorrow...it's fly or die. I really think it'll fly now I've addressed the switch and the propeller. I think the supplied 10-6 props are just barely enough to get airborne under perfect conditions (eg...bare minimum required to produce flight). I have on order a Great Planes Corsair as it's replacement. Mine (Guanli) looks beat to heck and I would be embarrased to show up in any field with it. So after I train on the Guanli (if I can ever get this pig airborne), I switch to the Great Planes. My personal observation of the Guanli Corsair is as follows:
1. Replace the prop right out of the gate to a 9-7 or 9-8.
2. DO NOT use the supplied radio system (I use a DX6).
3. Check carefully all solder points on switches etc.
4. There is LIMITED to NO support by the people who sell them...it's your problem.
5. Don't buy one...get the Great Planes or the GWS, at least theres replacement parts and support.

Personally...I think it has potential to be a great flying and great looking model but the quality is just NOT there. They got my last dollar and they know it. I contacted the factory that makes them...they're right out of their minds. For a case of 4 complete unit's they want $94 ea, shipped. Thats barely better than the $100 it would cost from a dealer. People who sell them should be inspecting the electronics/solder work and going over the kit completely before allowing the consumer to purchase it. As shipped...it's a dangerous item that could really hurt someone. If this were a FIREARM or a CAR...there would be a massive recall. You get what you pay for, and the Guanli line of planes should be avoided UNLESS you are willing to go over it with a fine tooth comb and replace all of the electronics, and bypass the on/off switch.

I'll post results of tomorrows KAMAKAZI attempt to make this thing fly one more time.[>:]
Old 05-17-2007, 06:07 PM
crashcrash

I had enough....I took it out all trimmed out, new prop, paint etc. I put it up...again...it's all over the place went nose straight up. I cut the throttle and landed it. Put it up again...same...all over the place...I landed it. Adjusted the elevator to neg and hand launced again..schmuck...broke the prop and tore the front off again. I promptly stomped the main wing into the ground...I'm done with this garbage. I stripped every useable part off it and tossed it in the burn pit. My final evaluation of the Guanli...JUNK... and I'm done with it. I got the Great Planes Corsair on the way...bet that one will fly. I kinda kew the results were going to be the same as before with the Guanli....I'll NEVER buy another for sure.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:28 AM
flying_lion

Were you ever able to find spare parts for the plane? I have tried several different websites and nobody carries the parts. You'll find a wing here and there, but no fuselage. I hate to say it, but the price of the plane is nowhere near the cost of the plane.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:36 AM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: flying_lion

Were you ever able to find spare parts for the plane? I have tried several different websites and nobody carries the parts. You'll find a wing here and there, but no fuselage. I hate to say it, but the price of the plane is nowhere near the cost of the plane.

Ended up stripping it down and putting it in the BURN pit.[:'(][:'(] I bought the GreatPlanes Corsair...it was in some ways WORSE than the Guanli. I found out after smashing the Guanli...it needs WEIGHT in the front to fly right...and make sure all the solder connections on the switches are good (I had a loose one which caused the first two crashes). If I bought another one, I'd do pretty good with it knowing what I know now. I might buy another one.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:53 AM
flying_lion

lol With mine, weight in the front is no problem, especially considering all of the epoxy that I had to use in order to put the jigsaw pieces of foam puzzle back together. All of my controls were reversed right out of the box and I didn't catch it until was too late. (ie, stick forward was up, stick down was down, etc.) First time that I had seen that one. I would like this plane alot better if there were more parts available. I am a bit torn on whether to buy another one, or just go with a GWS.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:58 AM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: flying_lion

lol With mine, weight in the front is no problem, especially considering all of the epoxy that I had to use in order to put the jigsaw pieces of foam puzzle back together. All of my controls were reversed right out of the box and I didn't catch it until was too late. (ie, stick forward was up, stick down was down, etc.) First time that I had seen that one. I would like this plane alot better if there were more parts available. I am a bit torn on whether to buy another one, or just go with a GWS.

I'd stay away from GWS...I've heard stories. I'll buy another Guanli. For $100...it's not a bad deal including radio I guess but you better check it close (Radio, wiring, CG and all) before flying it.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Dave ESPI

I have 2 GuanLI planes at the moment.
A ME-109 and a PBY Katalina (catalina). = PLEASE SEE A good thread on WATTFLIER forums)
The PBY and the ME-109 were both built beautifly from the factory.

I did repaint some of the details on the ME-109 and the PBY right out of the box. It was "fine" , but I always have to tweek my planes.

All the electronics worked just fine right out of the box, and had minimal glitches in surface range test.
I added a bit of tape to leading edges and key "skid" zones, and strengthened areas that I figured would be sub par with endurance (tail area).

the ROG test showed more than enough aole power to get the PBY moving over snow easily, and the ME109 wanted to take off in my living room.. LOL.

While I'm sure the can handle a bit more power, I will be interested to see how they do once up and in the air.

I personaly HATE building the GWS stuff, so I have hopes for these flying "OK". I've spent 10 hours+ building a GWS plane only to see it smash in a similar failure to anyother plane that is RTF.(that whole gravity + sudden stop thing).

If ave to replace the RX/TX with a DX6 mod, It will be the least of my worries I just hate building the damn things from scratch LOL
Old 08-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Wrench66
My Feedback: (16)

I was given the FW190 Focke Wulf airframe from a friend and promptly pulled all the power and radio equip out of it. I am using a laser 4 TX with a Berg4l and 4 blue 9gr servos all around. I redid the ailerons to work from 2 servos imbedded in the wing as the stock setup would not center correctly. I am using an Emax 2822 1200kv brushless with 8x4 prop and 1000mh 3s lipo. I have enough power with this combo to pull vertical for a good stretch (not unlimited but pert near) AND since it only pulls 13a WOT I can get approx 10min out of the batt. I can hand launch or ROG with little more than 1/2 thr.
The general airframe is very good.......does all the good aerobatic manouvers and is very fast. Also flys in wind with very little trouble with this power combo

I like it. Here is a video of it, enjoy.

Ray

Chino Renegades RC Flyers Club

http://www.vimeo.com/1584199
Old 02-16-2010, 10:39 PM
wildaero

i know this is an old thread but why not... LOL
I really like the guanli corsair, i just purchased the upgraded brushless version rtf and ifs great! very fast and manuverable. a few issues but for 100$ plane well worth it!
heres a video

wildaero.com

Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Rebel60

OK, so... from another newbie. I also bought the Guanli F4 Corsair with the 380 motor and NiMH battery setup. Had to laugh atFitzis's description of trying to fly it as I could have written it word for word from my experience! I wasn't worried about weight from the paint... I was worried about weight from all the epoxy gluing the thing back together after the first four crashes. Then Bobby from NitroPlanes dropped me a hint over the phone. He said "the Guanli's are all a little tail heavy. I put a couple AA batteries up front to counter act... it was kind of a quick fix..."

So.. sounded good to me! I put two AA batteries in that large compartment just behind the motor. Stuck them in with shipping tape. The next time I tried it, the darn thing flew just like it was supposed to! Take off run seemed a little long, but there wasn't any wind. Nice level take off. Kept the nose down to gather speed. Long turn to the right... and then this tree ran right into the nose of my plane! (My depth perception isn't what it used to be. Thought I'd miss the tree.)

Anyway, can't wait to glue it back together and try again! It was fun while it lasted!
Old 03-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Oregon mud

The GuanLi models seem to be a bit more user friendly with the brushless power systems some vendors are adding to them.