Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Sig's new parkflyer

Old 02-05-2003, 11:50 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sig's new parkflyer

Looks like Sig is getting into the parkflyer show....their first entry is a scale version of the venerable Curtis JN-4 "Jenny". It is built similar to the GWS TM, but utilizes hardwood wing struts and a "180" size motor. From the pics it looks very nice, and will be up to Sig's usual high quality. Jollyroger
Old 02-06-2003, 05:17 PM
goofup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't find it.
You got a URL, a name, or something?

Goofup
Old 02-07-2003, 12:14 PM
rahtware

Found it on the Tower Hobbies site!

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDUC6&P=0

Looks good to me and the price seems right.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	53389_15871.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	32995  
Old 02-08-2003, 03:41 AM
pdansalvish
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a full page add in MAN and RC Report for the plane.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:42 AM
goofup

The Tower site info is all messed up (and it's not on the Sig site yet).

So does the ad in the mag say it has ailerons or not?

Thanks,
Goofup
Old 08-21-2003, 08:13 PM
fmacvpusa

Default SIG JN4 Jenny and Bristol Scout

Hi, Guys and Gals,
I purchased the Jenny (finally) and built it stricktly adhering to their instructions. The first flight needed only slight trim. After getting comfortable with it (which only took minutes) I tried a loop---wrong thing to do, as both left wings collapsed! Fortunately, there was only minor damage to the rest of the plane. I repaired the damage, re-inforcing the breaks with epoxy and mylar tape, also applied mylor strapping tape on the leading edges and trailing edges from tip to tip on both wings.
The next flight required some slight trim, and I decided to attempt a loop----Again, the wrong thing to do, as both left wings collapsed, this time with disastrous results.
I contacted SIG about this, and they informed me that this was the first time they had heard of the problem. The tech I spoke to flies a Jenny, and he said that he loops his all the time with no problems.
I had previously ordered SIG's Bristol Scout, but immediately cancelled the order when I discovered tha the Scout has essentially the same wing as the Jenny.
Has anyone out there had the same problem with their Jenny or Scout?????
Two more things- 1. It does NOT have ailerons. 2. It's a little pricey when compared to a GWS product.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:56 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

A member of my club has one. He had a similar problem with the wing folding.

I can see why. There is absolutely NO support for the wings other than the foam itself, and it's essentially CREASED when you assemble the plane to get the stock dihedral.

Adding tape to the top will not prevent the wing from folding in "positive G" maneuvers like a loop. Tape is very strong in tension, but has no strength in compression, so it just buckles when it's on the top of the wing! You need to put tape on the BOTTOM of the wing, all the way across, if you want to add strength. Obviously, it should have been done before you glued the wing to the struts...

The local guy fixed his by cutting out plywood dihedral braces, notching them to fit around the cabane struts in the middle.

Now, whose fault is it? Who knows? Maybe you put too much of a kink in the wing when you added the dihedral in one of the wings, and made a weak spot. One wing failed, and just like last week's blackout, it cascaded to the other because one wing couldn't take the stress by itself. Maybe the machine they stamp the wings out with was out of adjustment. It made the scale contour in that area too deep, and made a weak spot.

Frankly, the damage can't be all that bad unless you ran over it with a lawnmower after crashing! Anything can be fixed. Get yourself some 5-minute epoxy and start putting the pieces back together. With any luck, the wings popped off and you can add some fiberglass strapping tape along the bottom of the wing to strengthen it.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:34 PM
fmacvpusa

Default Jenny

Mike,
Thanks for the response.
The tape was applied to the BOTTOM of both wings from tip to tip at the leading and trailing edges, also front to rear, top and bottom over the repaired break.
The plane landed nose down and caused considerable damage. The entire front end is in small pieces, the motor torn from the mount, the motor shaft broken (not just bent), the cowel is split and crunched to the point of being un-repairable, not to mention the damage to the wings and cabanes. I have repaired more than my share of foam park flyers, and I consider this one TOTALED!