Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

1957 NATS NEED DECAL HELP

Old 02-05-2007, 12:04 PM
GWILLIE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1957 NATS NEED DECAL HELP

I need help for some decals. Does anyone have a clean scan of the old AMA wings over “AMA”, the original 1957 Nats decal, and a scan the PAA letters? The AMA was black as I’ve scanned it, the Nats was color as scanned, and I have nothing on the PAA. I never had an original set; I hand painted mine the night before processing. Help –Help!!

A few summers ago, 50 actually, I built a Veco Commanche and a Peter Pan to fly in the America and Jet PAAload classes at the 1957 Nationals in Willow Grove, PA. The Peter Pan was designed by Dallas Sherman and published in the June 1956 Flying Models. I didn’t do very well at the Nats, but I had one grand experience. Being at an event where all classes and everyone you’ve ever seen and worshipped in the mags shared the same work hanger was awesome! I joined AMA as a junior and was and am very proud of my 2825 license number.

Anyhow, 50 years later, I am building another Commanche, original size, but his time with electric power and 3 channel micro RC. I’m also building another Peter Pan, but 1.5 original size, GWS fan with a Fiego brushless motor, and 4 channel micro RC, ailerons and rudder/elevator mixing on the vee tail. I need the above scans so I can recreate my wonderful summer projects from 50 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15058.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	614412  
Old 02-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1957 NATS NEED DECAL HELP

Hi,

I'll e-mail Bob Aberle about the decal and point him towards this thread. Bob was also at that event in 1957, so perhaps he can help you.

Here is an excerpt from Bob Hunt's editorial (on Bob Aberle) from May of 2004 in Model Aviation.

Bob's first RC model was a Guillow's Trixter Beam that was designed by the late, great Lou Andrews. By 1957, Bob was seriously into RC modeling and was using the Lorenz two-tube receiver that was published in Model Airplane News. It was a much more reliable system! Around that time Bob also passed the required test and received his amateur radio (HAM) license. He has maintained his assigned call sign, W2QPP, to this day.
Bob did lots of competition flying all along the Eastern Seaboard and attended his first Nats in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, in 1957. He didn't win anything that year, but he has always enjoyed the competition aspect of modeling, and in recent years he has won many awards at major meets.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1957 NATS NEED DECAL HELP

Hi,

Bob Aberle is down in Florida right now enjoying some warmer climate and won't return until springtime. Here is his suggestion as he don't have access to his computer files in Florida.

I really don't have any access to my files while down here. But I'm sure John Worth ([email protected]) would have something.

Even a better suggestion, try Rich LaGrange, the AMA Librarian. He is a wonderful guy and feel free to mention my name. I'm only guessing but I think his AMA e-mail is [email protected].

Bob A.