Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

A little help here please

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Mayday!Mayday!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help here please

Ok, so I need a little help on finding out who manufactured this plane. I picked this up used and looks like I have to do a little work to it, however I do not know where the center of gravity is.
I do have a good guess on auw-maybe 20/22 oz.
The wing span is 36 inches.
I have a feeling the covering is "stock" but the letters 330L Extra are not.
Can anyone help identify this plane and maker.

Thanks

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49705.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	649140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27746.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	649141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38675.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	649142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56251.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	649143  
Old 03-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Mayday!Mayday!

Default RE: A little help here please

Can anyone guess on COG? I would hate to have the cog way off and bash this into the ground.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:30 PM
SS2P

COG is at 30% of the wing.. normally..
Old 03-25-2007, 02:57 PM
packyj

It looks remarkably similar to the 330 I bought from peakmodel.com
Old 03-25-2007, 03:27 PM
azouleym

to calculate the center of gravity, you have to first find the mean averge chord. you do that by averaging the tip chord with the center chord. first of all if the wing comes in two parts it becomes a little bit harder but for now ill try to explain how to do this with a single wing.

1 measure how long the outmost part of the wing is from leading edge, to the trailing edge (with your plane lets say that is 6 inches)
2 then measure the inner most part --where the wing is at its largest, its the part that is inside of the plane--(lets say on yours its 12 inches)
3 take the average of the two measurements and you get 9 inches right......
4 take your ruler and somewhere on your wing there will be a point that will be from "le" to "te" 9 inches (remember 9 inches is hypothetical)
5 9 inches is the average mean chord. that is the point where you will measure between 25%-33% behind the leading edge depending how you want the plane to fly--i like 28 percent...prety stable...but around 30 percent the plane becomes more agile...remember not to go beyond this...or your plane WILL CRASH!!!! i have experiance.
6 to find the porportions you multiply 9 inches by 25 percent-30 percent...you get 2.25-and about 3 inches......so when you find the mean average chord (9inches) in the wing, measure back between 2 1/4 inches to about 3 inches back from the leading edge of the "MAC"....this will always be the same point on both wing halves because they are symettrical. this is where your plane should always balance

now if you have 2 wing halves you have to find out how large the root chord would be if the wing were one piece. i would lay the wing on a graph paper and extend the lines from the LE and TE a few inches....then measure how wide the fusalage is where the wing connects and devide it in 2 and add that length to how long the wing is....doing this you can get a better idea of how large the root chord will be
Old 03-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Mayday!Mayday!

Thanks for the replys good info.
I was also looking to find who makes the plane. It makes it easier to find info, build threads, mods and such.
I figure this will be around 20/22 oz, so a park 450 outrunner should do it good. It doesn't seem much different (size/weight) than them mini sportser.
Thanks again.

I assume to get the 25-30% that inculdes measuring the airlerons too.?
Old 03-25-2007, 07:37 PM
packyj

Again I've got a plane from peakmodel that is pretty much identical running an a22-20 motor. Haven't flown it yet but it definitely has enough power with a 10x4.7 prop
Old 03-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Mayday!Mayday!

I found it.

http://www.himodel.com/plane/Extra_3..._Airplane.html

Now just have to see about if they have a replacement cowl for it. I have a small crack in this one.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:42 PM
azouleym

yes the ailerons are included in this measurement.......although they are controll surfaces, when everything is equaled out at neutral they assist in the airflo over the wing.