Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brushless 370 vs 370 (brushed) w/Gearbox

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:25 PM
MikeC557

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless 370 vs 370 (brushed) w/Gearbox

My question is this... usable power wise is the brushless 370 (say using a S3 Lipo) faster or have more power than a brushed 370 w/gearbox (and I have no idea what battery one would use with that)? How would you rate the two?

Thanks
MikeC557
Old 04-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Leo L

Default RE: Brushless 370 vs 370 (brushed) w/Gearbox

Brushless come in two forms: outrunner and inrunner. The inrunner is designed to be used in direct replacement of a brushed motor utilizing the gearbox. The outrunner is designed to be used as a direct drive with no gearbox.

If you compare the brushless inrunner 370 to the speed (brushed) 370, utilizing the same gearbox, same prop and same battery, you will find that you have significantly more power and more speed. The outrunner will have less power but significantly more speed than the geared inrunner. By changing the prop and battery, your performance increases that much more.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 PM
SS2P

With "370" elfite 370 outrunner popped into mind. I have flown both in and outrunners, outrunners will be my choice from the day I got my 1st one. They are quite, powerful, and easy to setup.. IF you want to go fast choose a higher kv motor, for slow, a lower kV motor..
You will be amazed of how much more power you have, if you setup your airplane with correct motor and lipos your airplane will go straight up, trust me..
Old 04-10-2007, 09:03 PM
MikeC557

In fact it is an Eflite Park 370 brushless outrunner. I was trying to get a feel for how that compares, powerwise, to a brushed 370 with a gearbox. I plan to put the Park 370 into the Sport Flyers Wasp I'm building. I mentioned this to someone who seemed to be less than impressed with the idea. But I think they may have thought I meant the brushed/gearbox set up. But I don't know... I guess I'm just second guessing my motor choice. Is KV the way to judge the various motors or should I compare thrust instead?

Thanks for your thoughts
Mike
Old 04-10-2007, 10:02 PM
SS2P

High kv will spin small props fast ( will make your airplane fast but will not have as good of a climb aka not as much thrust) low kv will spin large props slower but will give you more thrust. Generally, low kv is used by 3d/aerobatic models.I just checked out the wasp and as you can see at hobbypeople.net they already give you a brushless motor recommedation.I copyed this for you. Follow this and you will do fine

Radio required: 3-4 channel or more w/2-4 micro servos and micro Rx
Motor required: KMS 31/21 Brushless Outrunner
ESC Required: 18AMP Brushless
Battery required: 2 cell 1320mAH LiPO

Paul