Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

New GWS Nano Receiver Started Smoking, what did I do wrong?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

New GWS Nano Receiver Started Smoking, what did I do wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:28 PM
dpsa98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GWS Nano Receiver Started Smoking, what did I do wrong?

Ok I'm sure I must have done something really stupid. I just received my GWS Nano receiver today that I WAS[:@] going to put in my new 3D Foamy Supercap 232. I got over excited to make sure that the crystal they sent and the receiver worked so I thought I would check it out like I check the receivers on my gas planes. I plugged 1 servo into the receiver turned on my radio then just put my battery a regular 4.8V 700maH Ni-Cd battery into the 6 slot on the receiver and bam it shot fire out of the receiver and started smoking. I have anohter electric plane that I have a regular Li-Po battery connected to my esc then the esc connected to the receiver. I just got over excited and just stopped thinking all together when I tried this. I did make sure to check what was negative and positive prior to connecting the battery but that did not seem to be the problem.
What part made the explosion happen?

1. Using the Ni-Cd battery and Not Li-Po
2. Skipping the use of the ESC between the battery and receiver
3. All of the above

Old 04-26-2007, 03:23 AM
jooNorway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New GWS Nano Receiver Started Smoking, what did I do wrong?

If I read you correct: You did connect 1 servo to the receiver and then a 4.8 NiCd to an other channel to check the receiver? All polarity vere correct... and it smoked. Then there have been a short in your receiver, and it should be replaced by the seller!

You did NOT connect the ESC with the motorbattery connected, AND a receiver battery in addition??? If so you have done a mistake, and you have to buy a new receiver at your own cost.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:41 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New GWS Nano Receiver Started Smoking, what did I do wrong?

His comment about what battery you used is right on target. If you used you flight battery say 7 or 8 cell Nicad or multi cell lipo you pushed too many volts into the reciever. 4.8V or 4 cell nicad/nimh is all that should be plugged directly into your Rx.
I have 5 or 6 GWS recievers with total satisfaction.