Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Soldering question

Old 10-21-2007, 12:29 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soldering question

I am building A123 packs for my plane. Do you guys always use the flux ( what do you call the paste to aid the adhesion?) for the molten solder to adhere to metal(like in a battery tab)? I have a 40 w radioshack soldering iron with rosin solder. Do I need that special paste too?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:35 AM
SackOHammers

Default RE: Soldering question

With the rosin core / flux core solder you should be ok. It might be beneficial to clean your iron with some... but not required. With your solder selection you shouldn't need to use extra flux... but it probably wouldn't hurt.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:37 AM
calvino

personally, it doesn't hurt to apply some flux to the surfaces you are soldering, unles it is very delicate, flux alows the solder to flow with minimum heat, which is what you need when you are building packs, I don't know if a 40 W. iron will be hot enough to provide a joint in the shortest amount of time, most people use those soldering guns, like 150 W and up, just a thought,[8D]
Old 10-21-2007, 04:13 PM

Thanks....

Also where can I find a 6-pin balance connector with longer leads?
(0.1" pin spacing matching an Astro Blinky) I dont wanna make my own leads because I somehow manage to "short"!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Ryan CSRC

Be careful using flux with electronics, and if you do use it, make sure and clean it off completely after soldering. Flux can corrode and damage the joint over time.

On the balance leads, how long do you need them to be? We have a wide variety in the accessories page of our website.

Ryan Lefevre
www.CommonSenseRC.com
The Go To Guys for Electric Power
Old 10-23-2007, 06:22 PM

Whats the max length I can get for a 6 or a 7,8 pin ( I may not use all pins)? I need like 20"!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Hatty

ORIGINAL: calvino

I don't know if a 40 W. iron will be hot enough to provide a joint in the shortest amount of time, most people use those soldering guns, like 150 W and up, just a thought,[8D]

The bigger the soldering iron the better. You do not want to use a 40w iron because it will take too long to get the tab hot enough. When you gradually heat up the battery tab like that, you run the risk of overheating the battery. Thats why you use a large iron which will heat the tab up very quickly, solder the connection quickly, then cool it down quickly to keep the heat from spreading to the battery.

Also, I usually clean metal tabs by sanding them with a fine sand paper. It gives a better connection and makes it adhere better.