Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

First electric?

Old 12-28-2007, 11:12 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First electric?

Looking to get into flying, figure electric would be easier to start with.

I'm looking at these 2 planes, any opinions about either?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXNVC0**&P=0

or

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJUS5&P=0

(Feel free to suggest others, no more than $300 though)

Ideally, I want something that flies somewhat slowly and with stability, and can withstand a less than perfect landing without being absolutely destroyed. I hear from a lot of people to stick to a plane without ailerons when training, is that worth doing? I guess I just cant imagine a plane without them being able to maneuver :/

Another issue is that I have a lot of space to fly..... but theres NEVER zero wind, so I dont know if one or the other is better for training with wind.

I also want a plane that is a good stepping stone to more complicated models, so I dont want one something thats super easy to fly and impressive if its not also similar to more advanced models.

Keep in mind that while I am new to aircraft, I'm not at all new to RC so I have no issues with motors, engines, batteries, radios, building, etc.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:29 PM
Sir Raleigh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First electric?

A plane with just rudder and no ailerons flies just fine. It's the dihedral (the "V" shape) of the wing that allows a rudder-only plane to turn. Take the dihedral out and make the plane's wing flat then the rudder will only skew the tail left and right, called "crabbing".

Ailerons come into play when you want to perform aerobatics like rolls and other specialized maneuvers that will require ailerons.

As for planes, have you considered the Hobbyzone Super Cub (rudder only): http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7100

or the Hobby-Lobby Wing Dragon 4 (rudder and ailerons): http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wingdragon4.htm
Old 12-28-2007, 11:37 PM
patnchris

I think the Electristar will do you very well. However, I think you would have more luck if you could get some stick time with a trainer and box, or some simulator time. Keep in mind, you will crash, so durable, and easily repairable become important, also. The Multiplex Magister is also a 63 inch high wing and is a good flyer. It is made of Elapor Foam...Not sure what that is, but it is pretty darned durable...I weighs in around 5 lbs and handles a little wind well. Keep in mind, not to many models will tolerate winds over 15mph.....Also, while larger planes do tend to fly better, the larger the plane, the larger the battery packs need to be and that can be a deal killer. A 5 lb trainer type and even a sport type, that weighs 5 lbs, will take no less than 4S 4000ma. Depending on the plane, you may wind up with 5S 4200 ma. And then you will want enough batteries so that you can fly 2 or 3 flights and be charging while flying.....I actually found that 4 batteries, works out well for me, as I can get in enough flying with 4 packs that the first will almost be fully charged off my field set-up. After 4 flights one is probably ready for a short rest, and by the time you are ready to fly again you'll have at least 2 fully charged. By the time you fly those, two out. Then , if you still want to fly, just stick to the program and one could get 10 flights per day. That may not sound like a lot, but if you take several planes to the field and fly each one 6-7 times, that is a lot of flying.....Pat
Old 12-29-2007, 03:20 AM
sheograth

Thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah as for batteries I have tons, lipos, nimhs, chargers, the works.

The Hobbyzone super cub doesnt have dihedral wings, so does that mean the rudder alone is ineffective?
Old 12-29-2007, 07:29 AM
patnchris

The Super Cub does have dihedral wings. IT actually turns quite well with rudder, alone.....Pat
Old 12-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Leo L

The two best beginner planes are the HobbyZone SuperCub and the Multiplex EasyStar. I prefer the SuperCub because it has landing gear, looks like a real plane and has parts that are readily available at most hobby shops. (Just don't use the ACT feature - it causes more problems than it solves.)
Old 12-29-2007, 09:50 PM
j.m.

Try the fly zone skyfly!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKLV7&P=ML

With that big of a budget, you can easily afford to upgrade it.

This was my first rc plane (got it for x-mas this year) And i haven't crashed it yet! It is a GREAT flyer!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:29 PM
sheograth

Oh I see, the cub does have dihedral wings, I didnt see it at the right angle.

I'll do a bit more research but it looks like thats gonna be my first plane.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Sir Raleigh

I don't know why the photos of these planes doesn't show the dihedral, but even the Wing Dragon 4 with ailerons has a dihedral, and the plane will turn just using the ailerons without using the rudder.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Witterings

Can't go far wrong with the Super Cub an excellent 1st plane, I'd still look at getting a simulator as well and spending some time on it, if nothing esle it helps the orientation become second nature which in itself will save you at least one crash !!!!!!
A great second plane is the Multiplex MiniMag which is the smaller version of the Magister mentioned earlier, alternatively if you've lots of simulator time you culd possibly start with the MiniMag, it can be set up to fly Rudder only to start with and then at a later stage you can plug in and use ailerons as well but I'd advise you had an experienced pilot with you at least for the 1st few flights. The Elapor in the Multiplex planes is incredibly strong as well, was on the beach yesterday letting someone have their 1st ever fly and they bought it down in the distance with a big bang, I thought the plane was probably totalled as it went in hard and think luck must have been on our side but literally no damage at all which amased me. If you do break them they glue back together with normal cyno as well and can be back in the air in a few minutes. To keep the cost down as well I've a GWS 2212/13T motor which requires a bit of trimming of the motor mount to let it turn freely but flies the plane superbly and is now being used by my son who's just gone to ailerons from the Super Cub.
Hope that's of help >
Neville
Old 01-13-2008, 05:09 AM
skyblue

A new pilot brought a Electrostar to our field. I flew it for him once. It flew well. The plane is well designed and constructed and will be a good trainer as long as you have someone to train you.If you can afford it go with the Electrostar.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:59 AM
DeadStick Dave

3d Hobby Shop has an excellent electric trainer. Everything they make is excellent. Go to www.3DHobbyShop.com and take a look.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Fly or Die

If you're looking for a good quality, easy to fly, yet still fun to fly airplane go with this one!

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/mini-telemaster.htm
Old 01-15-2008, 07:46 PM
pilotpete2

Beautiful plane and is also available as a kit for 30 bucks[8D]
Paid 25 bucks for my kit, will start it as soon as the post Holiday "honeydo" list is completed
Pete
Old 02-22-2008, 03:04 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Everything you want to know about electric flight
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm

There is an article on "what to check on an RTF" that you might find interesting.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:08 AM
northchim

Sheograth:

Definitely go for the EasyStar for your first plane. It was my first plane and I'm so glad I chose it. First of all the Elapor foam is very duable and easy to repair and secondly you want a pusher prop otherwise you're going to replace props everytime you have a rough landing which will be many in the beginning. I have never broken one prop on my EasyStar since I've had it. I have had numerous BIG crashes too. Go for the EasyStar, you won't regret it.

Note: I taught myself to fly with this plane.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:53 AM
aeajr

Easy Star is always my #1 recommendation.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:49 PM
ozrcboy

At the risk of seeming a member of the easystar fan club there are a few other benefits of the easystar which means that even long after you have moved onto more advanced models you will still take the easystar to the park with you:

- Excellent lift capability. She can carry 100g slung under a wing close to the fuse and not even notice it (like a mini video camera). She could probably carry 300-400g well positioned directly under the fuse and still fly adequately.
- A quite decent motor glider - on warm days you will thermal off the earth, and periods of up to 5-10 minutes with no power are far from unheard of.
- A fun, cheap, hotliner (sort of) - stick about 250 watts into this plane and she handles the speed like she was built for it. Use a slowish inrunner - around the 2000kv to 2800kv mark and 3s LiPo - hint - if you use the stock motor first, run an extra engine lead for the brushless upgrade you may do later. One other hint - if you are going to run her at this speed put a little more carbon fibre into the wings (extending the reach of the CF spare about 4-6 inches at each end is a good distance).

I have around 20 aircraft now, and easystar is still one of my favorites - she's so durable that if you want to try something crazy, she's always up for it. I've tried using mine as a flying boat as well as trying to tow launch a glider the other day. As a camera platform she is awesome, and unlike a slow stick is not grounded by a little wind.

If you want to see some of this versatility in action this youtube vid might interest you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZd8fTFHGh4

I learnt on a plane called an Electrafun XP - Pod and boom flyer - not sure you get it in the states or it goes by another name, perfectly capable aircraft, but the easystar I still fly almost every weekend - and yes I've got some glitchy barely stay in the air without lots of coffee and dialed in attention, but the easystar is an easy plane to have fun with...

Cheers,
oz.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am once again attempting to post. Thus far I have not been able to do so. I have requested info on this but what I dis receive is exactly what I have done at all times. Logged in that wrote my post in blank area at end of page. Perhaps I do not know how to find the post??? Or it just won't work for me but know not why?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:06 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey this time it worked great. Now I'll ask a question thatr I have not seen answered as yet.
I have built and fllown several electrics that have not provided any cooling exits for air. i thought this is very important? To name 2 that I have without air exit they are. E-Flites At-6, and Mustang.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:50 AM
aeajr

Yes, you need exits, especially on foam fuselages.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:19 PM
j.m.

without exits, there isn't any real flow over the motor and esc. It's just air being shoved into the fuselage that gets compressed, and eventually might burst the fuse like an overfilled balloon.

As for planes, try this one if you don't mind doing a little building:
http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=223

The only thing on this plane to really build is the fuselage, which is EXTREMELY easy to do. If you have basic carpentry skills, you should be able to throw it together in under 3 hours.