Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon Butterfly battery issue

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Carbon Butterfly battery issue

Old 01-02-2008, 10:10 AM
103/17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Butterfly battery issue

Anyone have a Plantraco Carbon Butterfly they are flying? I have a new one and I am having intermittent battery connection problems. Sometimes I can get a 10 second flight and other times I can get a 2 minute flight. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the issue. I have cleaned the contacts over and over and I cant get consistent results. I have held the battery against the terminals and it will run in my hand forever, as soon as I let go of the battery its a matter of seconds and it quits. Sometimes the receiver resets itself and is ready to go again, other times it doesnt. Its not fun to operate because it wont stay running long enough to enjoy. I had one flight that lasted about 3 minutes, thats the longest. Its never been damaged and flys well for the short durations it flys. Any help from someone flying a Carbon Butterfly would be appeciated.

103/17
Old 01-02-2008, 11:50 AM
whitecrest

Default RE: Carbon Butterfly battery issue

You might be able to slip an O-ring over the top of the battery and circuit board to assist the magnets. This would both improve the electrical contact and prevent the battery from flying off with a hard landing. You just need to find the right size O-ring at the hardware store. You want a snug fit without crushing the battery and circuit board.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:28 PM
103/17

Great idea. I tried a small zip tie but it didnt work because it wasnt flexable enough. I also thought a small piece of velcro might work but I havent had time to manufacture one. I wish Plantraco would return a message so they can fix it properly. After paying $300.00 I would like it to work........ Thanks again.

103/17
Old 01-02-2008, 12:57 PM
wings 540

Try a rubber band? I don't own one, but it might work.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:38 PM
103/17

I just got a reply from Plantraco and we are trying to work through the issue.

103/17
Old 01-03-2008, 11:03 AM
pilotpete2

Great meeting last night[8D] It was fun to see it fly.
The carbon butterfly is cool, but tooo delicate for my ham fists
Cheers,
Pete
Old 03-07-2008, 10:24 PM
garyanderson

Carbon Butterfly from Plantraco, a complete absolute ripoff. I stopped at a new hobbyshop today that just started carrying there stuff, they had there micro butterflies, ladybugs, ect. It all looks great and they had 4 of the carbon butterfly's in stock, I asked to see one fly and the owner was more than happy to show me, that was until he could not get one of these tiny magnet batteries to hook up to the plane's receiver, he tried man I dont know how many batteries but it was rediculous. He said well I am sure its just a receiver issue so he opens another case up, sampe issues only this butterfly had the material comming apart from the rudder area and the elevator area, I mean for 300 bucks would you not think these issues would not exist???

I walked out of the store dumbfounded and will absolutely not buy a plantraco product, they have battery issues and the last thing I want is my 300 dollar plane deciding to stop flying because there batteries don't hook up correctly. I think the owner of the store got my frustration and I could sense his, he had tons of inventory, I feel sorry for how he will ever get rid of it. Maybe the Chinese syndrome has hit plantraco, have it made over in Chine (batteries), its cheaper, more profit, but in the end look what you get. What you don't know about me is I own four other plantraco models, there speed racers that I built myself and I have never had a battery issue and just by looking at these batteries they are not the same quality, some of the magnets on the batteries did not even meet up, there is no way it could sync up on the receiver.

Wake Up Plantraco, you will ruin your reputation with junk.

Gary Anderson
Groton South Dakota
Old 03-08-2008, 09:51 AM
103/17

I have a resolution. Jason at Plantraco took me under his wing and sent me a battery with a new cleaning proceedure. Mine flys fine now and is a blast. They are fradule and frail to look at but mine has taken quite a lot of impact abuse and is none the worse for any of it. I did have a problem with the prop stripping on the little adapter but they are $1.00 to repair. It was frustrating to spend 300 bucks and have a month or better of fooling around to fix it but I will say the end result is amazing. My new battery did the trick, I can fly for a full charge with no battery diconnect and disruption.

103/17
Old 03-08-2008, 06:59 PM
garyanderson

It's a great idea, the bahoma batteries, but my gosh if you can't get a connect when it locks itself into place what is it worth? I am just surprised at the price they are that this kind of stuff happens, I have gone back on the forum and seen many complaints about this but nobody gives an accurate solution, clean the battery ends, blah blah blah. I looked at a few of these batteries at this guys hobby shop and the two little magnets on the battery were not even lined up where they could even connect. That is what happens when you start farming your good ideas and work to China, then the problems happen. Oh well enough rant, enjoy yours and thanks for the info.

G