Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Nexstar EP ,prop question

Old 03-02-2008, 12:57 AM
briz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nexstar EP ,prop question

I just got a Nexstar EP,it has a stock 10x5 prop, the manual says that you can move up to a 10x7 prop for more power.
My question is,"Can I use an 11x7 prop"? WIll this be OK? Or will it hurt the outrunner brushless motor/ESC?
The reason I ask is that I bought the 11x7 by mistake but the plane has the ground clearance for it so I would like to use it if I can.
Thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 06:38 PM
ozrcboy

Default RE: Nexstar EP ,prop question

Hi,

The 11x7 will probably be too big, causing the motor to draw too many amps. The amount of amps that a motor draws is directly proportional to the volume of air it is trying to move. When you go up it is not the ratio of prop sizes that determines the new amp draw - eg 10:11 - 10% more, it is the square of the prop diameters eg 100:121 - 20% more.

If you knew the rating for the motor, and could test the amp draw then you might be able to figure out whether or not going up a prop size would be safe. However, if you don't have this gear and kit then going and swapping your 11x7 for a 10x7 (or even just buying a 10x7) will be cheaper.

If you can't easily get to the shop you could try shaving half an inch off each end, but make sure you balance the prop (put a drinking straw through the hole and make sure it sits level), but seriously - buying the correct prop is your easiest way to avoid pain here.

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:41 PM
briz

Default RE: Nexstar EP ,prop question

Thanks for the reply,
The props are cheap enough, I yhink I will just get the correct props and maybe find someone at the club who might need the 11x7's.