Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive direct fit brushless motor for Easy Star?

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Inexpensive direct fit brushless motor for Easy Star?

Old 03-05-2008, 05:59 PM
rcplayer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexpensive direct fit brushless motor for Easy Star?

Hello fellas,

I am looking for an inexpensive brushless motor for my Easy Star. One that will fit right in without any mods.

Id like a brushless esc that I can use my four IB1200 mah nimh batteries for it.

I have some eskays but I have read they dont have enoug power for the Easy Star.

Any sugggestions/links?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 10:45 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Inexpensive direct fit brushless motor for Easy Star?

I'd suggest saving up some money for a MEGA, E-Flite or NEU brushless motor along with 3 or 2 cell Lipo depending on motor and ESC. You will not regret it.

I'm currently running a 3 cell 2100mAh flightpower LiPo, Castle 36A thunderbird ESC, and MEGA 16/15/5 Brushless motor on a 6x4 prop for my EZ. This setup cost me about 200 bucks and it was totally worth it. I'm getting on average a 20min+ flight with great thrust and excellent pitch speed. GPS says about 50mph level flight. Climb rate is incredible.

Ryan
Old 03-06-2008, 03:53 AM
ozrcboy

I use one of these on mine with a 3s LiPo and 5.5x4.5 prop - performance is great. Also the 2000kv brother of this motor is good with a 6x4 of a 7x5 cut down to 6x5.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4201

30A Towerpro ESC - great combo - you can have motor and ESC for less than the price of the MEGA. Don't get me wrong, but they are kind of wasted on the EZ* - it will be so good with this motor anyway.

Don't forget to put some more CF in your wings.

Cheers,
oz.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:09 PM
ryan_t888

I don't believe they are wasted on this type of plane. The UH hobby motor linked would out perform the specific MEGA I have on my EZ. But I am getting excellent efficiency with a great life span.

The UH motor will be a much cheaper option but I would recommend the 2000kv motor vs the 2700kv motor. My MEGA is 1800kv and draws around 12-14A on a 6x4

Ryan
Old 03-07-2008, 09:01 AM
ozrcboy

Hmmm..., life span on a brushless - as long as it is run in spec it is pretty much the life of the brushes. I'm pulling 24A at static, and 22A in the air at WOT. Well within spec.

As for the Mega etc - if you buy a more expensive motor start out running a prop that pulls amps within spec, but afterwards you might like to try getting a bit more out of it. These expensive motors seem to take the abuse and come back for more.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:20 PM
ryan_t888

I ran a feigao 380s in an edf and it ran well with in spec. About a year later I re-measured it on a data logger, and it is no longer producing as many RPM's at a cost of increased current.

Magnets must have weakened in time thus making the motor much less efficient than a year before.

Saving money is great but if you can manage purchasing a better quality motor, it is well worth it. Current, I only run MEGA's, NEU's, Axi, Hacker and Lehner motors. I've noticed a great improvement in efficiency and life span.

Ryan