Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Zagi Tazz LiPo set up?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:41 PM
tlroliff
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zagi Tazz LiPo set up?

I am a long time "slimer" flyer that is slowly succumbing to the electric side of the hobby. My first experience with LiPo batteries will be to set up my trusty Zagi Tazz. I am currently running the stock brushless motor w/Castle Creations Phoenix 25 and 8-cell, 1800 mah NiMh battery that came with the kit. We ran this set up with a 3S LiPo pack Monday night and my WattsUp showed over 40 amps at full throttle, even with a 4.75x4.75 APC prop. Obviously that isnt going to work!

Will I ever be able to prop this set up down enough or am I looking at a new motor and or speed controller?

The experienced e-flyers at the field thought maybe a 4x4 prop or maybe a Master Airscrew since they are less efficient.

If a motor and or ESC is in order, any suggestions on a motor to run with this ESC (or motor/ESC combo) that would give good perforance on the Zagi?

Bear with me as I am learning as I go here. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Zagi Tazz LiPo set up?

I wouldn't count it out as it still works fine for me. Check out my now 3 year old review and video of the Zagi Tazz [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=463]here[/link].
Old 07-09-2008, 07:43 PM
tlroliff
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Zagi Tazz LiPo set up?

Thank you Greg, good info. I seem to be pulling considerably more current with what appears to be the same set up, with the exception of the 4.75x4.75 APC prop so that must be the difference. We did try a stock Zagi prop but didn't seem to make much of a difference. It appears more experimenting is in order before I give up.