Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

VQ "Delta Rocket"

Old 02-06-2009, 01:54 AM
mce719

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VQ "Delta Rocket"

Just purchased a Vinh Quang Delta Rocket ARF and below are some of the build pics. A couple things stuck out when I inspected the aircraft...The instructions are mostly pics with little to no detail and the covering is wrinkled on all the control surfaces (smoothed with an iron). First, the battery hatch has got two strips of plastic on the inside surface that function as two interference tabs on either end which keeps the hatch in place and you have to bend the hatch lengthwise slightly to get past these tabs. Second you have to remove the fuselage screw located on the bottom rear of the fuselage. Once this is done you'll see a pretty cavernous fuselage that is real clean of obstructions. Now you have to mount the motor and are given the option of mounting it either on the outside or inside of the bulkhead/mount. I mounted mine (E-Flite 370 inrunner) by opening the the bulkhead shaft hole to allow for the motor to be mounted with a little more of the shaft exposed. Two retaining screw holes were drilled and countersinked to allow for the retaining screws to be flush with the bulkhead/mount surface. Attached a 5x5 plastic prop to a 2.3mm prop adapter and secured it to the motor shaft. I placed a couple of small pieces of adhesive backed Velcro to the ESC (Castle Creations Thunderbird 18) and a length of adhesive backed Velcro to the fuselage inner surface to retain it. Placed a small piece of double-back tape (servo tape) on the top surface of a cross member on the opposite side to mount my reciever (Spektrum 6ch - top connection) and allow room for the two antenna to route freeley within the airframe. I cut the covering on either side of the nose at the first two openings to allow for air to pass through the fuselage and over the ESC to help cooling. I placed a length adhesive backed heavy duty Velcro on the inside surface of the fuselage next to the nose bulkhead to mount the battery (L Dong- Max 25C 1300mah LiPo) which got the mating piece of heavy duty Velcro attached along its length on the side of the pack. I cut two rectangular openings for the servos (Hitec HS-55); one on either side of the fuselage, through the covering on the bottom of the wing with running with the chord of the wing (these openings exist but needed to be widened to accept the servo width). The instructions tell you to make two openings through the covering further out on the wing and along the length of the wing. This did not make sense to me since the available openings were oval, too far away from the fuselage and the wing depth too shallow to accept the servos. I drilled pilot holes for the servo mount screws through the supplied servo mounts to make placing the screws easier and prevent cracking of the plywood mount. After putting it all back together I checked the CG against the required location of 5.7"~5.9" and found it was in spec. I checked to see that the location of the pilot had no impact on the CG before attaching him. It has been raining here and I hope to have some good weather tomorrow to maiden it. More to come.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51629.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1128575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48220.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1128576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx63254.jpg
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1128577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30988.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1128578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg54989.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1128579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja40641.jpg
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1128580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac62619.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1128581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kj32459.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1128582  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz47757.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1128583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dp73839.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1128584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou86241.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1128585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk49482.jpg
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1128586  
Old 02-08-2009, 02:25 PM
mce719

Default RE: VQ "Delta Rocket"

The assembly instructions indicate a distance between the stabilizers which does not specify their symmetry from the fuselage centerline, however I have found that the stabilizers should each be ~12 degrees outboard. Also, the stabilizer cutouts in the wing needed to be cleared of excessive covering and the stabilizer tabs pressed down on their inbord sides at an angle to achieve the correct mounting angle (squegeeing the balsa to take shape rather than sanding away balsa)
Old 02-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Spid

The name fits. I still fly mine and it rips! Here's an existing thread on it.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_65..._1/key_/tm.htm

Best of luck with yours.

Kevin
Old 02-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was a miserable failure!
It never flew despite motor changes.
I removed the motor and ballasted it for sloping, and it was a miserable failure there too!

Name:	Qo40097.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1132497  
Old 02-10-2009, 08:09 PM
mce719

Thanks Spid. I maidened it today and found it needed slightly more than 3 deg elevon reflex. It pitches when reducing the throttle abrutly, but after dialing it in I found that it will need some expo to smooth it out. Took it easy to find the qwerks and will try again later, but from what I've seen she should "rocket". Thanks for the thread, I'll be sure to read up.

Sorry to hear about your rocket troubles Tall Paul, I hope you don't give up on it.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Spid

ORIGINAL: mce719

Thanks Spid. I maidened it today and found it needed slightly more than 3 deg elevon reflex. It pitches when reducing the throttle abrutly, but after dialing it in I found that it will need some expo to smooth it out. Took it easy to find the qwerks and will try again later, but from what I've seen she should "rocket". Thanks for the thread, I'll be sure to read up.

Sorry to hear about your rocket troubles Tall Paul, I hope you don't give up on it.
Yup, you need a little reflex dialed in and some expo as well. It is a little pitch sensitive, I'm running mine a tad nose heavy. Here's an in flight photo my buddy took of it last year.

Name:	Rp42448.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	1132558  
Old 02-19-2009, 01:47 PM
iflyg450

I was wondering if this motor would get the job done: Turnigy HXT2030 (130S) 4300KV. Battery would be 3S 1250 20C. What would be a good prop and what kind of performance are we talking.