Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

which plane is a good choice?

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

which plane is a good choice?

Old 05-30-2009, 08:56 PM
chrisdodge65
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which plane is a good choice?

I have an Eflite 400 outrunner with an Eflite 30 amp brushless speed control and the batteries are 3 cell 25C 11.1volt 2300 mah lipo's.Which plane either 3D,fun flier or all around plane is a good to perfect match for this setup?

Thank you.
Chris
Old 05-30-2009, 10:53 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: which plane is a good choice?

Well the Eflite Park 400 outrunner is only good for 10A continuous, which means your only going to have about 110W of power. That's going to limit to you to about a 1lb plane to have much aerobatic performance. That LiPo is really too big for a 1lb plane. Typical setups for the Park 400 include a 20A ESC and 3S 1000mAh LiPo.

Check out this Lightweight Outrunner Setup for the Eflite Edge 540 EP Profile Plane . That setup is probably best for sport flying, for 3D you probably have to go with their Park 450 motor.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:33 AM
chrisdodge65

Thank you very much Paul.You have been very helpful. I have that setup I described on a blue foam 3D type.Will that lipo batterie do any damage to the motor and speed control?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:02 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

No, LiPo won't do any damage to your motor or speed controller, it's just larger than you need for a plane that size. With that larger battery pack, your gaining runtime at the expensive of added weight, so the plane won't fly as well as it would with the smaller, lighter pack. Since that's what you have right now, you can always use it initially in your new plane, and if you find you want it to be a little more aerobatic, you can lighten it up by buying some smaller/lighter packs with ~1000mAh capacity.

I've got a Himax motor setup with a little higher power rating (12A continuous, 14A peak) that I fly with 3S 1200mAh packs. That is installed in a blue foam plane I designed and built. It's a little heavier than a standard profile foamie, I think it's about 18-19oz RTF. It has OK sport performance, but not a lot of vertical or 3D performance. I'm just thinking if I put one of my 3S 2200mAh packs in it, that extra weight would make it a real dog!

Bottom line is, if you can keep the all up weight low enough with your 2300mAh pack, and the flight performance is acceptable to you, then you're set. Otherwise you can get a smaller pack and make it more aerobatic.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-31-2009, 05:57 PM
chrisdodge65

It sure does help Paul.Thank you very much.