Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

SuperStar crash on water...mechanical failure???

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

SuperStar crash on water...mechanical failure???

Old 06-15-2009, 01:25 PM
  #1  
cracker39
Thread Starter
 
cracker39's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lake Alfred, FL
Posts: 144
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SuperStar crash on water...mechanical failure???

If you see this post more than once, I apologize.
Yesterday, I attemped my maiden flight of my modified SuperStar-EP.I had made a set of floats for it and the stock brush motor didn’t have the power to get it off the water with the extra weight.I replaced the entire electric system with a 25A combo package from Maxprod.com.That is a 300 watt, 48 oz thrust HiMax brushless motor with the ESC and a 10x7E prop.This package is equivalent to a .25 glow according to Maxprod.com and I figured it had enough power for the SS SS-EP on floats.
On takeoff, it got in the air quickly, then, it acted very erratically.As you can see in the video, it nosed over to the left and down.After retrieving the plane, I saw that the motor mount was loose.I didn’t have much firewall to epoxy it to, so I drilled four screw holes in the corners but found that only one screw was holding the mount to the firewall. I suppose that I just didn't put in the other three screws.That one screw was in the upper left corner, allowing the motor to lift up andangleto the left.I believe that this is what made it fly the way it did…into the water.Take a look at the video and see if you think the same.
The plane floated upside down on the wing as it drifted back to shore and the wing got water inside it.I punctured the covering at one end for the water to drain out.Itaped the wing to boards for a dayto try to keep it from warping as it dries out. Today Itested the aileron servo and it still works.The other servos and electrics didn’t get much water contact and have dried out and are alsoworking, including the servo that I installed inone float to activate the water rudder.

The first two photos below show a cable from the rudder to steer the float rudder. A couple of days ago, I installed a rudder servo in my foam float with a cover to protect it. The last two photos show the water deflector I made to keep water from getting into the fuse from the underside of the engine. In the first two photos. you can see the cover I made for the bottom hatch that is open in the rear to allow air to go out but not let water in while taxiing.
The video link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAtFkmGw8mY
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58208.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1218786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28496.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1218787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85761.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1218788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91443.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1218789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju13635.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1218790  
Old 06-15-2009, 02:04 PM
  #2  
goirish
Senior Member
 
goirish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Litchfield, MI
Posts: 5,130
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SuperStar crash on water...mechanical failure???

How did it balance.  Looks tail heavy.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:04 PM
  #3  
cracker39
Thread Starter
 
cracker39's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lake Alfred, FL
Posts: 144
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SuperStar crash on water...mechanical failure???


ORIGINAL: goirish

How did it balance. Looks tail heavy.
You are right, I rechecked the balance and found it to be a little tail heavy. I lightened the plane by several ounces by replacing the motor and battery with lighter ones. I pushed the lipo battery as far forward to the firewall and thought I had it balanced well enough. Upon checking it again yesterday, I found that it needed about 4 ounces addedat the firewall to get a correct CG balance. This morning, I melted down a 4 ounce fishing weight an poured the leadinto a mold to make a rectangular weight just wide enough to fit across the inside of the fuse at the firewall and about 1/8" thick. I secured it in place and now the CG balances correctly. I also tweaked my elevator and rudder servo linkages so that they are both in line with the centerlines of the plane with the stick trims atneutral positions.

With the firewall secured, the CG balanced, and controls lined up, I think it should be stable now. I'll give it another try, but will wait until I get my Optic 6 back from being repaired so I will have differental and dual throws to start off. I was using my JR 4-channel for my maiden flight.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.