Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Use of battery balancing output to power BEC

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Use of battery balancing output to power BEC

Old 06-21-2009, 02:14 AM
Bob93447

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Use of battery balancing output to power BEC

Question for the experts,

I'm relatively new to electrics and have previously used a separate battery for the control functions. I'd like to lose weight and want to use a BEC. Is there any reason than I can't, or sould not, use the battery balancing leads to power my BEC. This would allow me to put a kill switch in line with the motor ESC and operate my control functions independently.

Thanks for you input in advance,

Bob
Old 06-21-2009, 01:15 PM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Use of battery balancing output to power BEC

I'm not too comfortable with the idea of using the dinkey balance connector for the mission critical power for your receiver.
Now you could very easily connect the BEC in parallel with the connector that the battery plugs into, then install your arming switch in the lead to the ESC, this way the radio is still powered with the arming switch in the off position, which I think was your original goal. This also makes removing the battery for charging easier than having to also unhook the balance lead from the BEC input.
This is how I'd do it, others mileage may vary
Cheers,
Pete
Old 06-26-2009, 10:21 AM
ray foley

hi there from Toledo!

my issue with that idea is that the wire gage may not support the current flow necessary for the rcvr and multiple servos. I agree with the pilot pete otherwise.

ciao -rjf
Old 06-26-2009, 11:27 AM
aramid

I don't think it would cause any problems.  The balance leads on all my batteries are lower-gauge than the servo lead running from the BEC to the receiver, so there's no reason to expect problems there - especially with a switchmode BEC, which will be pulling very low amperage on the high-voltage side.

It's probably not necessary, though.  It's another connection to deal with, and there's no reason you can't still install an arming switch even if you put the BEC on the main battery connector in parallel with the ESC.