Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

ParkZone Slo-V vs. GWS Slow Stick

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

ParkZone Slo-V vs. GWS Slow Stick

Old 07-24-2009, 12:23 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ParkZone Slo-V vs. GWS Slow Stick

I'm considering getting one of these two slow flyers in ARF form, and then power it with a brushless power system I already have (should work well on either one).

I like the look of the Slo-V better than the Slow Stick, but then to buy the individual parts for an "ARF" version of it costs about twice as much ($37) as an ARF version of the slow stick ($19 for an NPS version).

Anyone have experience with one or both of these planes? Any comments on one vs. the other?

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ1300]ParkZone Slo-V[/link]

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=GWSAE0018F]GWS Slow Stick (NPS)[/link]

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Sir Raleigh

Default RE: ParkZone Slo-V vs. GWS Slow Stick

I think they are basically the same plane except for the tail feathers. I think even the wings are interchangeable between the two planes.

I have a Slow Stick but not a Slow-V. However, I have flown a Slow-V once and felt it was grossly under powered with the stock motor. If you're planning on using a brushless, then it should be okay.

The only other thing I don't like about the Slow-V (and this is only personal, not a flaw with the plane) is the "V" tail. I always have problems with the mechanical trimming part because you have to trim both control surfaces equally for the plane to fly properly, and I always get confused which way to trim for rudder vs. elevator.

With a conventional tail plane like the Slow Stick mechanical trimming is a no brainier... Adjust elevator for up/down trim, adjust rudder for left/right trim.

YMMV

Bill
Old 07-24-2009, 05:46 PM
patnchris

The V-tail on the Slo-V will require reinforcement to maintain it's integrity. The foam likes to distort, making it almost unflyable. I actually upgraded my Slo-V to a Rudder/Elevator tail.
The Slow Stik uses off the shelf standard sized parts. Not so with the Slo-V....The only parts that fit on a Slo-V without modification, are Slo-V parts. Keep in mind that the E-flight/Hanger 9 electric stick mounts will not fit on the Slo-V stick.....The Carbon fiber stick is too large. The aluminum stik is a standard size and all stick mounts fit it...
The Slow Stik flys better and handles the wind better. It can also be upGraded to an SSX with a built up wing.
The Slow Stik comes in different colors, to suit your fancy....
Old 07-24-2009, 06:28 PM
-pkh-

Thanks! Sounds like I'm better off saving some $$$ and getting the slow stick!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Sir Raleigh

I think you'll be very satisfied with the Slow Stick, Paul.

Also, my Slow Stick is my AP plane. I mounted the battery behind the motor and the camera mount under the CG of the plane. That way I can fly with or without the camera without having to readjust the CG.
All my batteries for the SS are the same size (Flightmax 2200 mAh, 3S, Lipo), so the CG doesn't change with battery changes.

A lot of people will mount the battery under the CG so they can use different size batteries without CG adjustment.

Bill
Old 07-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Leo L

To make it simple:

If you are looking for an RTF - get the Slow-V

If you are looking for an ARF - get the SlowStick
Old 07-31-2009, 12:11 PM
rmillerawacs
My Feedback: (20)

You can not got wrong with the Slow Stick!!!! I have so much fun with them!! On the 4th of July I put 2 roman candles on wings it was pretty cool!! Of course I had it modded with a brushless motor!!! Once you have the electronics you are set!!! Spare parts are cheap, this is the plane I always pull out for people wanting to learn how to fly! If you arder one without the pwr sys. you can find them for around 20 bucks. I always keep a few kits for back up and spare parts!!!!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:50 PM
-pkh-

Thanks guys. I think I've decided on the Slow Stick. MyAtomic.com has the yellow NPS version for $19, and they have free shipping on orders over $25, so I'm sure I can find $6 worth of other stuff I "need".
Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Holden Caulfield

Good choice, I would also recommend the Slow Stick. There's a lot you can do with it.
H.C.