Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Eflite RV-9

Old 07-25-2009, 03:05 PM
My Feedback: (314)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eflite RV-9

The gentleman in the nice white truck visited me this morning and dropped of the new Eflite RV-9 450. I've only been able to give it a quick once-over but it looks quite nice. I thought I'd open this thread and see what others think. I'm leaning toward an Eflite 480 with an Eflite 45 AMP ESC. Doesn't look like a difficult build. I have the instruction book out and ready to read through. Yeah, I'm one of those people.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:55 PM

Default RE: Eflite RV-9

Hey Mister M,

I just bought one from my LHS in Portland, Maine at noontime today. I've done the same as you looked through the box and cruised the instruction book. It does look like an easy build and the bolt on rudder/elevator are intriguing. I have planes with both the 450 and 480 power systems and even though I have a 450 motor/speed control available, I'm thinking it would perform better with the 480. This is a change for me as usually go by the recommended base power unit, but this plane is pretty big! I've tried to find other threads on this plane here and had a hard time searching. I actually used Google to find this one.

It will be a while before I can dedicate much time to the build due to travel and awful weather. Hope your's gets airborne soon. I have a friend who built a full size RV-9 and it's very impressive in looks and performance...fully aerobatic!

Clear skies,

Jaybird
Old 07-30-2009, 06:14 PM

I know what you mean about the weather. I also been battling the lack of Air Conditioning the past three weeks or so. Now that it's finally replaced, I have to finish my Pulse 25E. I'm also leaning toward the 480, again as you say , size. I have a 45AMP ESC switching type but at the moment I can't find it. I'll find it.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 AM

I was able to spend a few hours with the kit this weekend and made some more progress. I found the flap servo assembly rather frustrating as it took a lot off fiddling to get the two flaps adjusted to line up and the servo has to work pretty hard to hold them in the full up position. I've tried to eliminate as much binding as I can, but the servo really "buzzes" under the strain and reverberates inside the wing. I actually tried a several different servos with the same result. My tail section needed some slight twists removed with a heat gun. I have to finish up the cockpit hatch and install the rest of my radio/electronic grear and it will ready to test fly.

Jaybird
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26209.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	1253709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92370.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	1253710  
Old 08-10-2009, 11:13 AM

Found pictures of the full size homebuilt with this paint scheme, although it's a tricyle gear and the same scheme in white and yellow in the conventional gear. They look pretty cool!

Jaybird

Name:	Qo40474.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	1253744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48175.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1253745  
Old 08-10-2009, 04:15 PM

Hi Mr. M.
Wow, that is one nice looking plane[8D]
You scared me at first with your reference to the "gentleman in the nice white truck" coming to visit, Y'know this hobby can do that to you[]
Best of luck with the RV-9!

Jaybird,
By Portland, do you mean Ray & Robbins in W Falmouth? I stop there when I'm over in Portland, which is fairly often, what with our kids living in Gorham.
Nice photos[8D]
Regards,
Pete
Old 08-10-2009, 04:19 PM

Hi Pete,

Yes, Ray and Robin's is the place. They have another one on the shelf (or at least they did Friday) if you are interested. Do you ever fly at the Propsnappers field? I plan to go to the Guildhall, VT Warbird Fly-in this Saturday. I went a couple of years ago and met Rusty Scott and many other fine RC modelers there.

Happy flying!

Jaybird
Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 AM

Maidened mine this morning with a quick flight on the way to work. The 450 pulled it up with no problem and it cruised around at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle while I trimmed it out. It needed up and right aileron trim for level flight. It is pitch sensitive being so short and having a large elevator. Some expo and more flight time will have that taken care of. I need to relocate my receiver wire (I know "old school") as there was some signal interference with it inside the fuselage. Landing was nice with the flaps, but it did bounce when I touched down.

This will be fun!

Jaybird

Name:	Xu62430.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	1255343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70538.jpg
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1255344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35637.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1255345  
Old 08-13-2009, 07:55 PM

Well I hope to meet you there, looks like good weather is on tap[8D]
I've visited the propsnappers field off Running Hill RD, it is less than 10 minutes from our Daughter and S&Ls house in Gorham. I sure wish I was that close to Guildhall
I will probably be visiting Ray & Robbins the week before labor day, we are coming over to see the Trenton Thunders (We're transplants from Mr Mulligans neck o' the woods) play the Portland Seadogs with the kids.

Mr Mulligan,
You're invited too, too bad it's such a long way[:-]
Regards to all,
Pete
Old 08-13-2009, 10:40 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the invitation. I enjoy minor league baseball having been brought up in Williamsport, PA. We had Mets double AA and Phillie and Pirate teams as I was growing up. I'm going flying myself in the morning with a Seawind to test fly. I'll also take my Ultra Stik 25E with me. It's an old friend. Hope to get to the RV-9 soon.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:38 AM

Is that the little electric Seawind or the big'un?
Good luck with the test flight, let us know how it went.
Pete
Old 08-14-2009, 05:40 PM

It's the little foamy, the RXR version. No joy, I put a battery in to fly it and nothing, no music lights or anything. I tried 4 more and still nothing. I have to take it apart to find out what's going on. It has the Spectrum D500 RX in it and it bound up quickly over a month ago and worked perfectly. I have a feeling that with the connector block putting the connectors on top of the RX, something happened when I screwed the wing on. I had my Ultra Stik 25E with me and got some flights in with that. It is over a year old and flies great. It's powered by an AXi 2820/12 with a Castle Phoenix 45 AMP ESC and an Airtronics RD8000 on Ch21. That is a great combination. The last time I took the Seawind to the field, it was too windy to fly it. Today was a perfect day for any kind of flying.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:21 PM

Bummer about the problem, hope you get it sorted out.
I had thought about the ARF version to fly off snow here at the house. But the videos I have watched made me feel it may be a little fast for size of our property, so for now it will be Du-bro skis on the Slow Stick.
I have thought about the foamie Albatross ever since seeing one fly at Brunswick NAS last Sept. then reading the excellent review of the ARF in R/C Report (now back in an all electronic online format[8D])
Good luck with the Seawind.
Pete
Old 08-14-2009, 07:51 PM
DVI

Jaybird, What receiver are you using? Was it the 2.4 GHz Spectrum? Also have you mixed elevator with your wing flaps when deployed.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:30 AM

I'm still using 72 mHz on all my planes. The receiver is a JR Sport six channel single conversion. I ran the antenna wire out the bottom just behind the wing saddle an out to the tail. There is about 4 inches trailing past the rudder and now the radio signal is clear with no further problems. I have not mixed elevator at this point but I may as I figure out how to program in more flap down travel. I got in a few more flights after work last night and had a friend take some pictures. Apparently it's a tricky plane to catch on film! I am enjoying the relaxing flying and mild aerobatics. With the trim set, it will go pretty much the length of the field hands off in calm air. I'd like to lessen the amount of up trim required and will experiment more with battery placement and possibly a shim at the back of the rudder/elevator bolt on assembly.

Jaybird

Name:	He97168.jpg
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1258500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76936.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1258501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52618.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1258502  
Old 08-18-2009, 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

Well I hope to meet you there, looks like good weather is on tap[8D]
I've visited the propsnappers field off Running Hill RD, it is less than 10 minutes from our Daughter and S&Ls house in Gorham. I sure wish I was that close to Guildhall
I will probably be visiting Ray & Robbins the week before labor day, we are coming over to see the Trenton Thunders (We're transplants from Mr Mulligans neck o' the woods) play the Portland Seadogs with the kids.

Mr Mulligan,
You're invited too, too bad it's such a long way[:-]
Regards to all,
Pete

Hi Pete,

It was very nice to meet you and talk planes in Guildhall. I had a blast at the event and I guess that I put in about 12 flights with the three planes. I really thought about bringing the RV-9 with me, it would have been neat to show it to you and the rest of the crowd after the warbird part was over. There were some very impressive planes there and it was fun to be a part of it...especially when we put the four WWI planes up and chased each other around the field. I've included a couple of shots. If you can post or e-mail shots of the Waco that flew over that would be great!

Jaybird

Name:	Db85731.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	1258742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31787.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	1258743   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76294.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	1258744  
Old 08-20-2009, 04:25 PM

I tried moving my battery back another 1/4" or so and it didn't like it. It flew okay, but it became twitchy again and hard to handle. I moved it back to where I had it (with the up trim required for level flight) and it flew much better. In calm air this plane flies like it's on rails. Again the vertical performance is minimal, but it really cruises in level flight and wingovers. I also played with the flap programing and I now have the first stage with slight down elevator mixed in on a toggle switch and I can then vary the rest of the movement with a trim knob on the transmitter. It likes a lot of flap and slows nicely. The next step is to shim the tail group to try and eliminate the noticable up trim of the elevator. I'm thinking that a shim at the back of the assembly would help and then I can reduce the elevator trim.

Jaybird
Old 08-20-2009, 07:40 PM

Hi Jaybird,
It was nice meeting you at Guildhall. I'll let you know when I'm coming over your way in Sept. maybe we can meet at the hobby shop.
Well I hope these come out all right. Danged, those giant scale guys keep going larger and larger, very lifelike pilot bust too
Regards,
Pete

Name:	Hf99924.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1260010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71417.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1260011  
Old 09-08-2009, 08:01 PM
DVI

Guy's
I have completed my RV-9 and I put the Hitec 55 servo's into this model. The aileron servo's seem to do ok, But the elevator,rudder,and wing flaps really tax these small servo's. The servo's growl almost continually. The control surfaces
do not seem to be binding excessively. Anyway just wont to know what servo's other people are running in there RV-9.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:08 PM

Hi D,

I found that my rudder pushrod tube was binding on the pushrod at both ends. The end in the fuselage was squashed and the exit end at the tail had a burr. The flap servo has to work very hard and I found that working the flap hinges by hand and taking a Dremel end mill to the point where the torque rods exit helped a little. I ended up using a Futaba micro servo for the flaps (which still growls) and tried the E-Flite S-75's for the tail.

Jay
Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 PM
DVI

Jaybird
Thanks for the information, I'll check those push rods.

DVI
Old 09-11-2009, 05:58 PM

Since we are on the subject of the RV-9 450...... How much trouble would it be to change the covering or even recover this kit? My RV-9 paint scheme will be very similar but I plan to have yellow on top, white on the bottom and blue horizontal stripes and I want the R/C plane to match the real one. Should I remove all the old covering and start over for the weight savings or can I just cover what's already there with more ultracoat?
Old 09-11-2009, 10:41 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strip the old covering off first.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:16 AM

Cool. Thanks pdansalvish.

Will a heat gun do the trick? Will I be able to salvage the red "zig-zag" stripe?
Old 09-12-2009, 08:32 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you pull covering off it is next to impossible to put back on the plane. I use a combination of heat gun and trim/regular covering irons when covering planes. The biggest trick is pull then heat. You will never get wrinkles out of covering if it was never pulled tight first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.