Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are your other hobbies?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

What are your other hobbies?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:28 PM
flyingace451

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are your other hobbies?

Well, I couldn't find a "general off topic" or similar forum anywhere on this site, so I feel a slight twinge of guilt posting this here, but I couldn't find another option. Plus, I feel this is relevant to Electric flight "General" discussion (just barely relevant ) so I think it'd be an interested thread to learn what all of us do for fun other than build and fly

What are your other hobbies other than RC Airplanes? Personally, I am SCUBA certified and try to dive locally in rivers and quarries whenever I can, and I would love to go on another ocean diving trip when I can afford it. At my college, I'll be taking a SCUBA Safety and Accident Management class to help out with the diving.

Also, I'm into motorcycles, but right now all I can do is read about them and drool, because "I can't have one while living under my parents' roof." Thankfully I move out this summer.

Lastly, my mom and I have saltwater reef aquariums. Well, she has the larger reef tank, I just have a mantis shrimp tank with Princess the mantis shrimp in there. Youtube "mantis shrimp" if you are interested, you will see some really cool videos.

So enough about me, what about you? (Once again, I apologize but I couldn't find another home for this thread)
Old 11-22-2009, 07:32 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: What are your other hobbies?

I'm an R/C junkie. If I'm not flying, I'm boating or running trucks or even a R/C ice sail boat when conditions are right. Throw in a round of golf here and there and afew beers and you got me covered
Old 11-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Korvettes

I have two Corvettes, 82 with 35k original miles and a 66 that I am restoring. I also just tried scuba diving back in September in Belize. I want to get certified next summer. Also into Boy Scouts with my son. We are heading to Philmont next June for a 60-70 mile hike!!
Old 11-22-2009, 08:12 PM
flyingace451

Corvettes are amazing vehicles! I've never hiked 70 miles...yikes. I'm an outdoor guy, so I've had my fair share of hikes and backpacking trips, but nothing like that [X(]

I forgot to add that I'm involved with my college's rock climbing and kayaking club to stay outdoors and stay in relatively good fitness. [8D] I have too many hobbies Wait...having too many hobbies is almost impossible, isn't it? [>:]
Old 11-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyingace451

Well, I couldn't find a ''general off topic'' or similar forum anywhere on this site, ...
Actually, the Clubhouse is a good place for "other" stuff.

Mine: My Corvette, guitars, photography, and my collection of history books. I sold my '57 Ford Convertible, had it 40 years, or it would be on the list.

Dave Olson
Old 11-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Here's a pic that should be self-explanatory. After 30 years, five broken ribs, a bad knee and two bad hips I had to go to three wheels. I can fit a 60 inch wing span model into it and frequently "kill two birds with one stone" (-:
Walt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98309.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1319115  
Old 11-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Firefly54

I also am an R/C junky but love to hike,Kayak,Run rc cars all kinds of stuff. I especially love to ride in my brothers 72 Vet stingray!! the thing is sweet!! awesome thread by the way i like it when other people step out on a good branch every now and again as long as it dose not break!![8D]
Old 11-23-2009, 11:52 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Almost too many to list, and not enough time for any of them!! When I'm not flying models or full scale planes, or doing something with kid's school or church activities, I like to hunt deer,rabbit,squirel, turkey, and dove. I Also like to fish for Bass, Crappie, Blue Gill, and Catfish. I have a ski boat and love to swim, waterski, ride pwc's, and 4 wheelers. Have a Honda Foreman 450 4x4 and also ride motorcycles. I've owned everything from dirt bikes to Ninja's but am currently without a ride of my own and looking at buying a Goldwing. I also tinker with antique tractors. Currently have a 1938 Allis Chalmers WC, 1949 Farmal Super H, and a 1965 Oliver 1550 diesel. I also raise a vegetable garden and run farm equipment and heavy equipment now and then including back hoes, track hoes, and bulldozers. Fortunately I'm able to include my family in most of my hobbies, the rest just have to get squeezed in here and there.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:12 PM
patnchris

I am a woodworker. While my shop is small, I have the necessary tools to make furniture as I want. I have made curio cabinets, End tables, coffee tables, baby cradles, and display shelves of all kinds. I also made my flight box/stand ....
Old 11-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Tjettzky

Hockey cards and just getting my feet wet in studying about the Roman Empire. Does watching TV count as a hobby?
Old 11-23-2009, 10:03 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

USN ships
military planes
Restoring old fullsized hydroplanes 2.5L to 7L sizes
Building model boat kits & giving them away at day camps in the summer

Crashing my planes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93783.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1319474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61134.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1319475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35062.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1319476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88285.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1319477   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10476.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	1319478  
Old 11-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Walt Thyng

OOOO, that last one's a universal hobby (-: I tell new and prospective pilots to get used to crashes as there are only two kinds of real r/c pilots -those that have crashed one plane and those that have crashed (many) more than one!
Walt
Old 11-25-2009, 07:53 AM
twoslick2

I have an 81 Camaro ( Poor man's Vette). I am into computers, tropical fish,basketball, football and I guess my family would be counted as number 1
Old 11-26-2009, 09:21 PM
COLAB

i work on this great patent the Colab Wing, see the web site : www.colabsystems.com ...there is an english part on the forum.. i test some models for the inventor......
Old 11-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Walt Thyng

Man, I did NOT like the pop-up that got thru my security when I followed the link in Post #14.
Walt
Old 11-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its neat to see what others are into.

If its not R/C planes or cars/trucks its speaker design and engineering. An audiophile at heart, I design and build custom audio installations from arenas to cars. Doesn't pay the bills, but gets me a few toys every now and then.

1:1 cars are my other passion. I'm eagerly awaiting the new year for my new ride. It'll be right off the factory floor and shipped when the salt leaves. I wanted one in August but was told it was a 5 month wait, which puts me in the middle of winter staring at my 2010 2SS 1SB Aqua Blue Camaro with no where to cruise.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:13 PM
b16a2sir
My Feedback: (3)

besides all RC stuff, I am into motorbikes. Mainly my 1987 Yamaha YSR 50, it is a mid-bike which is street legal, 50cc stock, 5-speed. I have swapped a couple engines and currently a Derbi 50cc which is liquid cooled and 6 speed!! fun fun, I enjoy the tinkering as much as the riding.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:59 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/2A glow rules!!...but I have 1 750 Honda, a 250 Honda reflex scooter (my favorite) and a 1963 Cushman scooter,,woodworking and as its my last week of my job, I am going back to school next month for machining, have my own lathe..electric heli's too,,but I would like to get into aerial photo work too...Rog