Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Beginner Question re wires from motor?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Beginner Question re wires from motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:52 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Question re wires from motor?

I'm not a beginner to RC but to electric flight. My oldest son is buiding, with my help, and Aerodrome RC Fokker D7. We have a Turnigy motor and Turnigy ESC, neither of which has great instructions. My question is what wires go to what? There are three leads from the motor, color coded, and three matching leads from the ESC, but they are all red, and are labled A, B, C, (or maybe 1, 2,3). I'm sure they hook up, but I don't want to fry something.
Thanks in advance,
Sam
Old 12-12-2009, 09:13 PM
OEMFlyer

Default RE: Beginner Question re wires from motor?

The three wires that come from the motor do indeed connect to the matching wires from the esc. The color coding of these wires means nothing. Connect these wires in any order and yor motor will run. If it should run in the wrong direction switch any two of these wires and the motor will run the other direction. The other two leads are for the battery connection. One should be red (+) and one should be black (-). Connect these red to red, black to black to your battery. The remaining connection is to the receiver (throttle channel).
Old 12-12-2009, 09:15 PM
davidbegg

It doesn’t hurt which of the three wires coloured wires from the motor that you connect to the ESC. You can’t distinguish the different wires coming from the ESC as all three are the same colour anyway. If you get the wires connected around the wrong way around all that will happen is that the motor will go backwards. If this happens just unsolder two of the wires and reconnect them in a different order, check again, the motor will almost certainly now be rotating in the correct direction. (With some connectors you can turn one of the plugs, either the male or female over, to achieve the same results.) This is very similar to industrial 3 phase motors, where if the Sparky has the phases connect incorrectly the motor will rotate backwards and he simply has to change two for the wires on the connection to correct the problemI actually did this while replacing a faulty brushless on an indoor flyer this morning.Brushless motors are actually 3 phase AC motors, and what you are doing by changing the order of the wires is altering the order the phases enter the motor. The brushless ESC converts the DC power from your battery into AC power for the brushless motor to operate, and also provides DC at a suitable voltage to operate the Rx , servos and so on. The brushless ESC are actually very clever electronic devices. CheersDavid
Old 12-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Walt Thyng

on rare occasions a particular combination of wires between the motor and the esc will cause the motor to "stutter" or twitch. It's not supposed to happen, but it does. Just try a different combination of wires until the motor runs correctly and in the proper direction.
Walt
Old 12-13-2009, 03:35 PM
DaddySam

Thank you all for your quick and informative replies. We'll try hooking up the motor as soon as I get the proper connectors!
Sam