Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

No Instructor Necessary

Old 12-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Henry111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Instructor Necessary

Your friend' who lives in the desert, a 100 miles from any RC flying field just wrote you saying how much he would love to get into RC flying, but he has read all the warrnings about not attempting to fly RC without an instructor. He wants to know if there is a model that he can just take out and flythe way he used to fly rubber-powered free-flights. After all, he did not need an instructor to fly those. He doesn't care if it does not look like a P-51, he just wants it to fly.
What kit or kits would you recommend to your friend?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: No Instructor Necessary

ORIGINAL: Henry111

Your friend' who lives in the desert, a 100 miles from any RC flying field just wrote you saying how much he would love to get into RC flying, but he has read all the warrnings about not attempting to fly RC without an instructor. He wants to know if there is a model that he can just take out and flythe way he used to fly rubber-powered free-flights. After all, he did not need an instructor to fly those. He doesn't care if it does not look like a P-51, he just wants it to fly.
What kit or kits would you recommend to your friend?
Wingo. SoarStar. Or, maybe a Multiplex EasyStar. Or a similar plane.

If it doesn't survive, invest the next money in a flight simulator.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 12-27-2009, 09:17 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Hobbyzone Super Cub. Easy to fly, tough, cheap and easy to repair.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:59 PM
jooNorway

Multiplex EasyGlider, with brushless motor.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Leo L

Hi Henry,

I responded to your tread on a different site, but I'll write here as well.

Neither an instructor nor a simulator are necessary to learn how to fly. However, both an instructor and a simulator make the learning process easier.

The best plane with which to learn on your own is the HobbyZone SuperCub. Period.

The second best is the multiplex EasyStar.

After that its a mixed bag. Some good planes are the Aerobird3, T-hawk, SloStick, Slow-V.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:23 PM
leadtongue

I just learned to fly this year without an instructor.....i have a blade400 heli that i cannot fly yet,so all i did was practice on a sim both planes and helis. One day i said i cant wait for the whole rigamaroll of going through the joining a club thing and waiting for a trainer...so i just went out one day flew five battery packs with a parkzone t28d trojan. It was fast and it really was maneuverable...but i toned it down and flew it high... rolls loops and a little inverted too! Biggest problem were my nerves! Now after 40 flights the single most beneficial thing one can do is get a sim and spend a little time on it. You may find yourself saying that it flys just like in the sim...there were no big surprises for me and i did not feel overwhelmed by what i was doing or the planes behavior for that matter. A sim? - yes! An instructor?- not always. Safety is paramount no matter what level your skill...any tips or advice you are given should be treated as gold...also these forums are the best source of info anywhere bar none!