Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please advise on a 3d out door electric

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Please advise on a 3d out door electric

Old 01-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Striker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please advise on a 3d out door electric

Hi Guys,

I have been flying gas powered for over 10 years now and the only electric stuff I had was the IFO's 10 years ago. I have no electric RC airplanes though my background is electronics, go figure.

I have a huge field just behind my shop and its perfect for flying some out door electrics. The winter is long here and I would like some stick time.

I would like to know what you guys would recommend for some intermediate 3D out door flying. I prefer something which can handle some slight wind, smallish to fit in the trunk of my BMW coupe without having to be taken apart and fairly durable, no foamies preferably.

Please let me know what you guys find best for something like that, much appreciated.

Thanks Guys.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:08 AM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Please advise on a 3d out door electric

There are many that would suit your needs. Here a re a few of my favorites, all about same size. The Addiction is a ball to fly, edge, Extra, Yak all good. Something tame is the Taylercraft.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Leo L

Although you indicated that you prefered no foamies, I suggest that you seriously consider the ParkZone Typhoon2.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The new breed of Elapor foamies can be very durable, but I'll try to stay on track anyway.

Take a look at the Hyperion Extra, Edge, and Sukhoi models at www.allerc.com

Another thing to consider, especially for Canada, is a good belly lander. I LOVED flying my Multiplex Twinstar II, Easy Star, and Easy Glider Electric. I armor the botton of the fuselage with a layer of packing tape. That TwinStar II would slide about 40 m when landing. No catching landing gear in the snow.

Even if you get a 3D plane, look for one that either has fairings over the aileron servo arms, or has internal linkages for ailerons so that you can belly land in the snow. There's nothing worse than having a great place to fly, but with terrain too rugged to land those tiny wheels on. I fly out of a field with 4" high grass, so I rule out quite a bit of planes that way.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:51 PM
rcgoodtimes
My Feedback: (5)

+1 on the Typhoon2 it is a tough plane .... Also check out my Mini Funtana X in another post here it is a very nice 3D balsa and plywood airplane .
Old 01-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Striker

Thanks so much Ted Leo and Jeremy, you guys are great. Jeremy thanks for the detailed explanation. I will look at what you all advised. The foamies do look like they have come a long way and the Addiction looks awesome too. Just got my Hitec Aurora 9 and cant wait to get a cool airplane to get some stick time.

Thanks Guys.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Striker

ORIGINAL: rcgoodtimes

+1 on the Typhoon2 it is a tough plane .... Also check out my Mini Funtana X in another post here it is a very nice 3D balsa and plywood airplane .
I would look at the Mini Funtana, I like the 90 size Funtana, I am sure the Mini Funatana would be just as fun. Gees you guys make me feel like getting all the airplanes now, so many great choices now.

Thanks rcgoodtimes.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:59 PM
rcgoodtimes
My Feedback: (5)

You would not be dissapointed with the mini Funtana X . It rocks , so does the 90 and the 100 X ... I haven't run any numbers yet on my set up but I did get 12 minuete flight times and still going . For $120.00 I think its is a good buy for a plane this size ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40781.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	1356198  
Old 01-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a good looking plane, and quite a handsome pilot too. Nice job.