Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Motor Twitches Forward and reverse

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Motor Twitches Forward and reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 08:02 PM
allans
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Twitches Forward and reverse

I have an e flte 370 motor with Castle 10 amp ESC. I had it on an airplane and it ran perfectly for about 1 year.
The old plane has gone on to its reward and the motor esc combo has been installed on a new plane .

All of the wires left connected during the transfer ( The three from the esc to the motor.). The Rx is the same ( a specktrum 6100).

The RX binds successfully , all the control servos work , just as before.

When I advance the throttle the motor simply twitches back and forth and when the throttle reaches full power the twitching stops altogether.

Anybody have any idea that can explain and remedy this behavior?

Is a complete replacement fo both motor and esc required?

I have tried changing the connection order of the three wires from the esc to the motor - this makes no difference.

Thank you for the help .
Old 01-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Motor Twitches Forward and reverse

Since you put everything back together exactly as before and since you imply a crash, your problem has to be a bad connection. This is most likely in the motor wires, but could be anywhere in the system. Disassemble everything and tug on wires and any part that can be wiggled. Using a magnifying glass can be very helpful.
Walt
Old 01-24-2010, 10:43 AM
inedesca

Oh yes, this has happened to me. The motor hesitates, but if you give full throttle it stops, though sometimes it starts good.

I changed the ESC for a new one of the same model and this corrected the problem.

I suppose the ESC is deffective
Old 01-24-2010, 10:49 AM
allans
My Feedback: (11)

Thank you for the response.

I am assuming the connections you are referring to are the ones in the wires between the esc and the motor. They are soldered bullit connections on each wire. I have shaken each , but i really cannot determine if they are solid or not .

There are 6 solderedconnections between the the motor and the esc.

Is there another way to check the viablilty of each ?

If I open each up and resolder each one how will I know that the joint is good and that I have not created another bad one?

Allan

Old 01-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Good solder joints have a shiny appearance. The damage may be in side the motor. One of the winding leads may be loose; a magnet could be also. You can check the continuity of the esc to motor leads with a VOM. Magnets can be epoxied back (be sure of the orientation).

Finding something like this takes time and patience - or else you throw money at it and buy new equipment (-:
Walt