Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Motor fried up

Old 01-25-2010, 06:16 PM
bryris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor fried up

For some reason, my stock SIG EP-42 brushed speed 400 motor started to smoke and eventually seized up while I was running a bench test of the battery. It ran about six minutes at 3/4 throttle or so before I started to smell the smoke and shut it down. I was using the stock 30amp speed controller and a 2000mah 8.4v NiMH battery.

So, I guess the brushless conversion is going to come faster than I'd planned. I am looking for a quality motor that will fit under the cowling. Are there any that are direct fits? IOW, that I can just mount up to the existing heat sink and existing mounting holes? I'd like to have plenty of power so that I can use the motor in other airplanes down the road. This EP-42 is an eyesore thats already pretty rough. Its in flyable condition, but anything I buy for it will likely be switched to something else down the road.

I am completely new to electrics - so I'll need a good esc recommendation too.

Any ideas what happened with the old motor?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:02 PM
con244

Default RE: Motor fried up

Hi
I am fairly new too, but Iseem to recall someoneposting that you shouldn'trun your motor on the bench unloaded. I think the result of doing this is exactly what happened to yours. I could be wrong, could anyone else confirm this?
Con244
Old 01-25-2010, 07:14 PM
bryris

It had a prop on the front, so was loaded. It was pulling pretty good, had to anchor it down with stuff.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Prop too big?
Old 01-25-2010, 11:08 PM
bryris

It what it came with - all the stuff was included in the ARF box.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Bryan,

What you did was cook the motor. Electric motors should only be run static for long enough to get a meter reading. What happens is the motor is getting little to no cooling airflow sitting still. Yeah I know you had a prop on it, but the center of a prop is where the least amount of airflow is produced, right where the motor sits.

Ditto the esc, you can burn them up without airflow, and you could in the right conditions even damage a pack that way.

I see you are a member of Imperial, me too.

Looks like we get a no fly today with the Pres in town.

If you need help, PM me and we can hook up. I can give you my cell or meet you at the field.

Brad

Hmmm, I just looked up your bird. According to the review they come with brushless motors, is yours an older version?
If you can post up the spec of the motor you have it will be easy enough to get you hooked up with a good brushless set up, and maybe even talk you into a lipo system.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Glacier Girl

Here you go.
Motor http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._1000kv_/_180W

ESC http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...eed_Controller

Pack http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...00mAh_3S1P_15C

9x6 APCe
11.36v
13.8A
157W
8580rpm
25 oz thrust

If you don't want to remove the stock mount, it's easy enough to convert it to an outrunner one, here's how I did my P-38.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27188.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1366373  
Old 01-28-2010, 10:45 AM
bryris

Glacier,

I used to be a member of imperial, but its been a while since I've been out there. Actually, I am currently flying on a private piece of land owned by a friend who is also into RC. He doesn't have a paved strip, but the lot is large and remote and allows us to do whatever we want without bothering anyone. He's been working as an instructor to me too as I've just come back from a several year break. I am going to rejoin with imperial at some point, I am sure.

I got a recommendation from Lipopilot (at wattflyer) to go with this:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
and
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...R-UP20A/Detail

I picked up a 3 cell 1500mah LIPO and some 8x6 props. It probably won't be too over powered, but should outperform the old stuff with no issue.

I bought this thing a long time ago before the brushless version came out.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Glacier Girl

Ah yes, we call the 2822 the famous $6.00 motor. Great little motor. Check shipping from the site you were given and Hobby King's, as stated the motor is $6.00(actually $5.95) from HK. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5354
Old 01-28-2010, 06:40 PM
bryris

After crunching the numbers, my order would have been cheaper through HK than through heads up RC. Oh well. In fact, I could have gotten an extra Lipo battery for the same price as I paid for just one along with the other stuff.

It seems that that motor would be a bit too small for a SIG EP-42. I don't doubt it'll fly ok, but most people seem to use it for foamies. The EP-42 is a built up balsa airplane with a 42" wingspan.