Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Best 4ch Beginner Plane

Old 01-25-2010, 09:16 PM
locksmack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 4ch Beginner Plane

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a good beginner plane that is 4ch. Icurrently have a 4ch Cessna 182 but it is a bit shoddy (seems flimsy, not the greatest electronics). I can fly the thing, but am still a noob pilot.

I have a DX6i (from my heli) so would ideally like a BNF plane. The plane Iam looking at currently is the Parkzone T-28DTrojan. Any opinions on this? And other recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Best 4ch Beginner Plane

Trojans are not beginner planes.

When you say the Cessna seems shoddy, what makes you say that? Is it breaking too easily when you drill it into the ground?

IMO, the best beginner planes are 3 ch., and the best of those is the Multiplex Easy Star. (pusher motor won't be damaged in crashes) If you can fly the Cessna without crashing, on the other hand, maybe you're ready for a Trojan?

Now, to answer the original question, I think the best 4 channel beginner plane is the Multiplex Easy Glider Pro.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:20 PM
locksmack

Thanks for the reply mate.

I say the Cessna is shoddy because the foam is very brittle - and I'm not talking about when I slam it into the ground:P It just doesnt feel very ridged in the air and gets knocked around a lot. The electronics are cheap and nasty too. It has filled its purpose in helping me learn the basics of flight, but I would now like something a bit more stable and upmarket.

Why do you say the best beginner planes are 3ch? I figured that if I wanted to fly 4ch+ in the future then I may aswell learn the controls now. I am pretty confident flying in 4ch.

I will check out the Easy Glider Pro, thanks!
Old 02-14-2010, 09:05 PM
mrfourtysevenman
My Feedback: (2)

watch out for:
planes with the wing shaped at a "V" angle too much.
overpriced RTF planes.
wood propellers. they are for sport planes.

look for:
gms and Tower hobbies engines. they are great and a .25-.70 will be under 100 dollars.
o.s. engines. they are good and the BASIC MUST HAVE. they are a little more expensive but i should know %100 that it is not gonna break.
APC propellers. (11x6 is the best prop for a .46 engine) they are the grey ones. they give more torque and makes the engine run faster, more fuel efficient and you will need less needle valve adjustment.
master airscrew. not as good as APC but still gets the job done.
flat wings just bearly pitched at a "V"
Futaba s3003 servos. they are the cheapest servo you can find. they are strong, dont break, and ONLY 16 bucks. (torque is 56.9 oz-in)

dont get the nexstar RTF. the AFS system sucks and it will confuse your plane into crashing.
the arf kinda sucked too.
get the AVISTAR! or the superstar. they are better and you can learn on and grow into them.
the U Can Do (any size) is great for learning how to land. its airfoil design gives it the ability to land/fly at super slow speeds. it is a stunt plane but actually easy to fly. EVERYBODY who has ever flown one just goes crazy over them. allso, look for a plane with a wing that is long and fat.
the U Can Do's wing is 1/2 as wide as it is long and thats why it's so easy to fly. the Tower Trainer ARF by towerhobbies IS ONLY 70 FKING DOLLARS ITS A GOOD TRAINER AND A GREAT DEAL
play around in realflight simulator. i had to pirate my copy to use my transmitter on it and let me say that it does not capture the slight turbulence you get in real life but you WILL use things you learned in the simulator on real life. aerofly simulator is EXTREMELY realistic. you can adjust the turbulence amount and if you go too slow, you will stall. just like in real life. look on creigslist for great deals from people looking to get rid of their planes for cheap. one more note.
the U Can Do requires 6 servos, 2 "Y" connectors and 3 extention servo cords.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:22 PM
liquid1

ORIGINAL: locksmack

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a good beginner plane that is 4ch. I currently have a 4ch Cessna 182 but it is a bit shoddy (seems flimsy, not the greatest electronics). I can fly the thing, but am still a noob pilot.

I have a DX6i (from my heli) so would ideally like a BNF plane. The plane I am looking at currently is the Parkzone T-28D Trojan. Any opinions on this? And other recommendations?

Thanks!
I just recieved the E-Flite apprentice 15XE..Its a nice 4 channel trainer 55" wing spand and will do rolls and huge flips you can get it in BNF Since you have the DX6i Which I will have soon..And will be getting this beauty sweet 3D plane ..my wife is getting me the Dx6i with a 6110 reciever for my birthday..That way I can get a Spare Batt and get the cheaper PNP planes..Wahoooo..I'm a beginner and it will be a while But hey never hurts to dream..
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...975#quickSpecs
Old 03-20-2010, 05:00 PM
davin_breeze

I will attest to the E-Flite apprentice also , well built very easy to fly and land . I added some larger foam wheels so it has no prop clearance problems on grass ! Very powerful motor, I used the 3200mah battery that came with the RTF and added a flyermate 3300 mah for a spare, and it will fly for 15-20 min if you throttle it right.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:59 AM
av8djc
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Z

Trojans are not beginner planes.

(clip) If you can fly the Cessna without crashing, on the other hand, maybe you're ready for a Trojan?

Now, to answer the original question, I think the best 4 channel beginner plane is the Multiplex Easy Glider Pro.
I think the op could probably handle the T28. It is a great flying airplane and will land slow. I have an EZ Glider Pro I built for soaring. It is in some ways more difficult to fly than the Trojan and definitely takes a larger area. If I were to be helping him learn I'd recommend the Trojan unless he has an interest in motorgliding.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Earthling1984

I'd say get the P-51D BL.  Is a great plane.  Is 3CH... but is aileron plane(throttle, aileron, elevator) and you can add a rudder very easily, comes with all hardware, all you need is a servo.

The P-51D BL is about $60 less expensive than the trojan, but it flies straight as an arrow, and controls with ease!  I first flew helicopters, then I got the ember2 plane, along with the sukhoi, then I flew the P-51D BL.  So it was about my 3rd plane, and my first large plane(others were micros).  I haven't crashed it once in over 30 flights.  It is probably still my favorite plane to fly(I have about 10 more planes now ;p)
Old 04-12-2010, 09:50 PM
deadstick8409
My Feedback: (2)

Realflight.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:58 AM
fmw

I learned on the E-Flite Apprentice. It isn't perfect (plastic motor and small wheels) but it is about as good as trainers get. It has very stable characteristics such as wings that stall benevolently, enough dihedral to make it tend to self right and enough power to get out of trouble. My instructor considers it the best trainer he has ever used and he has used most of them over the years. I went from consistent crashing to solo with about 20 hours on the sim and a couple of hours at most on the Apprentice. Mine now has a better motor and larger wheels for our grass field and Ilove to fly it. I took it out a couple days ago to see how she would handle the wind. 15mph with gusts up to 25. She was a handful and behaved very well for the conditions. It does aerobaticsas well as anyhigh wing dihedraled plane I've seenand is plenty powerful for sport flying.

I also have a T28. I think it would be a super trainer if you have an instructor and a buddy box. It isn't really a trainer even though the full scale ship is. But the full scale ship trained fighter pilots after all. It has all the characteristics of a sport plane. It is also a joy to fly but I think choosing it for use without an instructor and buddy box would have you digging holes in the ground with the propeller.

Deadstick's comment is on the mark. A simulator will give you lots of stick time and stick time is what you need to learn. I used Real Flight myself to learn and still use it to practice aerobatics.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:48 PM
BadDogSG

The HobbyZone Super Cub is an excellent trainer. It's only a 3-channel plane, but it has the "anti-crash technology" that will save youfrom crashing. You can switch it off after you're comfortable and do some minor air tricks. The planeallows you to getflight time under your belt and practice your landings. It's available in a BNF, so you can use your DX6i radio.

I logged a bunch of hours on my Super Cub and now I'm ready to take my T-28 Trojan up. Wish me luck!!!