Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Servos jitter when using CC bec

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Servos jitter when using CC bec

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:12 PM
CYCLONEMAN55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos jitter when using CC bec

Decided to try and use a CC bec so my servos were running on 6 volts. Wired up the bec as per instructions and removed the red wire from the Hobbywing 60 amp ESC. When I power up the esc with my 4s lipo the servos jump all over the place. If I remove the esc wire from the reciever they get better but not good. If I use a seperate 6v power supply to power up the reciever everything is ok. I even put a ferrite ring on the bec lead to eliminate any possible noise. Now I am just stumped. Any ideas?
Lee Mitchell
Old 02-01-2010, 07:42 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Servos jitter when using CC bec

lee,

have you checked to make sure the BEC is set to 6 volts ? i have been looking at these for a couple of my planes and research show they can supply up to 9 volts to rx/servos.

it says they are set at 5.1 volts for default but can be set from 4.8 to 9 volts see below.

SPECS: Length: 1.2" (30mm)
Width: .6" (15mm)
Height: .4" (10mm)
Weight: .4oz (11g)
Input voltage: 5V to 25.2V (2S to 6S LiPo)
Current output: 12 volts input = 7 amps* continuous, 10 amp peak;
24 volts input = 5 amps* continuous, 7 amp peak
*Ratings are determined with a 5mph airflow on the BEC
Selectable Output: 4.8 - 9.0V via the Castle Link (sold separately)
Default voltage is 5.1V

so is it possable it may be set to high as most servos dont like voltage higher than the 6 or so volts ? just something to check.

bass
Old 02-01-2010, 09:53 PM
CYCLONEMAN55

I have the voltage set to 6.2 volts. I also tried using a seperate reciever pack which had 4 AA cells in it for 6.1 volts. Everything was fine with it.
Lee Mitchell
Old 02-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Lee,
I'd say give Castle a call.

Any chance the bec wiring is up against a servo lead or the rx antenna, and maybe giving you some interference? There is a note on Castles siteabout keeping the bec as far away as possible from the rx.

Also by any chance are you running a Spektrum rx? There's also a fix as the CC bec has had problems with them. It's right on Castle's site.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:34 AM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way too much voltage with a 4S Li Po.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:06 PM
pilotpete2

Hi Lee,
If that 4 cell pack is Nicd or Nimh, no way you have 6.1V output, absolute max would be 5.8V and that would drop off as soon as any load was applied. What servos are you using, are they rated for 6V (5 cell) operation. I would first try setting the CC bec to the normal 5.1V or just a little higher to see if the servos calm down.
Good luck,
Pete
Old 02-02-2010, 04:49 PM
CYCLONEMAN55

I have tried plugging a 4 cell AA batrtery rx pack into the reciever not using the speed control to power up the reciever and everthing is just fine. Only when I power up the plane with my 4s lipo and power up the rx thru the bec do the servos jitter. If I unplug the speed control from the Rx they settle down some but not completly. I am going to go back and rerout my antenna wire and get it away from the BEC hoping that helps.
Lee Mitchell