Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tx and Rx compatability for a newbie

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Tx and Rx compatability for a newbie

Old 03-05-2010, 10:29 AM
echolmberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tx and Rx compatability for a newbie

Hi guys!

I'm going to ask a question here that I'm sure is a no brainer for you guys but, for me, I'm just getting into this and I need your help! So here 'goes....

I have a Hitec Neon 3 channel transmitter and I need to get a new receiver for my Alfa Model F4U-1 Corsair. Can I use the Hitec 555 receiver? Will everything be okay in terms of compatability so long as I the Tx and Rx crystals match? I guess it's kind of an overall general question. Will any brand of receiver work with any brand of transmitter as long as the crystals match?

Thank you!!

Eric
Old 03-05-2010, 10:26 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tx and Rx compatability for a newbie

The answer is no for differing tx/rx brands. Since you have Hitec and are considering a Hitec Rx they will probably work. I have no knowledge about that Tx you mention but will offer this advice. Don't waste your money on anything for a 3 ch tx. Anything less then 6 ch's are a waste in my book. That's your decision but with present day 2.4 radios the older sets are selling very cheap on E-Bay.Keep in mind you radio is the most important equipment you will buy so don't skimp there.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:30 PM
dirdredd
My Feedback: (6)

i need to know if someone knows where or how can i purchase a CD for my Exceed 6Ch Digital Transmitter
Old 03-06-2010, 05:51 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure.

I would go to www.bphobbies.com & send them the same question. they sell Hitec. Some Hitecs use full sized crystals ,others use a mini crystal.
I only use Hitec & I do not Know. 555 is a old design ?
Old 03-06-2010, 09:27 PM
jdetray

Wow, cyclops, you're making me feel old when you speak of the 555 as an "old design!" I have Micro 555 receiver sitting just a few feet away as I am typing this. But then, I am an old design myself.

Eric, Hitec made four different models of the Micro 555 receiver. The one you want is the Model #28572. That will be compatible with your Neon TX. And of course you need the correct crystal for the channel you are using.

For older 72 MHz equipment like you and I are using, there are two types of transmitters: negative shift and positive shift. Among the more popular brands of 72 MHz equipment, Hitec and Futaba transmitters use negative shift, while JR and Airtronics transmitters use positive shift. In theory, all negative shift transmitters and receivers should be compatible, and all positive shift transmitters and receivers should be compatible.

Hitec made both negative and positive shift versions of the Micro 555 receiver, so be sure you're getting a negative shift version of the 555. More modern 72 MHz receivers are usually "auto-shift." They automatically detect the shift of the TX and operate accordingly. However, the Micro 555 is not auto-shift, so be sure you get the negative shift version. By the way, crystals are compatible with either shift.

I don't think there is a thing wrong with 3-channel equipment if that's all you need. I have three 3-channel planes, and I fly them all with a 3-channel TX. Don't let anyone make you feel bad because you are using a 3-channel TX.

- Jeff
Old 03-06-2010, 09:34 PM
cyclops2

I fly everything with 3 channels. 28" to 80".

A Plane is a plane.

Lot less FM out there now.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:16 AM
echolmberg

Thank you Jeff and Cyclops2!!

People always make me feel like I have to apologize for liking my three-channel planes. I swear, I think you especially, Jeff, have been the first person to ever tell me that flying 3-channel stuff is okay. Ha-ha-ha! I haven't flown for about three years due to having two little babies running around the house but, now that they've gotten older and I have a little more free time, I really want to get back in the air.

Thank you very much to all who gave me the great info! Jeff, I think I'm going to print our your post so I can have it with me when I do my shopping. After having been out of the flying for the past three years, I have been utterly overwhelmed by the advances in electric flight. My NiCads, I've learned, are pretty much junk. My biggest shock came when I found out that crystals are the "old" way of doing things. So basically it feels like I'm having to learn things all over again from scratch.

Thanks to all, again, for the great feedback!

Eric
Old 03-08-2010, 11:24 AM
jdetray

Hi Eric -

All of my gear is 72 MHz stuff. I have two transmitters, a cheap 3-channel and a cheap 4-channel. My planes are all either 3- or 4-channel.

Now a word of caution. The 2.4 GHz spread spectrum systems are the wave of the future. In many ways, they are the wave of the present!

Already, some clubs and major flying events no longer even allow 72 MHz equipment to be used. You and I may eventually be required to upgrade to 2.4 GHz if we want to continue flying. The advantages of the new technology are many, so this is not necessarily a bad thing!

It's something to keep in mind.

- Jeff
Old 03-08-2010, 03:11 PM
davek

I haven't bought into the 2.4 Gig stuff yet. I have too much 72 mhz. stuff to convert everything over. The 72 mhz. receivers are getting really inexpensive. I can buy micro receivers for three planes for what it cost for one Spektrum or Futaba 2.4 gig receiver. I will eventually switch to 2.4, but I am enjoying the savings now. When I do make the switch, I will probably just buy the Spektrum module to convert my Futaba 8U Super to 2.4 gig. I love that radio and don't want to give it up.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:12 PM
cyclops2

The more people that go giga....The less fruit cakes there are on old stuff...........MOOOO HA HA..
Old 03-09-2010, 01:50 PM
echolmberg

You guys are right. I can see that new stuff is definitely the wave of the future and the present. I've just ordered the components I need to get my 3-channel Corsair off the ground. Should be in by next week. yaaaay! But, after seeing and fondling the PZ Corsair and T-28 at my local hobby shop yesterday after work, I've come to the determination that...ME WANT!

So my plan is this: Fly my Alfa Models Corsair this year and then for Christmas or for next spring I'll go for the larger PZ Corsair where you get all the new techno stuff included in the RTF package.

But God help me, I do so love my 3-channel Hitec Neon transmitter. For those of you who know your South Park characters, when I'm holding my Neon 3-channel transmitter, it makes me want to break out in song like the way Chef does when he's singing about a beautiful woman.

My best to everybody,

Eric

PS. On a side note, why is it that some clubs won't let a person fly with the old systems? Will they cause interference or something???
Old 03-09-2010, 03:36 PM
jdetray

Hi Eric -

One of the problems with 72 MHz R/C equipment is that you have to be sure no one else is on the same channel at the same time you are. If two pilots at the same field are on the same channel at the same time, it's likely that one or both will lose control of their aircraft. I have personally seen a $5,000 plane crash due to this problem.

At club fields, where there may be 4 or 5 planes in the air at once, such interference is a major concern. Different clubs use various systems to prevent two pilots from being on the same channel, but in the end it comes down to each pilot taking responsibility.

With the 2.4 GHz systems, these worries are a thing of the past. Each plane equipped with 2.4 GHz gear will respond to one and only one transmitter. If everyone at a field is on 2.4 GHz, there is no need to check with each other or use any sort of system to prevent interference. For this reason, some of the larger R/C flying events are now 2.4 GHz only, and some clubs are follwing suit.

If you have never flown at a large event with dozens or hunderds of pilots, you have probably never seen a "transmitter impound." That's where all pilots with 72 MHz transmitters must hand over their transmitters to the organizers of the event. Your transmitter is kept in a secure area (the impound) until you wish to fly. When a pilot wants to fly, he must come to the impound and sign out his transmitter. Only one transmitter on a particular channel is allowed out of the impound at any given time. This is purely to prevent more than one transmitter on a channel from being activated at the same time.

When our club hosts big events, we once had to assign 3 or 4 club members to handle the transmitter impound all weekend. With more and more pilots switching to 2.4 GHz, the transmitter impound is a pretty empty place these days.

- Jeff

P.S. Are we having Salisbury steak for lunch?
Old 03-09-2010, 03:59 PM
davek

That is the great thing about it. As more people make the switch to 2.4 the less likely anyone on 72mhz. will have any interference. I can't wait for the day that everyone else in my club has changed to 2.4 but me. I wil still be flying my 8U Super. We have a pretty small club (about 14 members) and we are pretty good about using the frequency board so not much of a problem anyway.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:40 PM
echolmberg

I've always heard stories about the tragedies which happen when two people are on the same frequency. I just figured when a club gets together, if only a small minority are on the older 72 MHz system, then there would be less of a chance of this problem happening (assuming that standard precautions are taken). In the extreme case, if all but two members are using the newer system, then those two people can still fly their "older" systems so long as they're not on the same frequency. It would be too bad if they weren't allowed to fly even though they wouldn't be causing any interference.

Mmmmm....Salisbury steak! Yet another item near and dear to my heart. Tonight my wife said we're having brats for dinner. I sure do love that woman!