Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help trying to get back into RC planes - Parkzone any good?

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Help trying to get back into RC planes - Parkzone any good?

Old 05-16-2010, 10:03 AM
300bhp/ton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help trying to get back into RC planes - Parkzone any good?

Hi guys,

I used to fly (although not so well) many years ago. Think it was about 15 iirc. Anyhow, interested in getting back into it, but don't really know where to start.

As all my remaining gear is well out of date (was 2nd hand when I got it) I'm looking at getting an RTF to get started again.

I've had a look and a lot of places in the UK (as that's were I live.. ) seem to sell Parkzone kits. What are they like, their website seems a bit pony (http://www.parkzone.com/Default.aspx) as it only seems to list a couple of models and only micros.

I assume flying micro's outside is probably a no unless it's really calm.

So would something like this be an ok kit to get back to flying?

http://www.squadronleader.co.uk/product/P-51D_Mustang_BL_(RTF)_PKZ1800

ParkZone P-51D Mustang BL (RTF)

I'd be flying outside in a field.

As I said I have flown before, but it was a long time ago. I guess a 3 channel Cub might be a better bet, but I want something that I can grow with so would prefer something with ailerons from the off.

Or anyone else able to recommend anything else that would be more appropriate? Budget wise I'm looking on the cheaper end of the scale.

Thanks,

Matt.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Help trying to get back into RC planes - Parkzone any good?

Parkzone stuff is okay. Usually a bit underpowered for more experienced fliers, but decent flying planes. However, you're right you would be better off to start with a high winger rather than the 'Stang.
Walt
Old 05-16-2010, 01:34 PM
300bhp/ton

thanks.

Do you know of any overwing electric kits with ailerons that might suit? Cheers
Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Based on your inquiry about Parkzone I assumed Horizon was a supplier for your shop. I didn't find any four channel high wing planes, but I did notice the Stryker. While it's not a high wing, I am quite familiar with it. It is a good flyer as delivered; fairly easy to fly and very tough. The good thing is that there is a ton of info available on how to "hop it up" once you are ready for more performance.

I also noticed the Alpha, the apprentice and the MiniStick from E-flite. They all can be got "Plug'n'Play". They're all good fliers with potential for increased performance when you're ready.

Hope this helps get you back into our great hobby/sport.

Oh, yes; don't know a lot about frequency in the UK, but if 2.4 spread spectrum or something similar is available I'd go with it even if there's a cost penalty. It's the wave of the future (actually right now!). Over here many events no longer allow 72 mz type technology.
Walt
Old 05-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Leo L

Hi Matt,

Welcome back to R/C flying.

ParkZone is a terrific manufacturer. They make some of the best foam planes that you can buy and their customer supprot is the best in the industry. Instead of going to the ParkZone website, go to the web site of their parent company Horizon Hobby: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Default.aspx

Although they sell producs from a number of manufacturers, their own brands are: HobbyZone; ParkZone and E-flite. Traditionally, HobbyZone planes were intended for beginner flyers; ParkZone for intermediate and E-flite for advanced. However, over the years the dividing liines disappeared and ParkZone has advanced level panes and E-flite has some beginner/intermediate level planes.

I would suggest that you take a look at the ParkZone T-28 Trojan. Although its a low wing plane, it is extrememly stable and is almost as easy to fly as a high wing trainer, but has much better performance capabilities. Its generally considered to be the best "second" plane, for teaching someone how to fly with ailerons. The ParkZone Corsair is as stable in the air as the Trojan, but is significantly harder to take off and land; but if you plan to handlaunch and bellyflop you might consider it as well. If you want to get a high wing plane, consider the Minimag from Multiplex or the Apprentice from E-flite. There are huge posts related to all of these planes here on RCUniverse, and also on Wattflyer.com and RCGroups.com. Do a search and get other people's reactions.

Let us know what you decide to get and your progress in returning to this hobby.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:27 PM
davek

The Parkzone T28 is not a trainer, but it is not a high skill level plane and is much easier to fly than the Mustang. If you have previous experience flying, it might be something that you could handle. It has warbird looks but it is not a handful to fly.

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4400
Old 05-24-2010, 08:06 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

If you flew relatively fast planes when you previously flew rc then I recommend either the super cub or the mustang over the other parkzone planes. The cub flies quite well despite having only 3 channels (no ailerons). On the other hand the mustang is very easy to hand launch - as long as you launch it at full throttle it flies with only a modest launch. None of the other parkzone planes will do that out of the box - I have flown them all, except for the under 30 inchers.

The mustang is easy to fly - although you might want some help trimming it in if you get one that is out of trim. mine was an rtf and was really close to trimmed to begin with. I thought it was a pretty easy first flight for a hand launched plane. To me the mustang is easily the best flying of the parkzone planes.

I have also flown the Stryker as it comes from the factory. This plane flies a good bit faster than the mustang and takes a pretty strong hand launch. Plus with the prop i the rear you need to be careful of the prop when launching this plane. the stryker flies as fast as many 60 size planes and handles a lot like a 60 size mustang at full speed. I consider it a plane to move into after you have flown the mustang.

Good Luck

Ed
Old 05-25-2010, 08:03 AM
fmw

ORIGINAL: davek

The Parkzone T28 is not a trainer, but it is not a high skill level plane and is much easier to fly than the Mustang. If you have previous experience flying, it might be something that you could handle. It has warbird looks but it is not a handful to fly.

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4400
Yes. Because the real T-28 was a trainer doesn't mean the RC model is a trainer. But it is a pretty good aerobatics trainer. It has enough wing dihedral that it has some self correcting properties and that makes it easier to fly than some purely aerobaticmodels. It is a terrific product. I really enjoy mine.

Can't help it. Gotta include an image.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:01 PM
GuitarPlayer

A lot of good stuff out there. There's some bad stuff too. Stay away from  "nitroplanes "and "xheli".  There birds are of good quality but the staff is terrible.  If you need to exchange or replace something, if you feel an item is not up their or the manufacurer's spes, you'll have a big problem!!!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:02 PM
minisupercub

I got a Hobbyzone mini Supercub it is a great trainer one reason is it is so tuff
Old 06-09-2010, 10:21 AM
milehighjc

A few thoughts for you...

I started with a HZ super cub (3 weeks ago). After a couple of hard crashes, I've become pretty comfortable. In your case, since you flew before, you may become bored with it farily quickly,

I'll probably take on a t28 as my second plane, as Im longing for something a little more aerobatic (read that with ailerons). It may be a great choice for you to get back in.

Having said that... if you are at all concerned about relearning, and are sensitive to crashes/fixes, the super cub may still be a good choice. Its easy to learn on because it is so stable, and you can stay interested with upgrades. Im very interested in the sonic combat module (since I found another SC flyer here locally), the floats, and the drop module. I dont think Ill ever stop flying the SC, its a nice relaxing plane to fly. I also may buy a second wing, clip off the wingtips, and cut in some ailerons, but that will require a new radio (I have the RTF version).

Whatever you do, enjoy your return!

>>>>EDIT<<<<<

Just noticed in another thread :http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9782715/tm.htmthat the P51 is a three channel plane, and the missing control is rudder. Just my opinion, that makes it a limitied aerobatic bird - and I would therefore either go for something truly 4 channel (T28?) or go with a simpler 3 channel (Super Cub).

just my 2 cents (or pence as the case might be)

jc
Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 PM
fireman350

I don't know what you used to fly but I am very familiar with where you are right now I used to fly 1/4 scale warbirds and then I hung it up for 10 years due to marrige and children about 3 years ago I bought a parkzone mustang it is a great plane but on my maiden flight with it alone thinking it would all come right back to me I found my knees to be knocking hands shaking and almost in a panic and absolutely lost on the sticks after about 10 minutes I managed to land it under power breaking the prop in the process but saving the rest of the plane I went home from the field and bought a Hobbyzone supercub the old red and white model and after about a month with it i was ready to go back to the mustang but as i sit here today at work (hobby shop) I brought in a plane to fly to kill some time this afternoon out of all the great birds i have now from the p-51 to the pitts the flyzone cessna 182 and the f-86 the cub is the one I still fly more often then not to kill time relax and have fun with . With the throws set to full on the horns it is quite alot of fun to fly and on days with winds 5 to 10 mph with a little skill it is a blast to hover into a landing or fly even in reverse lol and now with the new lipo model out there you can always pop a set of floats on it when every your ready to try something new with it and by the way the thing is tough its had a few rough landings in the 3 years I've had it and it bounced of 1 mail box post it struck about 5 inches out on the left wing on a windy approach and took no damage other than a broken rubber band and was airborn again just as fast as i could swap the battery anyway thats been my experience
Cheers!
Old 07-04-2010, 05:52 PM
hennigm4

Go with the t-28, good all around plane with no bad habits.  you can use dual rates and have a decent performer with 10 min flight times, plus parts are cheap.  This is the plane that got me back into it after a 10 year vacation.... Electrics have come a long way, now in oneyear I have the eflite PT17, the Matt Chapman Cap 580, Great planes DR1, Great planes Yak 54, and looking at the new military cub from great planes.  But you cant beat foam for durability.

Good luck.

Mike