Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Hyperion Motor Box rebuild?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyperion Motor Box rebuild?

My Sukhoi 25E took a nose dive from 10' because I forgot to lock-in the right wing panel. DAH!,

Well the plane survived pretty well and cowl did too!. The motor box and firewall got smashed pretty good. I went looking for Hyperion parts and got nowhere. Id like to buy a replacement box but I would also try to re-build it if someone out there can provide a diagram or pictures of what this looks like. The parts I need to rebuild begin at the firewall & forward. Thanks for any help cause I really love this plane!!

BTW: The cowl survived because I had cut off the bottom of a plastic cola bottle and glassed it into the opening ( great fit) then I drilled some large vent holes into that hard plastic. Worked pretty good if i do say so!!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Hauling-A
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Hyperion Motor Box rebuild?

Mikel-t, Here's some photo's of the motor box on my Hyperion Sukhoi 31 25e. I hope they can be of some help to you.
J
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79260.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1476621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20186.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1476622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46209.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1476623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58854.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1476624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kw18160.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1476625  
Old 08-03-2010, 07:23 AM
Mikel-t

Haulin-A, Man those Pic's are great!.Exactly what I needed and the parts diagram spot-on.My repair will be exactly what your showing! I had to re-do the fuse stringers as well so thanks much!. I see your using J-B weld compound as well.

Hope to get her flyin again this weekend.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Hauling-A

Mikel-t

Good luck with the re-build. Glad that my photo's were of some help to you.

J
Old 08-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Mikel-t

Yep-r the pic's did the trick. Thanks again.

BTW: Do you happen to know or want to guess at the Down-thrust angle..2* and Right-Thrust...@ 3*? The way Ive got it now it's like 5* right thrust and 3* down....but I'll have to fly it to see what she'll do , then shim the washers on the motor.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Hauling-A

I would guess that it has 2 to 3 degrees of right thrust and maybe 1 degree of down thrust. That would probably be a good place to start and then adjust according to the prop you are using.

J
Old 08-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Mikel-t

OK. Sounds good to me. Then shim if plane flies toward ground while inverted?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Hauling-A

Mikel-t said " OK. Sounds good to me. Then shim if plane flies toward ground while inverted? "

If it was mine, I'd go ahead and fly it with the thrust settings that you have in it and then adjust accordingly.

Usually a mid wing airplane won't require a lot of down thrust, But your first clue that you don't have enough would be the fact that the plane ground loops on take-off, without using any up elevator. lol

I looked at my motor box on the SU-31 and it doesn't seem to have very much down thrust. It has 2 or 3 deg of right thrust and that can either increase or decrease according to the individual airplane set-up and prop.

I didn't have to change any of the stock motor thrust settings on mine. Your results and mileage may differ.

J
Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Mikel-t

Whats your favorite manuever with your Sukhoi? Mine rolls like a top!. I blocked-up the nose with the bottom of a coke bottle, drilled some vent holes and she tears around the sky!!! Or used to...cant wait to get'r in the sky!.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Hauling-A

ORIGINAL: Mikel-t

Whats your favorite manuever with your Sukhoi? Mine rolls like a top!. I blocked-up the nose with the bottom of a coke bottle, drilled some vent holes and she tears around the sky!!! Or used to...cant wait to get'r in the sky!.

Well, I like doing any of the vertical manuevers, stall turns, humpty bumps, top hats, figure m, etc, etc... since I have enough power in it to have almost unlimited verticals. It does most manuevers ok, but the verticals are what I enjoy the most with it.

Are you close to getting your Sukhoi-31 back in the air? Be sure and let us know how the old girl flys when you do.

J