Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

splicing a 10 gage wire down to a 12 gage

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

splicing a 10 gage wire down to a 12 gage

Old 08-12-2010, 08:39 AM
bob418
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default splicing a 10 gage wire down to a 12 gage

I picked up some Turnigy lipos and they come with 10g wire on them, my ESC and most of my battery have 12g wire on them and I use ES3 connectors. My question is what is the best way to get my 10g wire down to 12g (since the ES3's can only handle 12g, and I am not worried about overheating the 12g wire).<o></o>

<o></o>

The way I look at it I have 2 options to do this,<o></o>

<o></o>

1- splice the 12g to the 10g and solder them together and insulate the joint (this would just give me 2 joints, the spice and the ES3 joint)<o></o>

2- use a dean or ES5 (big enough for 10g) on the battery then create a jumper from the Dean or ES5 with 12g wire to the ES3 connector (this gives me 3 solder joints)<o></o>

<o></o>

I am open for ideas! Except for putting a gas engine in!!<o></o>

<o></o>

Thanks for any input!!<o></o>

<o></o>

Bob<o></o>

Old 08-12-2010, 09:15 AM
jzrf6c

Default RE: splicing a 10 gage wire down to a 12 gage

I don't see the need to go from 10g to 12g then the connector. Just solder the end of the 10g, flatten it and solder it to the connector.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:03 AM
ByLoudDesign

He is right.! My Turnigy batteries came with 5.5mm bullets instaled? You are putting in a arming switch!?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:19 AM
bob418

I think what I will do, is jsut move everything to dean connectors this allows me to solder any wire directly to the connector and gets rid of the splices or jumpers

My ESC has an arming switch, just need to get rid of the useless turingy conectors!

thanks all this helps

Also i figured out if I "Tin my 10 gauge wire and then slot the tinned end with a dremal tool I will have a very good srface to solder my 10 g to my dean!!!

Thanks!!!!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Glacier Girl

Bob, what you could easily do, if you have a good set of wire stripper pliers. Strip off the insulation, then move down a size or two on the cutter jaws. It will trim off some of the diameter of the wire. Just enough to fit your connector. Solder away and you're done.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:53 AM
ByLoudDesign

I went with all 5.5mm bullets, used a powerpole arming switch #6980 from Maxx Products! I cut out the jumper for the black9Neg.) lead and put 5.5mm bullets on one end the switch, and I had bought a set of gendered 5.5mm daul connectors to put on the the other end and attached the right length jump with another 5.5mm bullet for the Blk lead back to the batteries. I put the mating 5.5mm dual connector on the input to the ESC and then have 5.5mm bullets for the ESC to motor runs. Would have used a three lead bullet connector for the preceeding but could not find one in the right size. BTW I have used 12 GA wire throughout. The exception being the 10 GA on the batrteries and Motors. I went to a lot of trouble to get rid of as many solder jobs and connection as possible as tese are the points where the failure happens! I bought the wire and the reb, white and blue shrink tubing from http://www.elecdrict.com. Because the minimum wire length was 50', I got GREEN wire and will color code the ends with the shrink tubing!