RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-general-discussion-106/)
-   -   Glue questions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-general-discussion-106/11592962-glue-questions.html)

JohnS 01-11-2014 11:19 AM

Glue questions

I just received my Nitroplanes Neptune flying wing (ARF) made out of EPO foam. I read alot of the posts on EPO foam and still have some questions re: the various adhesives. I already used canopy glue to secure the carbon fiber tube wing joiner to the center section (seemed to work very well, but the stuff is very thin). So here goes my questions.

1. Would you use canopy glue to join the wings to the center section? Would gorilla glue be better?

2. Would you use canopy glue or gorilla glue for the smaller things like 2 vertical stabs and plastic servo protectors on the bottom of the wing?

3. The servos look like they are already glued in, but I am not positive. I was thinking to use some clear silicone adhesive on the corners and edges of each servo so I could peel it off and replace a servo if need be. I also might want to put some silicone in the wire trenches for the servo wires. What do you think?

Any help would be appreciated because this is my first venure with EPO foam.

ray foley 01-19-2014 11:00 AM

hi there from Toledo

Answers to questions:

1. No, use epoxy you need the strength there.

2. Neither, thin or medium foam safe CA for the Vstabs, clear tape for the servo covers you may need access to the servos in the future.

3. Good thinking, go for it.

General thoughts: Some folks like gorilla glue, I think it makes more mess than it is worth, just my $.02. Canopy glue works well on canopies, medium foam safe CA or epoxy would be a better choice for the spars and parts that are loaded during flight.

ciao -rjf

Jetdesign 01-19-2014 05:17 PM

The silicone is a cool idea, let us know how it goes.

I personally would use foam-safe CA for most things.

JohnS 01-20-2014 06:35 AM

Thanks, guys. Good info. Now I can move ahead with getting this beast in the air.

rc lifer 01-21-2014 10:00 AM

Foam Cure from Bob Smith Industries is formulated for EPO , and works real well for me. It has great strength and remains simi flexible like canopy glue. I just used it on a butt glued center section on my 27 in Superfly delta wing build. Another good EPO glue is Welder Adhesive that you can find at most hardware stores and some auto parts suppliers.

DaveHickey 01-21-2014 02:52 PM

Welders will melt EPO (that's Expanded POlystyrene). Use Epoxy, Beacon FoamTac or LockTite Stich and Seal. D.H.

rotorboy2.4gh 01-31-2015 11:03 PM

Welders Glue

Originally Posted by DaveHickey (Post 11716646)
Welders will melt EPO (that's Expanded POlystyrene). Use Epoxy, Beacon FoamTac or LockTite Stich and Seal. D.H.

WELDERS GLUE works AWESOME with EPO foam!!!